back to article Forking hell! VMware now has TWO current versions of vSphere

VMware has given vAdmins a new version of vSphere, numbered 6.7. As predicted and detected by The Register's virtualization desk, it's not a huge release. But it is both a slightly confusing and rather significant one. The significance first: this release is a signal of just how much VMware believes in hybrid clouds. Evidence …

1. Mayday
    WTF?

VMware is driving me potty.

Warning. Rant incoming.

All of this version changes (depending on what product we play with) and how you need X to talk to Y but version Z has deprecated ABC which Y you have before already has but because you haven't got Enterprise super duper licence you need blah blah blah.

Makes me wonder why I waste my time keeping my VCP current, but considering how hard it was to get to begin with is really the only reason it's worth keeping. Doing a course to qualify for an exam WTF?

From the "Certification Benefits" page:

Recognition of your technical knowledge and skills:

I already know this shit. Some test where I need to memorise obscure lines of doco doesnt demonstrate this.

Greater opportunities for career advancement:

Isn't all our shit in the cloud anyway?

Official transcripts:

Whoopdee doo

VMware Digital Badge:

Awesome. I can put a gif on my LinkedIn profile

Use of the certification logo:

See above

Access to the exclusive portal & logo merchandise store:

Wow you're letting me buy a VMware t shirt

Invitation to beta exams and classes:

I am sick of exams as it is

Discounts from VMware Press:

Might be ok. Although the only reason I'd buy a stupid book is to maintain certification anyway

Discounted admission to VMware events:

You need to pay me to go to those

Rant complete. For now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: VMware is driving me potty.

completely agree...I just re-certified for 6.5..and I have to ask myself...why? other than not wanting to beg my company to pay for a $4k class....Should just get a AWS cert

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like