back to article Japanese boffins try 'token passing' to scale quantum calculations

Apart from actually performing computations, one of the most difficult quantum computing challenges is getting qubits to scale. A Japanese team has published what it believes is a solution to the problem of scale. Quantum gates are complex creatures with many more components than their classical equivalents, so instead of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"except how to make a scheme that automatically corrects a calculation error."

And then leaves you wondering if the error was corrected or if the information was correct in the first place...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "except how to make a scheme that automatically corrects a calculation error."

If it can correct the user input as well as calculate he and his team certainly deserve a prize for that!

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    FAIL

Ugh.

Brings back memories of designing Token Ring networking gear. A technology I was glad to see the back of.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ugh.

hehe, unplug the BNCs to take my PC home and the office network goes dark.

I miss the days of IPX/SPX games of Doom.

1. GX5000
        Devil

Ah heck you sent me back.

We obviously should both be retiring!

Cheers!

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@Anne-Lise Pasch

unplug the BNCs to take my PC home and the office network goes dark.

Not Token Ring shirley? IIRC, the MAU (Multistation Access Unit) would switch out the disconnected port. BNC - used in thin ethernet and others of the era...

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

"Token Ring partisans"

obligatory classic

4. handleoclast

Older than token ring, shirley

My increasingly vague and faulty memory (it's alcohol-erasable and it's been through too many cycles) dredges up early computer designs where the ALU was one bit wide and operated sequentially. Data was supplied by accoustic delay lines implemented using tubes full of mercury.

Something like that, anyway. The name "Ferranti" also seems to be ringing bells in my dodgy memory.

A quick google turns up such gems as UNIVAC 1, LEO 1, Highgate Wood Telephone Exchange and "various Ferranti machines." Nothing explicitly mentions single-bit ALU design, but more vague flutterings of memory seem to imply I was told this at a university lecture, many decades in the past.

Vague and incomplete my memories may be, but I'm fairly sure there were 1-bit ALUs in the early days. They may run 8 times more slowly than 8-bit ALUs, but back when the circuitry was really expensive, it was a good trade-off. For starters, you don't need to worry about carry look-ahead circuitry. :)

5. Pat Harkin

"Quantum error correction"

I have an uneasy feeling that quantum error correction actually alters the universe to make the quantum information correct...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like