back to article IT resellers, this is your future: Shifting driverless cars within 5 years

Tech resellers who are on occasion – and perhaps cruelly – compared to sheepskin jacket-wearing secondhand car dealers, might just be getting into game after all, if a veteran channel analyst is to be believed. In one of the more left-field predictions from Steve Brazier, CEO at Canalys, channel partners resellers will soon be …

1. Warm Braw

The priority of car makers is on "safety" first

It is, now. It was not always thus - exploding petrol tanks, chest-puncturing steering columns, bodies flying around in cars after accidents used to be the norm. Car makers have been persuaded to focus on safety by public and regulatory pressure - and law suits.

I hope that the message "software crashes, so cars will too" is not one that goes unexamined.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: The priority of car makers is on "safety" first

At the moment I would be much more inclined to buy an autonomous vehicle from a car manufacturer than an IT company. Especially if the likes of Uber are behind it.

The "let's ignore all our legal responsibilities, we are disrupting," doesn't work, when it comes to products that need to be safe.

2. Alister

Being autonomous doesn't magically remove a car's need for physical maintenance and repairs, so I would suggest that the traditional car dealers are better placed to continue to sell autonomous vehicles.

I'm not aware of many (any) IT resellers with a fully equipped workshop for car maintenance...

3. iLurker

There is little to no need for individuals to own an autonomous electric vehicle - these will be bought and operated as fleets - think driverless taxis, in effect.

Tesla may miss the mark - the notion that private homes need charging stations and Powerwalls may be the case now, but not when the vehicle can be autonomous. Now does it need to be a huge 5 seat family saloon to take the average Joe (or Mary) to/from work.

The only thing with being driven by a computer is how boring it will probably be. I just hope there is a choice of driving modes - I’ll take Fangio every time, over grandma.

1. Jim Cosser

I agree about the fleet autonomous vehicles but I think the Powerwalls are unrelated, they are a benefit if you have solar rather than directly related to private vs fleet autonomous vehicles.

There are interim advances being made where the privately owned elec vehicles can be used in a similar way to a powerwall but it's not likely to benefit the consumer unless your car is parked at home all day being charged on solar, it seems like it's a big boost to smoothing out the peaks in the grid.

4. BoldMan

Rearrange the following words into a well know phrase or saying

of Load bollocks old

5. Alan Bourke

Two words.

My arse.

6. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Gives new meaning to the words... (#2)

Drive Compression

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like