back to article Oooooh! Fashion! Yes, 1m-plus accounts on clothes, trinket websites exposed by lax security

Naff computer security at an e-commerce provider potentially exposed the details of more than a million unique accounts on British clothing and accessory shopping websites, infosec experts have confirmed. Sub-optimal security at Fashion Nexus meant a white-hat hacker, Taylor Ralston, was able to access databases containing …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A new way to damage a company...

Breach and report. Maybe the Ministry of Fun could try this as a money spinner.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Yet again...

... PR-speak is allowed to get away with the "we take it seriously" line without being challenged.

Come on, el Reg, you can do better than this: either they get challenged to prove it and the reply also gets published or that bit of the statement doesn't get published at all.

1. israel_hands

Re: Yet again...

If you read Cluely's blog their original response when he asked if they were going to notify anyone was "no". Just that in an e-mail reply to him.

Proof enough that they don't give a shit and the PR bollocks is just that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet again...

Any chance of seeing the risk analysis / assessment?

3. adam payne

Fashion Nexus take our clients and their customer's data security extremely seriously and we apologise that we have come up short in this instance.

Is there a free template online somewhere for breach announcements?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Is there a free template online somewhere for breach announcements?"

I think it's a standard question in PR job interview scripts. They're not required to know what it means.

4. DJV Silver badge

I think...

...I may be safe in this instance as I neither understand nor "do" fashion.

1. VinceH

Re: I think...

Ditto - which is why I'm baffled as to why a bunch of online clothes shops have people's dates of birth on file. Do they apply some kind of rule when browsing their websites to ensure people over a certain age don't try wearing fashionable things and thus make them uncool, or something?

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Meh

It's to send you a voucher on your birthday. As far as Google and any other nosy site is concerned, I was born in 1899.

I get some very odd emails.

Need a grumpy old man icon...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It's to send you a voucher on your birthday."

In which case, provided you're actually interested in the product, the more birthdays you have registered the better.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fashion is what happens when everyone else is wearing what I do every day. Phfffpppt!

5. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

20% test accounts?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like