Recommend Linux Distro to Learn Linux?

This topic was created by BillG .

1. BillG
    Linux

Recommend Linux Distro to Learn Linux?

I'd like to learn Linux from the insides, so I want to install a Linux distro on an unused laptop. I first want to learn how the Linux OS is structured the way I understand how Windows OS is structured - for example I know what C:\windows is for, where programs are installed, what a .DLL is, what the registry does. So I'm looking for a Linux distro that will teach me those basics, the terminology, how Linux drivers work etc.

For all I know any Linux distro will do this and this is a foolish question, but if it is, it further shows my level of newness!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Recommend Linux Distro to Learn Linux?

Linux From Scratch is just that ... building your own distribution, from scratch. But it comes with a major issue: Once you've got your perfect (for you!) distribution, you'll have to maintain it. This isn't a bad thing, you'll learn a lot, but it does tend to get a trifle tedious long-term. But I do recommend LFS if you're truly interested in learning how the nuts & bolts work.

When you're done dicking around with learning Linux, from scratch, you'll want to move on to a distro that somebody else maintains, but still expects you to understand how the system actually works. In no particular order, Slackware, Gentoo and Arch fit the bill. Any of the three would be a good place to start if you don't want to spend the time on LFS.

I personally lean towards Slackware. It's been around for a long time, and isn't going anywhere, so you're unlikely to be left hanging. It has a strong community surrounding it. And (foremost, in my mind!), it is rock solid. If it breaks, you know you've broken it. And because you broke it, you can also fix it. Knowing that you can fix it is more than half the battle.

A couple pointers: man man; man info; info info; info coreutils; vimtutor

1. BillG
        Thumb Up

Re: Recommend Linux Distro to Learn Linux?

Jake, a big Thank You for the recommendation of LFS. I'm looking over their website right now.

Also thanks for recommending Slackware, I've had way too many experiences where software I depend upon becomes abandonware.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon