back to article Roses are red, violets are blue, VMware's made a new vSphere for you

VMware's still trying to encourage upgrades to version 6.0 and 6.5 of its vSphere platform, but that hasn't stopped it from working on a new version too. The Register understands that new effort will likely emerge as vSphere 6.7 and probably appear in the second quarter of 2018 now that a beta program announced in October 2017 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMware's still trying to encourage upgrades to version 6.0 and 6.5.

Upgrades often require new hardware.

Upgrades add risk.

Upgrades make admins sweat when things don't go as planned.

Upgrades often promise more but don't always hold out.

6.0. Works find for our vms.

6.0 allows my clients to keep working.

I am not ready for a refresh.

I am already busy with other essential, business requirements.

When will software manufacturers realise that they are not the ones making the decision for us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

calm down dear...

2. Doogie Howser MD

I'm jealous of the fact you have requirements. Every project I work on I ask for these on day one, only to be met with the response "I dunno, what does <x> do?".

3. Nate Amsden

5.5 works fine here too. Only reason i plan to upgrade some time this year is to maintain support, 5.5 expires in several months. Though my track record of needing support once or twice a year doesn't have me too concerned. I upgraded to 5.5 from 4.1 (where upgrade means reinstall everything but vcenter, which was on 5.0 I believe), well past 4.1s end of life (wasn't aware at the time it had expired)

I think I will go 6.5 though my older DL385G7s officially stop at 6.0 for support.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you don't plan to do software upgrades, you shouldn't work with software. There's always bugfixes/improvements in latest patches of code and it's your job to keep track and upgrade it.

But hey! If you're lazy and don't want to handle the risk, sure! Focus on the business tasks and let others to the upgrade.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Never mind the story, I want to see the rest of that picture so I can see what those robots are saying to each other.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upgrade...

For anyone wanting to do a swing migration to a new 6.5/6.7 cluster check out the fling.

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/cross-vcenter-workload-migration-utility

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like