back to article Q: Why did the Cisco cross the network? A: To automate what's on the other side

Cisco has extended its Network Services Orchestrator (NSO) and WAN Automation Engine in the hope that service providers will see them as a way to achieve automated management of all the kit in their networks, regardless of who made it. As explained to El Reg by Cisco's senior veep and general manager of Service Provider …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cisco attempt to regain total control of the internet

In no way is giving Cisco or US Government control of your network a bad thing

They are of comparable security and value for money to their competitors and you will never find that you are no longer in control of your own expensive hardware.

Whilst we are about it why not just give me your house keys to hold onto for you, that way they will never be lost and you can have access to them whenever you like®

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Gee, let's outsource all your networks to Cisco and get rid of our "expensive" in-house talent. As if we don't have a steady drumbeat of how well that has worked in the past. Sounds to my ears something right out of Larry Ellison's house. I've no problem with AT&T getting the shaft: I've a problem with their customers getting the shaft. As a prime example from history, IBM used to make the same argument as well. Just let us integrate your disparate hardware for you and we'll support you into the future. That's gone by the wayside as a result of IBM shooting themselves in the groin in a death by redundancies.

3. blondie101

Trusting Cisco in writing code?

I've never seen a hardware manufacturer write decent code. Be it HP, IBM, Dell and also Cisco. They can' t even write code that update their own equipment flawless. And now Cisco is supposed to be trusted with operation automation?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

or alternatively

how about throwing out Cisco and moving to a completely open networking model?

Much safer,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like