back to article UK mobile operator Three launches Superdrug Mobile MVNO

Mobile operator Three is launching an MVNO with health and beauty business Superdrug – the latest such deal aimed at boosting operators' presence in an increasingly challenging market. The venture is not as surprising as it might sound, as Superdrug was sold to continental drugstore Kruidvat in 2001, which in turn was flogged …

1. julian_n

Rubbish Coverage

Stick whatever badge on it - it's still 3 and their coverage is rubbish

1. IsJustabloke
      Thumb Down

Re: Rubbish Coverage

Gonna disagree.

I travel extensively in the UK, Europe and further afield (Hong Kong, USA, New Zealand) and have found their coverage to be excellent.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It was naff 10 years ago, but today there's not a lot to choose between 3 and the other networks. Some local variations, but overall coverage much the same. Need to have a VoLTE handset though as 3's coverage layer is LTE 800MHz.

1. Cynical user

You don't NEED a VoLTE handset on 3, they do use coverage layers other than 800Mhz. But that is a layer that EE & 3 both use for extended coverage for sure.

2. Steve 39

Only if the (non-iPhone) handset bought from them. Like their wifi calling (without the appalling Three in Touch app).

They've been saying they will provide non-Three bought handsets access to 800MHz and VolTE "Supervoice") and wifi calling for years.

Yes others networks do similar but that's not the point.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

honor 8 pro. unlocked supports wifi calling.

relevant? no idea.....

1. lybad

My sim-free Honor 9 also claims to allow wifi calling. I'm not entirely sure how I prove if it's using wifi or the actual network though.

The thing about VoLTE is annoying though.

I'm actually considering moving to SMARTY (another 3 MVNO) from 3 proper, as with the money back for unused data, I reckon I can halve my monthly spend.

1. tip pc Silver badge

I'm not entirely sure how I prove if it's using wifi or the actual network though.

put your phone in airplane mode and then turn wifi on and make a call (voicemail will do) if the call succeeds then its a Voice over wifi call.

Don't forget to turn airplane mode off though. I did the above the other week and took a few days to realise i was in airplane mode as calls and texts worked as before and i was in wifi coverage all times except in the car. In fact it was my car display showing Three Wifi Calling instead of just Three that prompted me to turn airplane mode off.

3. censored

Funnily enough, it completely depends where you live.

Three are pretty much the best in the Cotswolds, for some reason. EE aren't bad. Vodafone and O2 barely exist.

1. lybad

Agree with that - 3 and O2 are fine where I live, EE are passable, and Vodafone are useless.

4. Arion

I've tried 3 enough times, and been disappointed enough times, that I'm going nowhere near them.

My EE phone goes on the 3 network any time I go to Ireland, and don't get around to manually setting it to eir/meteor.

The last time I tried them in the UK, was about 3 years ago, when I figured that if they can't have good coverage in Central London (between Euston and Kings Cross), they weren't worth bothering with.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: George Orwell would have chosen Three.

The Three Network is not too bad if you are George Orwell writing your next Novel on the Isle of Jura while staying at Barnhill.

Absolutely zero coverage - PA60 7XW

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage

(Sajid Javid's, new Home Secretary, said that there "will be no safe place to hide" with his latest £750 million spending on keeping tabs on 20,000 'suspected' terrorists.

This, from an inept Government, that actively ignores the plight of 750,000 that use food banks).

6. leexgx

I would not say 3uk coverage is rubbish but I would not use them as my main mobile provider (never for business) as overall coverage is not the best but good enough

Overall coverage if you take 2g into account seems to be vodafone and then o2 and ee after that (I find O2 has best housed area coverage for 3g as they place pole masts near housed areas)

1. leexgx

I do use 3uk for there unlimited data for video streaming

I typically force the phone into LTE only mode as i generally have good to low 4g coverage but low in some spots enough for it to drop to 3g even thought signal is enough for 4g to work and stay on it when streaming video (I do lose calling having it on 4g only but the second phone is only for data only)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's me thinking by the headline it was going to be Darkmobile delivering to your door.

3. SkippyBing

CK Hutchison is owned by Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing

Sounds like the whole family will be Ka-Shing in.

Thank you, I'm here all week...

4. aidanstevens
    Meh

And you get WHAT, exactly, for your £10/month?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

under an mvno probably 200 mins unlimited text and unlimited internet, fup 4096mb

5. Mage Silver badge

MVNO

Only sort of.

You might as well claim CreateSpace, Goodreads, IMDB, ABE books, Book Depository, Souk, and Audible aren't Amazon.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop and Search Anyone?

Good luck with stop and search in London, while using an MVNO network name "Superdrug", doubt you'll be getting that phone back anytime soon.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will make for some nice Jokes

Customer: Can I have a SIM only deal that will last a month?

Staff: Would you like a headache pills with it?

Customer: ?????

Staff: Pills for the issues you might have, or pills for the headaches in speaking to our staff/call centres.

Police (stop & search) : What sort of pills are you taking?

Customer: What pills are you talking about?

Police: Is it a burner phone?

Customer: My Pills are not for burning.

Police: Do you have prescription for them?

ad infinitum

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will make for some nice Jokes

Customer: Can I have a SIM only deal that will last a month?

Staff: Would you like a headache pills with it?

Customer: ?????

Staff: Pills for the issues you might have, or pills for the headaches in speaking to our staff/call centres.

Police (stop & search) : What sort of pills are you taking?

Customer: What pills are you talking about?

Police: Is it a burner phone?

Customer: My Pills are not for burning.

Police: Do you have prescription for them?

ad infinitum

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like