back to article In World Cup Russia, our Wi-Fi networks will log on to you!

The upcoming soccer World Cup will present no shortage of security dangers for travelers looking to get online in the host cities. Security house Kaspersky Lab said its researchers looked at 32,000 public Wi-Fi hotspots in the 11 Russian cities hosting the World Cup this year and found that one in five are using no protection …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Why would you even let Russia host the world cup ?

- Shooting down a plane full of innocent people...

- Annexing another sovereign country...

- Meddling in the democratic elections of other countries....

- Poisoning and killing people in foreign countries...

- Cheating on the Olympics...

Why-the-F*CK would you give a country like that the honor of hosting the world cup ?

1. iromko
      Facepalm

Re: Why would you even let Russia host the world cup ?

And given all that, I don't understand why would any sane person travel to said World Cup. So any useful idiots attending this event fully deserve having their phones hacked into and their asses beaten by Cossack morality patrols sniffing around W. Cup venues for suspected gay activity.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the-F*CK

Money?

3. Winkypop Silver badge

Yes.

Money.

It's big-sport, it's corrupt.

Da.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FIFA - One of the most corrupt organisations on the planet.

5. MonkeyCee

"Why-the-F*CK would you give a country like that the honor of hosting the world cup ?"

Because FIFA is well known for it's integrity, honesty and impartial decision making.

Russia winning the hosting rights was what caused the feds to investigate FIFA, since corruption is fine as long as it doesn't favor the other guy.

Bear in mind that your last three points are by no means exclusive to Russia, the UK, USA and France are certainly engaging in those activities. There's just less reporting on those activities.

6. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Windows

More importantly, why the f*#k should we care about a couple of dozen people kicking a ball around a field? It's mostly a kids game and at that just a way of keeping them active.

So, frankly, I don't give a flying rat's arse where this competition is held. It's of no more relevance than the international sheep-shearing world championship.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

More importantly, why the f*#k should we care about a couple of dozen people kicking a ball around a field?

I feel pretty much the same about organized sport. Then again, it sure beats a shooting war.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

no more relevance than the international sheep-shearing world championship.

Am looking forward to seeing you again at the next Golden Shears! I think it's your round.

7. Wolfclaw

"because they gave us the biggest bag of unttracable cash", a FIFA spokesdroid replied !

8. An nonymous Cowerd

So , I actually agree with you, I prefer USA to Russia, but I've done a bit more research

Why would you even let Russia host the world cup ?

- Shooting down a plane full of innocent people...

https://www.britannica.com/event/Iran-Air-flight-655

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/world/europe/itavia-flight-870-ruling-adds-support-to-a-theory.html

- Annexing another sovereign country...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/the-last-time-the-us-invaded-mexico-214738

- Meddling in the democratic elections of other countries....

https://www.npr.org/2016/12/22/506625913/database-tracks-history-of-u-s-meddling-in-foreign-elections

- Poisoning and killing people in foreign countries...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/opinion/agent-orange-vietnam-effects.html

- Cheating on the Olympics...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/us-olympic-team-cheating-russia_us_5a2aca81e4b073789f695a21

Why-the-F*CK would you give a country like that the honor of hosting the world cup ?

The food's not that good in russia, the politicos are all corrupt, some/most of the people there are very nice & intelligent , and some are very drunk. USA has better food, people are also nice - I don't think theres anything creative that I can say about the US securocrats/politicos and their trillion dollar budget, they already have all your data!

for the Wi-Fi, would suggest doing what alternative comedian Frankie Boyle did when he recently toured Russia looking for hooligans, he bought a local phone for a very good price [it helpfully came complete with social media accounts and credits as it had been 'recycled'] Frankie could't find any Ruski hooligans as the KGB had already been to visit them all at home and threatened to knee-cap anyone who makes a fuss, nice.

9. peoplex

Money.

10. GnuTzu

Wait. Isn't North Korea next?

11. Potemkine! Silver badge

Football is a 'sport' played by idiots for idiots to watch. It's totally coherent the World Cup goes to Russia.

1. iromko
        Holmes

Yep, I agree with you in part. Still, football, and to lesser degree other sports with international competitions, is substitute for international violence. Basically, modern society is channeling the spirit of competitiveness towards other nations into relatively safe and civilized venue.

With that regard, it's against all logic to award World Cup to a nation which subjugates its neighbors, wages two "hot" wars, and is involved in hostile subversive operations in many other countries.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can any wifi network be secure? Once you have the password man in the middle attacks are extremely easy.

1. Pen-y-gors

Not really, but running a VPN will help a lot.

3. Spanners Silver badge
    Big Brother

50%

How does this compare with a similar investigation here?

1. Aitor 1

Re: 50%

Nothing to be seen citizen, move along.

4. mark l 2 Silver badge

It is trivial to set up a WIFI hotspot using a phone or laptop yourself in a busy public area and wait for people to connect and then start to capture their data no matter what country your in.

How a wireless hotpot is secured whether that be with WPA-2, WEP or is left open with no password has no bearing on how 'secure' you data is going across it.

Don't connect to an unknown wireless networks anywhere and expect that your data is secure unless your taking extra steps such as using a VPN.

This story smells of trying to shoehorn a world cup story onto something that has no bearing on that at all.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

A word to the wise

The upcoming soccer World Cup

World Cup has been trademarked so you have to write it and announce it always as the MAFIA™ World Cup.

I do like watching a good game of footy, whether it's a couple of amateur teams, or Platini's* France, as long as they're really having a go. But recently I really can't be arsed. Money has turned the players into mercenaries and tournaments into bazaars.

FCUM

* or other equally stylish playmaker: Best, Cruyff, etc.

6. Mark 85

I daresay that those who will go the games from other countries aren't, shall we say, tech smart. They'll never read nor hear about the insecurities and if they do, they won't really give a crap as they're "entitled". Meh....

7. LeahroyNake

I'm not going

If I was, i would buy a payg sim and throw away phone and not log on to anything without a VPN preferably over a mobile carrier rather than unsecured Wi-Fi.

It's bad enough that shopping malls track you via your Wi-Fi mac (yes I know it can be randomized to an extent). If a shopping mall can do that just imagine how much the Russian spooks, police or crims can do...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like