back to article Nostalgic social network 'Timehop' loses data from 21 million users

A service named “Timehop” that claims it is “reinventing reminiscing” – in part by linking posts from other social networks – probably wishes it could go back in time and reinvent its own security, because it has just confessed to losing data describing 21 million members and can’t guarantee that the perps didn’t slurp private …

1. Mark 85

Maybe a scorecard is needed for security breaches such as Timehop gets 100 points for admitting this rather quickly and not waiting weeks or months. But they loose 21 Million points for the users who were compromised.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd give them another 100 points for having a prominent black bar at the top of their home page announcing the breach.

Still leaves them at -20,999,900 points though.

2. Paul 87

Well someone wants to test the domino effect on GDPR early on, let's see whether Facebook, Twitter, or their cloud provider end up with liability for either not letting keys die, or for not enforcing 2fa on an account of that size

1. BRYN

Be nice if it happens....

But since GDPR is eurocentric legislation I doubt anything will be said or done.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Be nice if it happens....

"since GDPR is eurocentric legislation I doubt anything will be said or done"

Pay attention at the back there. If the site has EU-resident users it applies no matter where the owning company is based nor where the site is hosted.

3. CraPo

Timehop has “deactivated these keys so they can no longer be used by anyone - ”

"so you’ll have to re-authenticate to our App."

We promise we won't screw it up again!

4. Updraft102

Social media?

Are people still doing that? I would have thought that fad would have ended by now.

(I don't think of posts on sites like this to be social media, since they're based on something real and substantive.)

5. theExecutive

No IP Logs

It never happened, however if yu check your IP vs the IP that was reading your data, it did :)

6. Wolfclaw

Going out of business when they get hit with the EU fine, if we ever see the EU do anything !

7. GIRZiM

What were you doing a year ago today? Two years? Three years? Timehop helps you celebrate and share the most nostalgic moments of your past.

Why not simply Every day, tap through your old photos, videos, & posts from your phone, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Swarm?

There, fixed that for them.

8. GnuTzu
    Facepalm

Reminiscing About Data Breaches

Or, learning from history. Oh the irony.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like