back to article Can you handle the tooth? AI helps dentists design fake gnashers

Artificially intelligent software has found the next industry to potentially, as the kids say, disrupt – dentistry. A team of researchers from the University of California, Berkeley and Glidewell Dental Lab have built a generative adversarial network (GAN) to automatically generate new designs of dental crowns. GANs have been …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm confused.

One second were are on about fake teeth, the next crowns.

They are not the same thing.

A good old car anology.

Fitting a crown is like fitting a new tyre

Fitting a new tooth is like replacing the entire wheel assembly.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: I'm confused.

Yeah, but where this technique helps is determining the shape of the business end of the tooth, regardless of whether just a crown is being fitted or if the whole tooth is being replaced - both procedures benefit from the food-end being of an optimal shape.

1. FlossyThePig

Re: I'm confused.

My dentist constructed one of my premolars in situ. He didn't need AI, just years of dental knowledge.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The way current design means that it can only deal with single missing teeth."

My dentist fitted a gold crown for me by the traditional method of taking a mould and waiting for the lab to return the piece.

A few years later the mirror-image one needed a crown. By then he had invested in a camera that took a 3D picture of the prepared cavity. A few minutes of CAD mouse clicking and then we chatted while a suitably coloured blank was machined to the shape. It was amazing to hear the click as it fitted into place.

Given that my teeth are somewhat irregular in layout - it takes some manual skill to grind the top surface to make a comfortable fit with the existing teeth.

The surprise was when he then produced a low tech digital camera to photograph both crowns. Apparently they were perfect examples for an international conference lecture that he was to give on the new technique.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like