back to article PayPal, Google ordered to make suspected pirates walk the plank into freezing waters

PayPal and Google have been hit with court injunctions telling them to freeze accounts associated with websites hosting pirated content. Florida judge Kevin Michael Moore signed off [PDF] on the injunctions, believed to be the first time that a copyright holder has managed to get at the finances of a website operator. The …

1. DerGoat
    Pint

Immortality?

" ... we have received notice that you are deceased... this breach is not capable of remedy."

PayPal can make me live forever by breaching their contracts? Hmmm ...

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Immortality?

Au contraire, they acknowledged that there was no possibility of remedy, once your dead you're as dead as one can get and there's no coming back

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI / Automation is wonderful, isn't it?

We're coming to get your dead bones. No excuse!

Can't wait for more AI to take decisions about US:

------------

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44466213

Can we trust AI if we don't know how it works?

------------

"We're at an unprecedented point in human history where artificially intelligent machines could soon be making decisions that affect many aspects of our lives. But what if we don't know how they reached their decisions? Would it matter?

Imagine being refused health insurance - but when you ask why, the company simply blames its risk assessment algorithm. Or if you apply for a mortgage and are refused, but the bank can't tell you exactly why.

Or more seriously, if the police start arresting people on suspicion of planning a crime solely based on a predictive model informed by a data-crunching supercomputer."

1. Palpy

Re: Imagine being refused...

"Imagine being refused health insurance - but when you ask why, the company simply blames its risk assessment algorithm."

I don't have to imagine. When nerve impingement in my lower back started making my legs go numb, my "insurance" management company -- PacificSource, to name names -- denied the neurologist's request for an MRI. I called them. They said, in essence, "We employ an outside firm to evaluate medical necessity; we do not decide to deny coverage for a procedure, they do. We do what they say, and that's that." I asked for a contact number for that firm, and was told it was not possible for me to speak to them. I got a number anyway, and reached a very flustered young man who said, again in essence, "You should not be calling here. There is no line for patients. Please hang up now."

Point being, faceless, semi-secret entities are already denying health care, without patient input or recourse.

My advice: carpet-bomb the provider. Contact everyone from the Better Business Bureau to your representative in Congress, your state governor, insurance regulators, the HR department in your company (if that's who coordinates insurance coverage), and everyone else you can think of. Do it in writing, do it on the phone. I didn't get to the point of posting scathing YouTube videos about PacificSource, because I got coverage for the MRI first.

Oh, and I'm better now. Thanks for asking.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Imagine being refused...

But I have to wonder if ALL of them simply reply, "Coverage Denied. Go Somewhere and DIE"? AND post their response on YouTube first (to scoop you)? AND get lauded for culling the population? I've yet to see a mass "America Sucks! Move to Canada!" campaign yet...

2. wayward4now
      Big Brother

Re: AI / Automation is wonderful, isn't it?

"Or more seriously, if the police start arresting people on suspicion of planning a crime solely based on a predictive model informed by a data-crunching supercomputer."

Who knows, that might be better than what we have now, some over-reaching public services people who bring their bias and prejudice into decision making processes which WILL have you arrested.

3. a_yank_lurker

Reason for success

They were successful because they were narrow. Narrowness means they were doing their homework and throwing mud at the wall and hoping some sticks. Judges like it when you do your homework.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I closed my deceased wife's Pay Pal account last year but still got an e-mail regarding update of terms and conditions!

1. eionmac

As my PayPall account is secret , how could anyone else know of it to close it?

1. Charles 9

PayPal knows, of course, as they're the other side of the relationship. And they CAN be compelled to release information by a court order or the like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like