back to article Lenovo sends EMEA exec into metaphorical burning building

Lenovo is parachuting an EMEA exec into its North America computer division that has recorded year-on-year sales declines for the past six consecutive quarters. Pascal Bourguet, who joined Lenovo from HP Inc in 2015 and most recently headed PC ops for EMEA, is new chief category officer across the pond, an internal memo seen …

1. Christian Berger

They could have it so easy

Just continue the product lines from IBM. I have an aging X200 and I'm slowly looking for a replacement. Unfortunately there is none being offered from Lenovo. The new ones come with buggy UEFI and even ditch essential features like the Thinklight.

If you want to improve products you must first understand what people like about them, then, and only then, you can actually make improvements.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: They could have it so easy

Was the ThinkLight the little LED above the screen that illuminated the keyboard?

Always struck me as a bit twee.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

losing the ability to order repair parts from the IBM supply chain without offering a replacement supply route was the bottom line for our Corporation.

Don't want to give end user's repair manuals? Don't want believe your customers are competent enough to replace their own Display? - LOL (my God man, what have we been doing for the last 20+ years???)

Congrats Dell.

1. joed

No repair manual but - allegedly - you'll now have to certify your team (unlikely for free) to make any in house repairs or upgrades (if any possible). And with the whole BS of "supply" constraints it's no wonder their sales slide when equipment is not delivered on time (or at all).

2. TMA84

Is your problem related to the fact you can't get the parts directly from IBM? Are you aware that Lenovo partners with Flextronics in EMEA and Flextronics can get you parts for pretty much anything you need?

Lenovo also provide teardown videos for pretty much everything they sell, documentation also!

Not sure what you are getting at here?

2. TheGriz

Make A Better Product PERIOD!

I've been in IT for 20 yrs, and deployed hardware from Dell, HP, and Lenovo.

The Lenovo products are in my personal opinion the worst. Their L series laptops don't even have a "drive activity light" which IMO is insane. I can't count the number of times I've troubleshot a laptop or PC acting up, by using a drive activity light to ascertain what is going on with the system. Another example is with the HP 6xx series laptops you could push ONE button on the underside and instantly have access to the insides of the laptop. With Lenovo laptops you have to remove multiple screws and then literally PRY the chassis apart, you feel like you're breaking into the damn things instead of servicing them.

Bottom line is this, make a superior product to your competition and the sales will come naturally. If you try to build the cheapest of cheap laptops, well no one will want to buy them. End of story.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Make A Better Product PERIOD!

"Another example is with the HP 6xx series laptops you could push ONE button on the underside and instantly have access to the insides of the laptop."

Many other HP Elitebook/Zbook business laptops had the same super easy cover.

Alas, HP has abandoned it lately and most computers have a dozen or so torx/philips screws under the rubber feet you first need the pry out. Since the rubber feet are apparently stuck with some sort of adhesive they won't stay quite there... wha a pity.

2. ofnuts

Re: Make A Better Product PERIOD!

"Another example is with the HP 6xx series laptops you could push ONE button on the underside and instantly have access to the insides of the laptop."

It makes it so easy to steal SDD/HDD even when the PC is attached.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like