back to article Intel's latest promise: Our first AI ASIC chips will arrive in 2019

Intel announced a range of machine learning software tools and hinted at new chips on Wednesday, including its first commercial AI ASIC, the NNP-L1000, launching in 2019. Naveen Rao, head of AI at Intel, kickstarted Chipzilla’s first AI developer conference, AIDevCon, in San Francisco. Rao was CEO and co-founder of Nervana, a …

1. NanoMeter

Matlab

If there will be support for the ASIC chip through Matlab I might be interested.

2. cb7

Skynet is conceived

Someone pull the plug quick

3. onefang

Intel AI ASIC chips will arrive in 2019,

and the first malware abusing the new hardware bugs will arrive in 2020, to be followed by Intel owning up to these hardware bugs sometime after 2030. I expect an exclusive report on this new brand of malware from El Reg a few months before Intel owns up.

4. pɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ

AI ASIC?

I bet as soon as the cryptominers read this, they will be working out how they can use this for mining.

5. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Increased memory and compute means that there is now an increased performance of 100x since its Haswell chip"

I have to say, I have trouble imagining a calculation where a Haswell would be 100x slower than a current *CPU* but a GPU wouldn't be very much faster. There are parallel calculations and there are serial ones. The former most definitely aren't best done on a CPU. The latter most definitely haven't seen a doubling of performance every 9 months or so in this decade.

6. Jay42

Are even Tesla now better at semiconductors than Intel?

So Intel are promising in future similar TOPS performance close to what Tesla model 3's are driving around with since 2018?

There may be some finer points but basically: Not awesome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like