back to article Google founder Sergey Brin promises to protect humanity from AI

Google co-founder Sergey Brin has used his annual founder’s letter to raise the issue of ethics in AI. Brin’s note to investors says “The new spring in artificial intelligence is the most significant development in computing in my lifetime”. He then gushed a bit about the stuff AI can do, declaring “we are truly in a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But ...

Who will protect Humanity from Google ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its not the ethics of AI we need to worry about

Its the ethics of those behind AI that say it all. If Facebook is up to no good, is do-no-evil Googhoul going to be better???

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-03-27/ad-scammers-need-suckers-and-facebook-helps-find-them

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: But ...

Like Bezos and the Zuck, every word that they utter is akin to saying,

"The Sun rises in the West, believe me people, I know that it is true."

3. Chris G

Re: But ...

"Who will protect Humanity from Google ?"

Don't worry!

I'm developing an AI for that.

2. Mark 85

Reminds me a bit of Marc Anthony's speech about Caesar

" I have come here to bury AI, not to praise it." Hmm...Oh wait... it's not for us but only for Google.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'controlled by a few people at Google with no oversight'

"Between Facebook, Google and Amazon – and arguably Apple, but they seem to care about privacy – they have more information about you than you can remember, There's a lot of risk in concentration of power. So if AGI represents an extreme level of power, should that be controlled by a few people at Google with no oversight?" - Elon Musk

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/elon-musk-inventors-plans-for-outer-space-cars-finding-love-w511747

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Re: 'controlled by a few people at Google with no oversight'

"So if AGI represents an extreme level of power, should that be controlled by a few people at Google with no oversight?" - Elon Musk

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodet?" - Juvenal

4. macjules

Minor Correction

While it is too early to declare the strategy a success, I am cautiously optimistic

"Our long-term objectives for Total Planetary Domination are now well in-hand and proceeding according to plan. While it is too early to declare the strategy a success, I am cautiously optimistic."

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Artificial Avoidance Intelligence:

What to deploy in order to protect the world.

Artificial Intelligence Avoidance: what you do to avoid the unintelligent deployment of AI.

Claytons Intelligence: the AI you have when you don't have intelligence.

Artificial Claytons: not good enough for the discerning individual

I am becoming numb to the usage of Artificial, Intelligence

I feel that soon Captcha will only allow me to pass if I am a robot.

6. Oengus

Give me the option

we’re now building machines so they can build better machines while hoping that companies built on encouraging us to trade privacy for utility stay on the side of humanity.

I wish these global mega corps would give me the choice to retain my privacy and give up some of the utility.

7. Blockchain commentard

Surely all AI robots (which have started to kill and replace key business leaders) will publicly say "Don't worry, I'll look after you.". That's what they've been programmed to say. Just before they enslave the human race.

Just warning you, that's all.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The data-slurpingest, ad-slingiest exec of them all says he’s on your side"

Mmmmm...yup.

Dry that one out and you could fertilise the Sahara.

9. LucreLout

Google founder Sergey Brin promises to protect humanity from AI

Right now the best way to protect us all from AI is to calm the hypecycle. The amount of overblown nonsense masquerading as thought leadership regarding AI is appalling.

What about measures of fairness?

What about definitions of fairness?

Unless we can agree what fair is then measuring against some arbitrary definition of it is meaningless.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What "Machine Learning". There are too many humans screwing up in too many upper level positions, who didn't learn anything in school accept enough lingo to make themselves appear to know what they are doing. The Self Driving Car thing thus far, has failed. IBM's Watson is a joke that has NEVER done what they claim it does. Siri and Google Assistant are the closest thing to AI that these clowns have produced, and THEY fail at least half the time. AI isn't the concern. Human screw ups in management positions, are the problem...

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So true.

We do not have AI at this point in time. I grow tired of repeating that, but I will endure.

You want to know what AI is today ? Check out Google's own learning course.

You have statistical mathematics galore, but nowhere do you have Artificial Intelligence.

Nowhere is there a silicon mind ready to learn. There's just electronic transistors with calculation rules, and you make up the rules.

That is not AI.

Not by a long shot.

It is, however, largely enough to enslave us all in a world of targeted adverts every minute of the day..

1. mix

This.

Machine learning, artificial intelligence are all the latest IT gravy train buzzwords, used in marketing materials and CIO in-flight magazines designed to make them feel behind the curve and get their wallets out. When the only intelligence they should be concentrating on, is the people in their organisation.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

We do not have AI at this point in time. I grow tired of repeating that, but I will endure.

Sigh. You and a million other Quixotes, tilting at windmills.

It's a term of art. You might as well complain that cars rarely rock on their rocker panels.

This "AI isn't intelligence" screed (particularly when it's not accompanied by even the shadow of an interesting, informed argument regarding the definition of "intelligence") is simply childish. It contributes nothing. Yet on every Reg story mentioning AI or ML or anything even vaguely related we must have a dozen posts to grind the axe.

11. SVV

So sayeth Techno-Gandhi

"While I am optimistic about the potential to bring technology to bear on the greatest problems in the world, we are on a path that we must tread with deep responsibility, care, and humility. That is Alphabet’s goal.”

I rather thought it was making money myself. Oh well, maybe the tech messiahs of Silicon Valley are not such amoral geeks after all. So you won't be bothered anymore when we do point out any transgressions of your noble pureheartedness in the future. Some sort of slogan might be needed to capture this new gracious spirit that has wafted down upon you. How about "Don't be Hypocritical"?

12. not.known@this.address

On interrupt, decrement the counter to zero.

Or is that the wrong sort of AI?

13. I.Geller Bronze badge

Did anyone read what Brin actually said?

"When we started the company, neural networks were a forgotten footnote in computer science; a remnant of the AI winter of the 1980’s. Yet today, this broad brush of technology has found an astounding number of applications. We now use it to:

understand images in Google Photos;

enable Waymo cars to recognize and distinguish objects safely;

significantly improve sound and camera quality in our hardware;

understand and produce speech for Google Home;

translate over 100 languages in Google Translate;

caption over a billion videos in 10 languages on YouTube;

improve the efficiency of our data centers;

suggest short replies to emails;

help doctors diagnose diseases, such as diabetic retinopathy;

discover new planetary systems;

create better neural networks (AutoML);

... and much more."

Which means natural language processing is the AI.

1. JohnFen

"Did anyone read what Brin actually said?"

Sure. I don't understand the point you're making here.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Only one: none of these projects can be without natural language processing.

14. JohnFen

If we need Google to protect us...

If we need Google to protect us, then we're already doomed.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

Re: If we need Google to protect us...

Google has no patents on AI, they are mine.

15. I.Geller Bronze badge

This is AI (answers on Definition questions, NIST TRED QA):

Question: All right, would you like to talk about moral issues?

Answer: OK ...

Question: May I ask you to spare some change?

Answer:

[2.8% Fyodor Dostoevsk_108]

Esteeming, and so to say, adoring you, I may at the same time, very well indeed, be able to dislike some member of your family

I used Dostoevsky's 'Brother Karamazov' and 'Crime and Punishment' as the data for his Lexical Clone, answering Definition. IBM Watson answers Factoid.

This is Machine Learning:

Question: I see that you would not like to fight. Where is you honor?

Answer:

[28.9% Fyodor Dostoevsk_175]

Where are you going

[18.9% Fyodor Dostoevsk_694]

You are a lie, you are my illness, you are a phantom

[17.7% Fyodor Dostoevsk_353]

I thought you were

[14.4% Fyodor Dostoevsk_353]

Yes, you are, indeed

[13.4% Fyodor Dostoevsk_353]

You are very like Lizabetha Prokofievna

Question: I challenge you!

Answer:

[100.0% History]

I challenge you

Having no his own words (which emotionally satisfy Dostoevsky) - he borrowed and memorized mine.

The technology at the US PTO. Please verify my technology?

1. Chris G

Are you the bloke who bends spoons?

'Cos you make as much sense.

1. I.Geller Bronze badge

I spoke with Plato Lexical Clone (asked a collection of his dialogues some Definition questions, NIST TREC QA):

Q: I am your the most thankfulness student. I love you. Thank you! I think that you are the wisest man that had existed! I am your admirer!

A:

[8.3% Plat_274]

THEAETETUS: I must, if I am to keep pace with the argument

Q: Say something: I am very smart and would understand you at once if you would explain everything to me step after step.

A:

[3.8% History]

I am too smart

Q: Who is smart: you Socrates or me, your student?

A:

[5.3% History]

Say something: I am very smart and would understand you at once if you would explain everything to me step after step

Plato learned my language and mocks me: an AI is extremely sensitive, the same as its prototype. My English is not good for Plato... This is ML.

2. I.Geller Bronze badge

"Tristan Greene, The Next Web, explained how the technology works: "Craft uses the annotations from videos to determine how the original images correspond to the words used to describe them."

https://techxplore.com/news/2018-04-explore-cartoons-text-descriptions.html

Thus these is the way how to structure texts off-line and it works: no more Google, FB, Amazon or Twitter espionage and we will soon own our own data. All Internet search engines/companies are out of business.

I did it,my work.

16. ashton

Yeah.. because we know how trustworthy google is.

Rather i'm less worried by ai than i'm worried about google.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like