back to article UK web grocer Ocado takes £500k hit after robo-warehouse tech splurge

Middle-class Brit online supermarket nirvana Ocado posted losses of £500,000 for 2017, down from £12m profit the previous year – largely thanks to its "transformation" into a technology provider flogging robot-operated warehouses. The company splashed £42.8m on technology last year, up from £34.3m the year before. That …

1. g00se
    Facepalm

I bought

10,000 Ocado shares but found they'd given me 10,000 avocados as a substitution

1. }{amis}{
      Go

Re: I bought

Given that they have to post armed guards around avocado farms because they are worth so much you got a deal : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41635008

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

10,000 avocados as a substitution

That may be a blessing in disguise.

Warning, oglaf is generally considered NSFW, though this one is pretty tame:

https://www.oglaf.com/incubus/

3. Alister

That's 'cos you said "Can I 'av ocado's shares...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Guacamole party at yours then?

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

£35.7m to develop its own proprietary software

Does that seem a little steep to anyone else?

1. tin 2

Just came on here to say exactly that. Need to get me a job in software it seems.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Does that seem a little steep to anyone else?

Not really. The cost of 100 developers + supporting testers and admin personnel and an office in UK for a year.

If it is a real robotic warehouse and they managed to finish it in 100 man years that is actually quite impressive. The man year numbers for similar projects VW and other places have tried in the past are much, much higher.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The man year numbers for similar projects VW and other places have tried in the past are much, much higher.

Not much of a comparison. I've worked for a German company, anything they do is measured in man-millennia. They over-resource the most basic of projects with legions of senior managers and then all of their trusted oiks, and the outcome is rarely anything like the initial intention. Usually these projects start with a statement of scope, and "X" is specifically and deliberately out of scope, and would you know it, by the end of the project, they've spent millions and the only thing they've got is a rubber-stamped recommendation to deliver "X", which the board then accept. Leading on to another project....

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

100 devs , 20 testers ,30 admin = 150 people

35700000 / 150 = £238,000 Salarys . nice .

3. Loud Speaker

Yes.

I have just developed some software of my own. It cost me $37, and it was delivered on time and to spec. But I don't work for Ocado or the government.

3. dcolley511

Wouldn't go anywhere near them.

There's some warning signs here. Share price dropped 7% but bounced straight back. Profit margin (EBITDA vs revenue) is only 6%, tenuous. They raised some £1?0m from the share issue because their profit is 'only' £60-80m yearly - why do they need the extra cash so badly? They're also on a historic share price high, performance for the last few years has been 'meh'. And their investor centre stinks of bullshit - lots of 'highlights' but no focus on the balance sheet. I'm no Warren Buffett, but nope.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Wouldn't go anywhere near them.

I think the article hints at the problem: doing near real time delivey of fresh groceries is Nirvana. It's probably cheaper just to pay someone to get your shopping for you.

However, they seem to have identified that they're customers are supermarkets trying to improve their processes and might be developing some good technology along the way.

The numbers aren't good but they're not as bad as they were. If this were America, of course, investors would be piling in…

2. Old Timer

Re: Wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Depends what they are spending on capital investments which don't affect net profit in full but do affect cash flow

4. Sam 15
    Facepalm

Nice Pic Reg

Ocado's USP is the fact that it doesn't have supermarkets - it's all done on-line.

Well done for illustrating the story with a pic of a punter - in a supermarket.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Nice Pic Reg

Except that Ocado now works for the supermarkets… It's essentially a logistics company but I'll happily take the picture to give the article some context.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unsure

I heard their lead tech guy doing a talk a while back - he was incredibly arrogant and obsessed by the wifi density they get in their automated warehouses. His view was that anyone not using their tech (or something like it) is finished. It is clever (did seem unnecessarily over-engineered though) but is it transformative for the population? Probably not.

I wonder if their obsession with their tech is driving this approach. Good luck to them, but its a lot of investment in a very limited market and Ocado is not Amazon.

1. AGITA018

Re: Unsure

I think I was also at the same talk, I'd concur that it was a little OTT but on pure tech grounds some of what they had done was impressive and clever, not sure if I'd say useful though

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like