back to article Unclip your pager and bag from your belt: We need to make room for a battery-powered 1TB HD

VR folk who feel they haven't got enough gear strapped to their bodies will be please to know Seagate has developed a strap-on portable drive and battery combo for HTC's Vive Focus virtual reality headset. The VR Power Drive has 1TB of capacity and a 5,000mAh battery hooked up to the headset with an integrated MicroB cable and …

1. Starace
    Boffin

Not a new idea

I had a battery powered drive hooked up to my Nokia N850 back when that was still new.

Packaging wasn't quite so tidy (battery pack + WD USB drive + OTG cable) but the result was the same.

Ultimately pointless back then, and still pretty pointless now!

2. derfer
    Coat

Is that a 1TB hard drive in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

Oh, you can't hear the question, as you've got your VR headset on!

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

A spinning disk attached to ones belt? I wonder what restrictions are included in the warranty? No running or jogging while in use? No sporting activities?

1. Shugyosha
      FAIL

Portable spinning disk

Oh, like an iPod you mean? Yeah you're right - those things were a disastrous failure.

2. Cuddles

"No running or jogging while in use? No sporting activities?"

While watching a film wearing a VR headset? No, probably not. Even the most active games are unlikely to present any meaningful issue for a modern hard drive, especially given that most people have significantly less space to prance around in than advertising materials tend to suggest and so are rather more likely to damage a hard drive by landing on it when they trip over the sofa.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HTC desperately trying to stay relevant with VR as its phone business is languishing

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/03/htc-is-looking-for-a-savior-in-vr-but-it-wont-find-it/

VR should be led by a consortium of gaming companies. There's no point letting OEMs do their own thing.

5. cmaurand

A spinning drive in something portable that's going to get bumped around...really? What year is this?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like