back to article Samsung flashes flash stash for flash motors

Samsung has 128GB and 64GB eUFS flash cards for automotive use. These are intended for vehicle infotainment, next-generation dashboards and advanced driver assistance systems – hence basically in-cabin gear rather than next to the hot and vibrating engine. It's still a worse environment than a data centre or mobile phone, so …

1. Charles 9

Probably just taking a baby step to make sure everything checks. Plus you'd be surprised how much media you can put in 64GB. At SD resolutions (sufficient for most in-car displays) you can cram over 50 movies in the space, and even at 320kbps, you can put in enough music at 16GB to not repeat for like 2 1/2 days.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Yeah, I can't think of what data would need to be stored such that 256GB would be required. For sure, having the last ten hours of several HD video streams would be handy for collision dispute resolution, and car diagnostic logs.

Cars will generate a shit ton of raw data, especially with autonomous systems, but that data will largely be used on the fly - only a fraction of it would be useful to store.

1. gudguy1a

SD display.... 320kpbs

I have to respectfully disagree, I don't know many folks who would want to have SD quality on anything, especially after having HD in their lives.

Then, at 320k...?

That is just asking for trouble - think about folks who have crappy vision - those with glasses and STILL have crappy vision. Having higher quality displays, faster speeds can mean a great deal for the driver (maps in particular) - back seat displays, sure, they can have SD quality. But in the driver seat, some of us want the best possible definition with the faster speed processors available.

At a decent price that is....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In other news...

Unexplained increase in car fires baffles experts.

3. roger 8

enough storage and internet connected cars. how long till we end up with a war driving botnet. Dashcams connected to google cloud. everything real time. the NSA will love that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait... what?

On this basis, embedded storage in industrial IoT edge boxes looks like a possible market too.

Certainly got my attention living as I do between embedded and servers. That burst capability is perfect for high ingest then transform and transfer at "the edge" as they are calling it. Now, price and form factor, if not standard, would be nice.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like