back to article Iranian military hacker fingered for 'Game of p0wns' HBO leak

The United States' Department of Justice has identified a suspect in July's attack on Home Box Office, naming an Iranian national, Behzad Mesri, in an indictment unsealed Tuesday, November 21. Announcing the charges, acting Manhattan US attorney Joon Kim said Mesri is “had previously hacked computer systems for the Iranian …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forever?

“Mesri now stands charged with federal crimes, and although not arrested today, he will forever have to look over his shoulder until he is made to face justice”

Isn't there some statute of llimitations covering this? I mean, grabbing couple of episodes of a show which will likely be forgotten by most of its viewers in ten years and some HR files is hardly genocide. It would look a bit stupid to try an nonagenarian ex-hacker for something like this, sixty years from now, would it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Forever?

Redundancy alert: US Government & Looking a Bit Stupid.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My understanding of the statute of limitations in the US is that the "clock" on charges is stopped while you are out of the jurisdiction under which you've been charged. Technically that's true even across state lines, so if I broke a law in Alaska tomorrow and was charged for that crime after I'd left, and then visited Alaska again 20 years from now they could arrest me and make me face trial even if the statute of limitations on that crime would otherwise have long expired. Probably if the crime was so minor they wouldn't bother extraditing me they wouldn't bother arresting me when I returned but you never know.

Since Iran isn't going to extradite one of their citizens to the US - especially if he was working for the government - over this, the clock will remain forever stopped. He'd have to visit a country that had an extradition treaty with the US to have any worry though. Technically that could be Iran if someday relations got better, but in that case I imagine such cases would be dropped by mutual agreement.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

The clock stops??

Whats the thinking there? Sounds like a cheat , like when you stop an SLA because we are "waiting response from customer" (and then let it ride to avoid breach).

If you went back to Alsaka and they said "AHA! you're back ! about that speeding ticket ..." whats to stop you just saying "Never been away mate"

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

It would look a bit stupid to try an nonagenarian ex-hacker for something like this, sixty years from now, would it?

It would, but then Mickey Mouse goes into the public domain in 2024 so the only way copyright law is going to go is more ridiculous.

2. Anonymous c0w@®d

game of p0wns

Someone please start a rip-off sseries using that name!

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: game of p0wns

You *REALLY* do not want to know about rip off series' of Game of thrones. Someone we know.....

NO. not doing this

Dammit, left my mind bleach at home, anyone have a bottle I can borrow?

3. Michael Habel

Surly the CIA has better things to do then bother this poor smuck? Or?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Well, ISIS hasn't been looking so well recently, so I suppose they are a bit idle in the arm & train department.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like