job ads get ignored
By me, very often
When I look at the HR speak & random contradictory guff
Here are a few lines (and my translations / comments) from a recent one
"Takes responsibility for continuous self –learning. "(translation: we provide no training)
"Positive and constructive minded
Takes the lead and makes decisions in critical times and tough circumstances.
Has a ‘can do’ attitude, counteracting the negativity of others, putting a positive spin on things.
Displays enthusiasm, is animated, infectious, encouraging and positive."
Translates as: If the code / architecture is bad / insecure or similarly not fit for purpose then try and hide its a POS and slap down for "negativity" anyone who says maybe we should make a good product
When one of the lines is:
"Advise on security and performance aspects of applications."
Then bound to be lots of non positive comments/. perceived negativity as always security & performance issues to be found (and lot's you cannot do very much about in terms of underlying hardware, OS, 3rd party applications etc) so which one of these requirements has to give way?
Fully glory of job spec blurb below.
The candidates will have to love writing code in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment and take pride in writing elegant bullet proof solutions that our customers interact every day.
The Company seeks a .NET developer to implement high performing technical solutions. You will be responsible for developing, enhancing, modifying and/or maintaining applications that serve multiple industries
· Design, build and implement cutting edge solutions to complex problems in a .NET/MS SQL environment.
· Design and implement middle-tier business objects, components, web services, and database systems using a variety of languages like C#, JQuery and T-SQL in MVC or Web-Forms architecture patterns.
· Stand-up and deploy environments in Azure, AWS and private dedicated environments
· Perform hardware/network-related troubleshooting while fulfilling the creative vision of the project by working closely with the Front End Developers and Data Architects
· Advise on software architecture and how your work is deployed in production
· Advise on security and performance aspects of applications.
• 7+ years of professional experience working within the Microsoft development stack using several of the following technologies:
o Microsoft Visual Studio (2010+),
o Microsoft SQL Server (2008+),
o .NET 4.5+/MS SQL development environment with a focus on digital (web) platforms on n-tier architecture systems with MVC4/5 pattern and WCF or WebAPI framework.
• 5+ years System design/Architecture experience
• 5+ years Technical Analysis experience (liaising with Business analysts in refining requirement
• Experienced or well-versed in Scrum/Agile methodologies
• Can articulate a senior level understanding of database and SQL concepts (Strong SQL and T-SQL skills)
• Hands-on development.
Working with RESTful APIs using JQUERY
Experience of Test Driven Development/Behaviour Driven Development including continuous integration.
Ability to translate and clearly formulate technical issues and solutions to the issues
· Excellent problem solving and analysis skills
· Excellent communication skills- written and verbal
· Recognises and develops potential so that the team has the necessary knowledge, skills and experience.
· Excellent presentational skills.
· Intervenes if warning signs of problems occur within own area of responsibility.
· Forward thinking. Proactive rather than Reactive.
· Customer focussed
· Excellent time management skills
· Positive and constructive minded
· Takes responsibility for continuous self –learning.
· Takes the lead and makes decisions in critical times and tough circumstances.
· Has a ‘can do’ attitude, counteracting the negativity of others, putting a positive spin on things.
· Displays enthusiasm, is animated, infectious, encouraging and positive.
· Uses appropriate language, uses a style they are comfortable with but that suits the occasion
· Attention to detail
· Identifies and takes up opportunities to coach others on a formal and informal basis.
· High levels of integrity and honesty
· Positive approach to change and good sense of humour
· Calm disposition
· Full UK Driving Licence