back to article With microservices Java can at last join us in our cloudy, DevOpsy world

Microservices aren't a new concept to Java – their forerunner was Service Oriented Architectures (SOA), which could be constructed, among other means, with the assistance of Enterprise JavaBeans (EJBs). The fundamental concept behind microservices is applications should be broken down into small services that can be …

1. rmullen0

Micoservices is nothing but hype

Subject says it all. I don't see how this is considered grass roots at all. The way I see it is that you have pinhead managers who know nothing about development pushing this stuff. I would swear that a lot of this stuff is just people who are bored with nothing to do making things up to try to hoodwink people and make money off it. Personally, I have no interest in microservices at all. It is nonsensical hype. Maybe if you are Amazon or Netflix, then it makes sense, but, for the vast majority of applications out there, it makes no sense at all. All it does is make things more complicated. I don't see how breaking an app up into tons of Docker images improves anything. As far as I'm concerned, this is a complete joke. KISS is the best approach. But that is not sexy enough. So, you have people out there constantly coming up with things like microservices, hyping it up, acting like they are cool and a bunch of lemmings following them. A few years down the road, people will wake up and will complain about it the same way they do about SOA now.

1. Mark 110

Re: Micoservices is nothing but hype

It was a strange article that didn't say very much.

It seems sensible to me to keep programming modular. Makes release of small changes easier. Build and deploy easier - you only need to build and deploy what you have changed.

The article didn't say this. Just waffled on about names for things and then name checked a few tools for doing stuff. Hmmmmm.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It seems to me that the key is scalabilty. If you have some application that chugs along for most of the year doing not a lot until a deadline looms then you could do with an architecture that allows thousands of people to submit forms without a monolithic application choking as it tries to process every form as it comes in. Just have a service that provides the forms, one that validates and accepts them, one that processes them and one that sends out an email with the result (or some newfangled javascript concoction that can hang around until it's processed).

If all those services are independent and interact by adding messages to a queue it's possible to handle a much bigger throughput elegantly.

Same applies to ticket sales and other things where there are massive surges of use. Nobody likes being told the server's too busy when they're trying to get tickets for the latest and greatest thing - they just want the form to fill out with payment details and once they've gone to all that trouble they don't want to find out the server's too busy to process their form - just submit it to a queue and get back to them asynchronously.

I too once thought it was hype but once the penny dropped I got it.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

"I too once thought it was hype but once the penny dropped I got it."

Judging by your description, I don't think you have. You are describing an architectural style that copes with flexible demand but not necessarily a microservice one.

As long as you take what he says with a pinch of salt and pay attention to what he doesn't say then Martin Fowler is a good place to start learning.

https://martinfowler.com/articles/microservices.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like