back to article Super Cali goes ballistic, Gatorade app is bogus: Even the sound of it is something quite atrocious

In what might well be the most California thing ever, America's golden state has settled a lawsuit against sports drink maker Gatorade for sullying the good name of water. Cali Attorney General Xavier Becerra announced on Thursday his office struck a deal with Gatorade to change the content of a sponsored mobile phone game …

1. Anonymous Coward
  2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bravo for shoehorning that one in!

1. d3vy

It's hardly shoehorned in.. it's probably the most fitting use of an idiocracy comment since the last US election.

We all know that brawndo (sorry.. Gatorade) will eventually buy the FCC and FDA so that they can continue marketing this game unhindered.

3. a_yank_lurker

History

Gatorade was develop at the University of Florida Medical School by a research MD. The impetus was a comment by the UF football coach that his players were badly dehydrated at the end of a game. The MD decided to look into keeping the players hydrated during the game in Florida heat. He found that water was light on some stuff sweated out and dehydration was not only the loss of water but the loss of other stuff also. The result was Gatorade. When it was substituted for water the football team was much better hydrated late in the game and tended to dominate the latter part of the game, especially in Florida.

The nickname for UF is Gators hence Gatorade (aka reptile piss as that what the coach noted, his players were too dehydrated to piss).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Good decision.

Everyone knows you should drink Mountain Dew.

1. kain preacher

Re: Good decision.

nope jolt cola. jolt with jack.

1. Flakk
        1. Spoonguard

Re: dun dedun dedun dun dedun deduuuun

on a lonely planet spinning its way to damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver??

2. kain preacher

Re: Good decision.

jolt cola fans ?

5. eswan

It's got Electrolytes!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does the app run in the cloud?

7. Fan of Mr. Obvious
    Joke

Thanks CA!

Glad California got heavy-handed with this one. At first I was really worried that kids would be convincing their parents to move away from the CA water coast and head into the landlocked states. We have enough CA migration so I am in a much better place knowing that CA if fine having the kiddies in the water, with the sharks, maybe even drinking some salt with their water.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't drink water!

Have you seen what fish do in it?

9. Eddy Ito

I think you mean America's golden shower state as they're so often taking the piss.

10. Daedalus

Jerry-atric stuff

Much was made of the fact that President Ronald Reagan served until he was 78 and was going off his rocker towards the end.

Governor Jerry Brown of California is 79.

And Ron Knee is still 59!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't know about Gatorade but when the UK went into a Jamie Oliver induced frenzy over school food standards regulations were introduced to ban selling of sugary fizzy drinks in state schools ... however, at the secondary school my son attended Lucozade (generally comes top in any table of the most sugary drinks available) was still on sale as it was classified as a "sports drink" and hence deemed to be "healthy" ... and I gather gained large quantities of sales since all competitors were banned!

1. Mark York 3 Silver badge
      Pint

Aids Recovery

Lucozade (Original) has stabilised\got me through many a bad night with the flu & on days when feeling below par. Just a shame its so hard to get in Canadaland (Mainly due to sunshine yellow colourant)

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Aids Recovery

Lucozade (Original) has stabilised

It was also what got me to a blood glucose level of 28 (normal is between 4 and 8) when I was drinking it at work because I was tired and thirsty[1] all the time..

[1] Both symptoms of developing T2 diabetes. Not helped by the Lucozade. Luckily, I was having regular blood tests because of the arthritis medication and got a phone call after one of my tests to go and see my GP immediately..

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Learn something new everyday

“Making misleading statements is a violation of California law."

After watching 60 years worth of elections, I didn't think there was a law like that anywhere.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Business as usual in the Land of the Free...

Good for Cali, but this isn't typical! You're mostly Free to behave as you like in USA Inc as long you're a Corporation. The rest that live there? Not so!

14. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

Shakedowns of companies as displacement activity?

The state of Califailia is practically broke and moving towards a dystopian state of affairs, of gated communities separated by ungovernable areas controlled by absolutely non-integrated huddled masses. Add ecological breakdowns on top: water shortages, forest fires, floods. Add mental illnesses as a side-dish: Silly-con Valley, PC mentality if not Cultural Marxism, and the belief in the munificent nanny state.

Clearly, the time to wring a few hundred thousand out of private companies has come.

1. kain preacher

Re: Shakedowns of companies as displacement activity?

Have you actually spent any time in California? California is not broke, We do not have a Marxist culture. ecological breakdowns were ? forest fires? You do know there are bad fires in Montana and from Canada to LA there are forest fires on the west coast.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like