back to article Cisco, Intel, Red Hat take aim at closed 5G radio systems

Cisco has used Mobile World Congress 2018 to tout a group of vendors working on open tech for the mobile radio access network. “Virtual RAN” – Radio Access Network – refers to a shift in base station architecture away from proprietary functions running on vendor-specific base station hardware. vRAN remakes the mobile network …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow....

...talk about pots and kettles.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Virtualised, general-purpose computers in the carrier core

"vRAN remakes the mobile network .. the base station becomes a minimally-featured radio unit, with baseband, management, and subscriber functions on shared, virtualised, general-purpose computers in the carrier core."

All I want from my carrier is a TCP/IP connection, the rest I can manage myself. I would have thought putting such functionality in the base stations was more reliable than in some centralized core. Besides if my 'computer' resides in the core then anyone-and-his dog can access it, without a warrant?

"Tech Mahindra's blog post says mobile network virtualisation efforts to date centre on the packet core and IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem)."

What?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Backchannel

I hate it when my set-top box auto updates channel information and re-tunes my TV, it is always when I am watching something important to me. It undoes all my own customization and causes me to spend time fixing it.

That said a radio enabled Modem could be firmware upgraded over the airwaves, if it was in need, this would over come lack of experience and capacity of many owners, as is the current situation, but who could say it would be better and worth the risk of peoples modems being open to firmware hacking, and that it was worth it.

All I reckon one would get is push-advertising, and annoying interruptions at the worst of times.

and what level of capacity would the radio modem provide - full Broadband ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021