back to article The secret to good cloud is ... research. Detailed product research

Thorough research into the nuances of Azure and AWS infrastructure-as-a-service will help you to avoid plenty of pain, according to Elias Khnaser, a research director at Gartner for Technical Professionals. Speaking today at the analyst firm’s Infrastructure, Operations Management and Data Center Summit in Sydney, Australia, …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So, the cloud ain't all that easy after all

All the hype about going to The Cloud (TM) seems to have been shot down in one well-prepared speech.

Every single aspect of it is subject to restrictions and possible technical points that can end up creating bottlenecks or worse.

And random file names, really ? Yeah, we humans can deal with that easy-peasy, sure. It's not as if most users can barely remember where they stored that file, now they'll also have to remember what random jumble of alpha/number chars it is called. That's going to help for sure.

I'm going to keep a printed copy of this article so I can shove it in the face of the next cloud evangelist I will inevitably meet just to see his face change.

2. mix
    Joke

Money well spent

These Gartner guys earn their money.

"Do thorough research before investing in a technology."

Wish I'd thought of that.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Holmes

It's OK

Someone else can do the research for you and then you pay them for advice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like