back to article UK PC prices have risen 30% in a year since the EU referendum

The average trade price of computers in Britain shot up by almost a third in the past year since the EU referendum, though a weakened pound might not tell the whole story. According to distributor data collated by channel analyst CONTEXT, average sales prices (ASPs) for desktops, notebooks and workstations reached £480 in July …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Not IT related, but the price of wood and materials at DIY stores have shot up stupidly since Brexit.

A sheet of MDF used to cost about £16, now it's nearer £20.

1. UncleNick

As Brexit hasn't happened yet, you must be posting from the future. While I appreciate the tips on upcoming trends in commodity markets, could you possibly furnish us with lottery results or excerpts from a book on sporting contest results?

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Facepalm

@UncleNick

You clearly don't understand. Everything bad that's happened in the past year is because of Brexit. Everything good is either despite Brexit or because Brexit hasn't happened yet.

You need to spend at least 2 hours per day watching the BBC to understand this. Alternatively,30 minutes reading the FT would suffice.

1. Joe Harrison

Re: @UncleNick

The pound was worth 1.50 dollars as polls closed, then dropped to 1.33 the next day - the lowest since 1985. Now we are all saddled with expensive computer parts. How can you blame the BBC

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: How to blame the BBC

Step one: Pretend you have never left your home town, that you believe the people on the other side of the river are a bunch of thieving bastards and the greasy scum on the wrong side of the channel are far worse.

Step two: Pretend Brexit is the best thing to happen since the British Empire conquered Africa/India/Canada/anywhere else we shitted on the locals in the last five centuries. If you are having difficulty with this, try harder with step one.

Step three: Read Brexit related articles on the BBC. If you are not seething with righteous anger about all the factual errors go back to step two.

By this time you should have noticed that the lying foreigners who have overrun the BBC are trying to convince everyone that Brexit will be a disaster in the hope that the UK will come back to the EU and prop it up financially (If you are having difficulty with that, remember every bit of financial information you thought you knew was based on lies told by the fat cats at the financial times).

Round about this time, you should be able to blame the BBC for the devaluation of the pound, pot holes in the roads, the noisy neighbours (bloody foreigners - EU says we can't send them back where they came from because of the yapping pet dog) and the shortage of seating in rush hour trains.

Inflation has happened before, prices went up and when the pound recovered it took ages for prices to drop back down again because most Brits are too lazy to hunt for a better deal. This time, unlike every single other time exactly the same thing has happened it is all a because of the massive international Brexploitation conspiracy. This is obvious because ... err ... because I am always right and any evidence to the contrary is fake news. It has to be. There is no other possible explanation and if you disagree with me you are a credulous half wit or a troll.

Now take a deep breathe, have a nice cup of tea and try to come back to reality.

1. EVMonster
              Pint

Re: How to blame the BBC

Excellent summation Dear Boy have a pint for your troubles ...

2. Toltec
          Joke

Not everything bad is down to Brexit some of it is due to Global Warming, though Brexit has probably made that worse too.

1. Shaha Alam
            Trollface

remember the mantra: Reduce, reuse, recycle? brexit leads to loss in the value of the pound, which leads to less consumerism, which leads to reduction in consumption, which leads to reduction in greenhouse gasses which leads to reduction in global warming.

who knew noble brexiteers would turn out to be superheros saving the world?

flying capes and amazon vouchers all round folks,

3. Chronos
          Boffin

Allow me to clear this up:

What is happening is due to the hype surrounding the planned British exit from the EU. Both sides are equally to blame, the Remainers for foretelling years of doom and the Brexiteers for swaggering about as if the continent doesn't matter.

This is, in reality, two groups of powerful people arguing about who gets which cut of the swag. The losers, whatever happens, will be us. Every. Single. Time. Supporting one or the other is a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Despite the icon, it's not exactly rocket science.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Unhappy

The losers, whatever happens, will be us. Every. Single. Time.

Possibly the truest words posted so far.

2. h4rm0ny
        FAIL

>>"As Brexit hasn't happened yet, you must be posting from the future"

Or alternately, the market is capable of responding to things it knows are going to happen. I'd love to see how you walk down the street. "Hmmm, there's a wall in front of me. Well, I'll just keep walking and only change direction when I bang my nose."

Idiot.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

well, there's this chance that as you approach the wall at high speed, it might disappear. Just close your eyes and... go for it! ;)

3. Christian Berger

Markets are mostly psychology

The UK has it's own currency not fixed to the Euro or the Dollar. So essentially now people invest less now in the UK as they believe that their investments will be worth less after the Brexit. After all if you open a factory in the UK it's much less usefull when you cannot sell to the EU. Therefore the demand for GBP is falling, therefore the price is, too... which means you have to pay more GBP for something with a fixed dollar price.

The whole thing wouldn't be much of a problem if the UK still had a big manufacturing sector, but that was apparently killed during the Thatcher Era.

BTW it doesn't matter how the Brexit will actually turn out what matters is what investors will believe the Brexit will turn out.

(OT: My prediction is that there will be an agreement, the UK will pay back 20% of its debt and will get special treatment in exchange for it)

1. Tomato42

Re: Markets are mostly psychology

> (OT: My prediction is that there will be an agreement, the UK will pay back 20% of its debt and will get special treatment in exchange for it)

That sounds like something that the B.S. Johnson is hoping to happen. If only negotiators actually followed it....

Protip: it's not the 1600's any more, the UK is not an empire. UK needs EU more than EU needs UK.

1. Christian Berger

"Protip: it's not the 1600's any more, the UK is not an empire. UK needs EU more than EU needs UK."

Yes, but the EU rarely decides on what's best for the people. After all, if those in power would have thought that way, there wouldn't have been special rule after special rule for the UK. It's hard to imagine that that mindset is suddenly gone.

And that agreement would for 2 things, the Commission could boast that they got 20 Billion from the UK and nobody would question how much the actual debt was, and the UK would get it's special treatment.

1. rtfazeberdee

Let me fix that for you "Yes, but the UK rarely decides on what's best for the people."

2. Gunboat Diplomat

"Protip: it's not the 1600's any more, the UK is not an empire. UK needs EU more than EU needs UK."

Incorrect - check out the trade deficit figures.

1. ratfox

Incorrect - check out the trade deficit figures.

Size matters. If trade between EU and UK grinds to a halt, EU loses 4% of its exports. UK loses 13%.

After all, if those in power would have thought that way, there wouldn't have been special rule after special rule for the UK. It's hard to imagine that that mindset is suddenly gone.

Dating is a very different circumstance from breaking up.

I mentioned Brexit because it happened right bang in the middle of me renovating the house I bought. So I know how much materials were costing before hand, and I know how much they cost now. I also know how much Brexit affected my wedding, as overnight I lost 30 cents for every pound over the result.

Now, I am acutely aware that those who think Brexit is a good idea no matter the outcome don't give an ounce of their own shit about my experience and/or how the pound has competed with the Euro and the Dollar since then. But what I'd like for them to consider or take on board is that when you purchase timber from most UK chain stores, that timber is sourced from abroad.

If the pound falls in value against the value of foreign currencies, it takes more pounds to afford to buy those items from foreign countries, irregardless of trade deals.

But what do I know? I just buy MDF to make my home a little nicer so I can spend the evenings wondering how so many people can be so fucking stupid as to think Frau May is doing a wonderful job and to stick two fingers up to Johnny Foreigner. It's OK to admit you're wrong and to change your mind..

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ wolfetone

"Now, I am acutely aware that those who think Brexit is a good idea no matter the outcome don't give an ounce of their own shit about my experience and/or how the pound has competed with the Euro and the Dollar since then"

I voted brexit and still think its a good idea but yes I do care about such experience. As far as I am concerned it is the cost of getting the country back to a working order (I am sure others may disagree) is more important than the warm feeling of the EU or whatever. Unfortunately we are still bound by the EU while the cartel threatens and attempts to blackmail us. Once out we are no longer bound by their trade rules and the more certainty the currency becomes more stable.

"how so many people can be so fucking stupid as to think Frau May is doing a wonderful job"

I am not sure they all do. I dont. But she is about the only option at the moment which is painful. The libs are still running on a platform of denial and labour doesnt know if it is coming or going on the subject. Personally I would have preferred Farage's UKIP as this would be resolved by now.

" stick two fingers up to Johnny Foreigner"

Some of us voted brexit to stop sticking fingers up at foreigners.

"It's OK to admit you're wrong and to change your mind.."

I tell this to remain voters plenty. But everyone is free to their own opinion and on polarising topics like this people dont like to admit they were wrong, kinda like when the Euro blew up and we stopped being called eurosceptics because we were right.

Btw you have upvotes from me because I too buy timber and yes it is more expensive.

2. MOV r0,r0

If the pound falls in value against the value of foreign currencies, it takes more pounds to afford to buy those items from foreign countries, irregardless of trade deals.

A slightly selfish viewpoint as conversely, the things they buy from us get cheaper. As an exporter, a rising gate price can be passed on under such circumstances. Your problem here is that you're not exporting your house!

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

> A slightly selfish viewpoint as conversely, the things they buy from us get cheaper. As an exporter, a rising gate price can be passed on under such circumstances. Your problem here is that you're not exporting your house!

Actually, the problem is we're not actually exporting any more, and while those exports have certainly led to higher profits for many firms, for most those profits have been offset by the increased cost of imports which affects the components which go into many of those exports. There will always be a balancing act between those, but as we are heavily dependent on services as opposed to goods, we are dependent on retaining the ability to provide those services. That's where we should really be worried.

@codejunky

"I voted brexit and still think its a good idea but yes I do care about such experience. As far as I am concerned it is the cost of getting the country back to a working order (I am sure others may disagree) is more important than the warm feeling of the EU or whatever. Unfortunately we are still bound by the EU while the cartel threatens and attempts to blackmail us. Once out we are no longer bound by their trade rules and the more certainty the currency becomes more stable."

Working order? How is the country broken? The policies enacted that have caused the explosion in foodbanks, the over worked underpaid nurses and the continued chronic underfunding of schools and prisons are down to the MP's in this country who are far more interested in helping their friends make a few quid. Absolutely nothing to do with the EU.

The "EU cartel [...] attempts to blackmail us" how? On what planet do you think you can walk away from an argeement or an association you have paid money in to and get money back from would simply let you walk away without paying your dues? You wouldn't do that in a divorce, you wouldn't do that in a resturant.

" Once out we are no longer bound by their trade rules and the more certainty the currency becomes more stable." tell me again, well for the first time because no one who voted for Brexit or continues to support it can actually explain this point, how the EU have hindered our economy? To paraphrase Italian MP told Boris Johnson (the fuckwit), if the UK leave the EU then he loses sales of prosecco to one country. The UK loses sales of fish and chips to 26 countries.

Re: @codejunky

@ wolfetone

"Working order? How is the country broken?"

Economically not in a good place to deal with the next recession. Something which is resolving itself as the brexit result reduced the currency (as was required regardless) and is causing inflation which the gov and BoE have been aiming for for nearly 10 yr. A trade policy which requires we exclude parts of the world in order to be part of the cartel (for protectionist reasons of other members of the EU). Incompatible methods of applying law where we tend to say what you cannot do vs europe which tells people what they can do. Severe deficit in democracy as a vote on the EU has been long promised and even in eventual delivery (of a highly rigged vote) is being attacked by the undemocratic.

"The policies enacted that have caused the explosion in foodbanks"

Pre brexit vote. And we are still trapped in the cartel which dictates we block out parts of the world that would compete with the cartel members. Aka food becoming cheaper when we actually leave.

"The "EU cartel [...] attempts to blackmail us" how?"

Since the result by threatening us then begging us to stay. By direct attacks on the country such as attempting to demand Euro clearing is done in the EU (which would remove it from being an international reserve currency the idiots). By refusing to negotiate until we agree to a fantastical bill which even their negotiators dont believe can happen. By refusing to negotiate until we solve their problem (Irish border) to their satisfaction. Off the top of my head.

"paying your dues"

About £36bn I think it was found.

"how the EU have hindered our economy"

Bad trade policies. Abusing agreements (contribution used to bail out Greece). EU regulation imposed on our country. And of course our govs poor implementation of EU policies.

"Boris Johnson (the fuckwit)"

No argument there.

"if the UK leave the EU then he loses sales of prosecco to one country. The UK loses sales of fish and chips to 26 countries."

So the EU wont allow trade with us at all for any of their countries/businesses because they stomp their feet and wave a rattle around. Doubt it. It is in both our interests to agree to be amicable. If they cant manage that then we shouldnt pander to children.

"Economically not in a good place to deal with the next recession. "

Because of bailouts to bankers who caused the last recession, all coming from policies (or removal of them) from Tony Blair/Gordon Brown which was started as way back when Thatcher was in power. Nothing to do with the EU.

"Pre brexit vote. And we are still trapped in the cartel which dictates we block out parts of the world that would compete with the cartel members. Aka food becoming cheaper when we actually leave."

I didn't say foodbanks were caused by Brexit, I am pointing out a very real problem caused by our MP's being dickheads and cutting back everything. The whole idea that food becoming cheaper when we leave the EU is a falicy. Seasonal vegtables like strawberries are imported from places like Spain, which is in the EU.

"Bad trade policies. Abusing agreements (contribution used to bail out Greece). EU regulation imposed on our country. And of course our govs poor implementation of EU policies."

But what EU regulations have harmed this country? Be more specific like I asked.

"So the EU wont allow trade with us at all for any of their countries/businesses because they stomp their feet and wave a rattle around. Doubt it. It is in both our interests to agree to be amicable. If they cant manage that then we shouldnt pander to children."

I'm fairly sure and confident that the only EU country where it's in their best interests to get a good deal is Ireland, as most of the road haulage to the EU goes via the UK. I don't France are too bothered, and the rest of the EU will get along just fine without the UK crying and throwing their dummy out of the pram over nonsensical argument.

Don't forget that the UK also votes to put people in the European Parliament. Who do the UK send? UKIP, who don't want to be in the EU. So it was lovely to see Nigel Farage bitch and whine about fishing quotas harming UK fisheries, when his role within Brussels was to sit on said fishing quota forums - which he never attended.

@ wolfetone

"when Thatcher was in power"

Wow thats a while back. She must be some kind of god to be so powerful. But anyway the US recovering, the UK recovering, the EU being bailed out by the IMF. And our contribution being abused to prop up their currency.

"I didn't say foodbanks were caused by Brexit,"

ok.

"The whole idea that food becoming cheaper when we leave the EU is a falicy."

Nope.

"Seasonal vegtables like strawberries are imported from places like Spain, which is in the EU."

The EU which uses trade tariffs to block out various countries (notably the poor needing trade) because they are cheaper. You might possibly be right about strawberry's as a single example. Substitution is a real thing and since parts of the world have been blocked out it is bound to have already happened.

"But what EU regulations have harmed this country? Be more specific like I asked."

The fact that we have to block out parts of the world because of the cartels tariffs (that is specific enough I would think?). The various climate change regulations. Various regulations from bendy bananas, jams, max power limits on electricals, etc.

"the rest of the EU will get along just fine without the UK"

Awesome. Tell them that. It was their presidents who claimed it would be the end of western civilisation and the break up of the EU.

"Who do the UK send? UKIP, who don't want to be in the EU."

Well that kinda demonstrates the rejection of the EU by us then doesnt it. I think Farage did a good job. He actually succeeded in getting us the vote.

2. MonkeyCee

"And of course our govs poor implementation of EU policies."

So the EU policies weren't really at fault, since the expectation is that the national governments implement and enforce them as applicable.

That the UK government has repeatedly done very unpopular things by implementing EU policy in a way that no other EU country has, then acted all surprised that it was a fuck up.

Even better, the UK government hasn't implemented certain policies, despite them apparently being a "big issue".

You can see this in a number of the policy documents relating to brexit, where the UK has said "we want to do X" and the EU has responded "You can already, it's consistent with EU law". I still expect these things will be sold as victorious compromises that BoJo and DDavies wrested from the EU.

In general, if a certain group (Westminster) has manage to fuck up national policy and implementation of EU policy, I'm not sure I'd be voting for them to try and take on more power. I also expect many of those championing the Henry 8th powers will change their tune if their opponents get elected.

I'm not a fan of the EU, but they seem to manage things better than many national governments. Certainly more transparently. That's pretty faint praise, since Belgium did quite a lot better through the financial crisis by not having a government at all.

Oh, and as an EU citizen living in any other country than the UK, I have *more* rights than a native of the country.

@ MonkeyCee

"So the EU policies weren't really at fault"

Hang on. So you skip over an entire bunch of EU faults against our country to the very last bit where I also accept that our gov also implements EU rules badly? That is a severe case of selective reading.

"That the UK government has repeatedly done very unpopular things by implementing EU policy in a way that no other EU country has"

Do note this is by the pro-EU govs. The govs who sold us out to the EU and refused a referendum plus govs who campaigned to remain. The gov who was shocked we would dare vote leave even after they threatened us directly! Another good reason to vote out.

"I still expect these things will be sold as victorious compromises that BoJo and DDavies wrested from the EU."

Probably. I am not going to defend them.

"I'm not sure I'd be voting for them to try and take on more power"

Why would we accept them carrying on as is when it is even by your comment not good? And since there were no alternatives as the many 3 parties we all so bad UKIP became a legitimate threat which caused an actual vote finally offering actual change.

"I also expect many of those championing the Henry 8th powers will change their tune if their opponents get elected."

Almost certainly. We have authoritarian liberal anti-democrats not known for their sanity. The authoritarian labour gov with wet dreams of Venezuela. And an authoritarian tory gov we already can see plain. It is a good job a libertarian party (Farages UKIP) shook things up a bit and with home politics becoming important again people will hopefully care more. Instead of waiting for the federalising of the EU to conquer the country.

"I'm not a fan of the EU"

Then you voted leave? After your praise of the EU and dissing of national governments what you ment to say was you voted out of the EU? Do you think we would be better off without the EU and instead maybe stick to the economic area? Maybe you dislike the stupidly over specific regulations even over items such as jam and bananas? Maybe you disagree with how they handled the financial crisis plunging the Eurozone in to a desperate fight against deflation? Maybe you dislike their treatment of Greece to sacrifice a country to save a currency? Maybe you disagree with the EU's self inflicted financial mess leading them to be bailed out by the IMF? Maybe you dislike how Germany can unanimously inflict a migration and security crisis over the EU area? Maybe you disagree with their cartel actions locking out the poor countries from trade? Maybe you disagree with the childish demands in the Brexit negotiations for fantastical sums of money they have no right to or demand we fix their problem with Ireland?

Maybe other reasons? Maybe a combination of reasons? Or is that not what you ment?

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
                      Unhappy

"we are dependent on retaining the ability to provide those services."

Like for example financial services.

And that's where a single market really pays dividends to the UK. Both Frankfurt and Paris would like a bigger piece of that action and will have if the UK is has even minimal barriers put in to slow down its trade.

The question is what the UK will have to trade (because this is a negotiation after all) to keep the pounds/yen/dollars/euros flowing without any additional "friction" in and out of Blighty.

2. rtfazeberdee

Check out the population of the UK compared to the EU THEN check the deficit figures and see who needs who more based on the percentages. Anyway its the UK buying public who can change the UK trading deficit by spending their money on UK produced goods only (have fun with that).

3. Nial

" UK needs EU more than EU needs UK"

Except we buy a _lot_ more from them than they do from us.

?

2. Lars Silver badge
          Happy

"when you cannot sell to the EU". Much rubbish has been written, the Brexiteers well in the lead, but please, there will be trade between the UK and the EU in the future too, but the deal will be different. How different no body knows yet.

As for the debt, gentlemen pay 100% of their debt, remember the "British Gentleman" (coined in Britain though).

"and will get special treatment in exchange for it". Special treatment for not paying 80% of its debt, that would, in my opinion, be special indeed.

@Christian Berger "special rule after special rule for the UK". Those special rules were to the advantage of Britain like not being the second biggest contributor to the EU budget regardless of then being the second largest economy in the EU.

Some Brits seem to think they are very special indeed.

1. MOV r0,r0

Some Brits seem to think they are very special indeed

The 'rebate' is a discount off a retrospectively applied EEC membership fee for all the time UK wasn't a member.

A very special cash-cow indeed.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Some Brits seem to think they are very special indeed."

What they don't realise is that they're "short bus" special.

3. MOV r0,r0

After all if you open a factory in the UK it's much less usefull when you cannot sell to the EU

If you open a factory in the UK, the entire EU will barely take a tenth of your exported output (and falling). Having an overvalued pound won't help with most of what you do.

As for manufacturing having been 'killed' by some mysterious outside entity, if only Germany had taken more Austin Allegros! They've missed their chance now...

An overvalued currency shafts your balance of trade, and in an effort to compensate sees your assets flogged off abroad and it badly handicaps exporters. OK, cheap imports can disguise your underlying inflation rate but like QE, that's not healthy long-term.

The EU is all about kicking financial cans down the road and the wheels have already come off across southern Europe. Now is a great time to get clear and look to the rest of the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>Now is a great time to get clear and look to the rest of the world.

Which bits of the rest of the world? Those who invested here and now wish they hadn't, those who couldn't give a shit about us, or those whom we've fucked over in the past and are now enjoying seeing us squirm?

You're right about the balance of trade, but we have to negotiate trade with all of those people. Those people already have deals with one another, yet we have to start from scratch. Put yourself in their position; if you have someone screaming how important they are and you're not, yet you know they don't have a leg to stand on, how much would you tolerate their arrogance?

It's this attitude that really riles me amongst the nationalists. This attitude that somehow the others will do what they're told because we're better than them. And it goes all the way to the top, as exemplified by Mrs. May's recent trip to Japan. She brought along a bunch of company bigwigs yet was essentially told "We wrote a long document setting out what you need to do, we're going to prioritise the EU and a nutcase has just lobbed a missile over us so we have more important things to deal with. Fuck off."

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

"It doesn't matter how the Brexit will actually turn out what matters is what investors will believe the Brexit will turn out."

Actually it's even simpler than that:

"Any currency is only worth what market confidence says it is worth"

Hence why bitcoin swings wildly whilst larger fiat currencies are less inclined to be volatile.

5. ragnar

FYI, the death of the manufacturing sector is a bit of a myth.

http://www.cps.org.uk/files/imagelibrary/manuout.png

1. MonkeyCee

@ragnar

You are completely correct, not only does the UK have a manufacturing sector, it's a very good one in terms of contribution to GDP and value addition. It's also pretty high tech, and contributes about as much as the finance sector. The main difference between it and say the Netherlands (or Germany) is those countries also have a large machine tool* manufacturing sector in addition to their normal sector.

The claim "we don't make anything anymore!" is because almost all of this manufacture is for parts within a supply chain. Making a few relatively simple parts very well** is a better modern business manufacturing model than building a complex whole for a small company.

Perhaps the real issue here is the lack of jobs in the sector, but that is a result of mechanization, and the jobs that remain are still well paid.

* both building new, moving and modifying existing factories in everything from auto parts to chip fabbing.

** reliably profitable and more focused engineering often results in higher quality

6. Nial

Jeezo, does everyone on here read the guardian?

"The whole thing wouldn't be much of a problem if the UK still had a big manufacturing sector, but that was apparently killed during the Thatcher Era."

http://www.cityam.com/272260/british-manufacturing-now-eighth-largest-world

"(OT: My prediction is that there will be an agreement, the UK will pay back 20% of its debt and will get special treatment in exchange for it)"

We have any debt wrt the EU, it's the opposite if anything.

4. cambsukguy

So, according to your assertion, an incoming asteroid, large enough to cause a catastrophe somewhere would not affect the stock market or anything else, like optimism etc. because it hasn't happened yet.

Wow.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That'll be mentioned on DIY SOS thanks to the good old BBC.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"A sheet of MDF used to cost about £16, now it's nearer £20."

AFAIK that's either made in the UK or in Europe.

Why would it happen, unless some people think Brexit --> good excuse for a price hike

But no, I cannot believe UK retailers would be so venal. Surely not.

2. Brenda McViking
    Holmes

Nothing stupid about the price rise, perfectly well predicted in fact, and has been obvious for months that it would happen.

Markets decided that Brexit was worth a 15-20% cut in Sterling. THAT was the damage the remainers warned about (even if most of them are clueless and don't realise it.) That means we'll have some nice growth in UK made exports as they're cheaper for Johnny Foreigner to buy (though why we really care is open to debate, though of course it allows us to purchase imports with all that foreign currency)

And imports prices rise by 20% as our Great British Pounds have less purchasing power than they used to. Overall, Brexit hurts average UK society member as we can't afford as much stuff made by Johnny Foreigner anymore (and boy, do we get a lot of stuff from Johnny Foreigner), but he is slightly more likely to keep his job as on a worldly scale, as cost of labour has dropped by 20%

It also means that all the hand wringing about what will happen after actual Brexit will all turn out to be a bit of an anticlimax as it's already been decided and priced in. The fundamental change happened about 2 hours into counting the votes when it was realised the media and their predictions were all wrong. Everything since has just been inertia of the flow of global goods.

1. joeldillon

The pound's been through the floor for a year now and that promised rise in exports simply hasn't happened. Probably because a lot of the stuff we export is made with components we import.

2. Just Enough

"what will happen after actual Brexit will all turn out to be a bit of an anticlimax as it's already been decided and priced in."

Except nothing has been decided, because those responsible for this almighty mess can't make their minds up on what they're doing, don't know what's going to happen, and have no idea how it might all turn out.

The idea that everything is settled already in advance by the market is extremely naive. The market can't predict the future anymore than anyone else and frequently gets it wrong. Particularly when those who are supposed to be in charge are running about like headless chickens and can't tell the market where they intend taking us. Other than to hell in a handcart.

3. Adam 52 Silver badge

"already been decided and priced in"

At the moment the market is pricing in uncertainty. They aren't yet pricing in the results of Brexit. That's why the currency market has moved by the stock market is relatively stable. When we start to see concrete proposals, and the winners and losers become more obvious, then the real shifts will happen.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I seem to remember being told that someones 2 year old child could explain economics to me on another story.

I said that the weak pound was more due to low interest rates than brexit and only the other day the pound gained back some lost ground when the bank of England talked of interest rates being raised.

It strange isn't it that people don't want to invest in a currency that has low returns but when there is talk of higher returns the pound is strengthened.

Companies have and always will take advantage of fluctuations in currency, petrol is the obvious example and if the pound gets back to where it was these prices won't come down like when we had potato shortages and my chippy put the price of chips up they have never returned to the original levels.

1. h4rm0ny
      Joke

>>"I seem to remember being told that someones 2 year old child could explain economics to me on another story."

<groucho>Then somebody run outside and find me a two-year old. I can't make head nor tail of it! </groucho>

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. mcpharm

woopy ******* do .. the pound went up to just over $1.30 .. was over $1.50 the eve of brexit and over $1.60 before the referendum campaign got going. interest rates are heading up cos inflation is heading up which is entirely down to us importing everything and the pound falling DUE TO BREXIT. And if interest rates go up, the economy goes into recession cos everyone is so much debt.

Am fed up with reading the drivel poured forth by brexiteer flat earther types .. worse than king knut .. just saying you believe pigs fly ain't ever gonna make'm fly. So do us all favour and piss off to GAB, if you can find it, and post your horseshit there. The type posting here, I think, are what Vince Cable referred to as Brexit jihadis .. rich / old enough not to care that you f**k the economy up for everyone struggling to get by in the name of some out of date, rose tinted, mythological state of being "in control" (ie back to racist 50s insular britain with no "funny food" and foreigners) which is such a huge crock of shit, it's laughable. We live in a globalised world; there's no such thing as being in control. The nation state is rapidly being eroded; no nation is "in control", even china .. it's a shared delusion that electorates and their pols still cling onto which is why there's so much disatifaction with politics and democracy.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

woopy ******* do .. the pound went up to just over $1.30 .. was over $1.50 the eve of brexit and over $1.60 before the referendum campaign got going. interest rates are heading up cos inflation is heading up which is entirely down to us importing everything and the pound falling DUE TO BREXIT. And if interest rates go up, the economy goes into recession cos everyone is so much debt.

Am fed up with reading the drivel poured forth by brexiteer flat earther types .. worse than king knut .. just saying you believe pigs fly ain't ever gonna make'm fly. So do us all favour and piss off to GAB, if you can find it, and post your horseshit there. The type posting here, I think, are what Vince Cable referred to as Brexit jihadis .. rich / old enough not to care that you f**k the economy up for everyone struggling to get by in the name of some out of date, rose tinted, mythological state of being "in control" (ie back to racist 50s insular britain with no "funny food" and foreigners) which is such a huge crock of shit, it's laughable. We live in a globalised world; there's no such thing as being in control. The nation state is rapidly being eroded; no nation is "in control", even china .. it's a shared delusion that electorates and their pols still cling onto which is why there's so much disatifaction with politics and democracy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC

Wow, just wow, did you take your medicine this morning?

Did you read my comment? I said it was more to do with interest rates than brexit. I didn't say brexit hasn't played it's part, it would be foolish to suggest that.

I would like to suggest you take a step back because we currently have a strong economy and low unemployment which puts us in not too bad a place however people like you are determined to make brexit fail and guess what you may get your wish.

I'm not advocating brexit but a decision was made so it would be better if the whole country got behind it rather than complaining like whiny little bitches who aren't getting their own way and calling people rich/old and racist because they don't agree with you smacks of the current precious snowflake generation who think they are entitled to get what they want and everyone do what they say. I'm afraid the world doesn't work like that and sometimes as tough as it is we have to accept what the majority voted for.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think the guy was just having a rant.

>I'm not advocating brexit but a decision was made so it would be better if the whole country got behind it rather than complaining like whiny little bitches

Except it wasn't. To do a referendum properly you need to have mandatory voting, a well-defined subject and a clear majority, not a few %. The subject was not well-defined because there's a lot of very good stuff provided by the EU which has been built up over the decades and a hell of a lot of crap too. We're now well on the road to losing the good stuff yet still being subject to the crap and having little control over it. We also don't have a free press in this country and while both sides spurted crap, the brexit side was inundated by populist propaganda. I think this is well explained by my own grandmother, who is glad she voted leave because now all the Pakistanis (not the term she uses) will have to go home.

>who aren't getting their own way and calling people rich/old and racist because they don't agree with you smacks of the current precious snowflake generation who think they are entitled to get what they want and everyone do what they say.

I'm well into middle age now and deride the little fuckers with their stupid beards as much as anyone else, but it's always been the case that "kids nowadays" are shits. They were when I was a kid, when my dad was a kid, and when his dad was.

The fact is the baby boomer generation have had it all, and are salting the earth for future generations. I'm not part of that generation but I'll admit to I'm not helping. I got on the housing ladder early and own three of them. I did so because I know my pension will be worth fuck all when I retire, yet I pay for the generation before me to have long and comfortable retirements. The next generations are utterly dependent on their parents' wealth. If that isn't there, they're fucked.

Calling them entitled is somewhat disingenuous as they have an uncertain future of the like not seen for decades.

>I'm afraid the world doesn't work like that and sometimes as tough as it is we have to accept what the majority voted for.

Except they didn't. Way fewer than half of those entitled to vote actually voted for it, and amongst them they voted for different things and different reasons. I voted for remain yet I'm against the single market as it currently stands; uncontrolled migration creates resentment, reduces salaries and causes a brain drain, underinvestment and even worse resentment in those countries from which people are leaving.

We didn't get a vote on that though and the closest we'll get is if Vince Cable gets his way. All we've apparently voted for is for some Hooray Henries squabbling to see what personal gain they can achieve at the expense of the general populace. The more this goes on, the clearer it becomes that the things we should be dealing with are going to be ignored and the destruction shall continue.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Some very valid and well balanced points and you're probably right.

Though I'll disagree on the generation thing because (and I'm middle aged as well) I can see how the youth of today and the generation before really just don't give a shit, maybe that's because they have nothing to look forward to, maybe it's shit parenting and the shift towards a "no blame" society where when someone does wrong it's ok and you don't have to admit mistakes, maybe it's school and their sports days where no one wins, maybe it's all this gender fluidity and how no one knows what sex they are anymore? I honestly don't know but I know when I was younger it wasn't this bad probably because when you did something wrong you actually got a b*llocking rather than this new age parenting.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Gender fluidity isn't about not knowing what sex you are anymore. It's about being more tolerant of the small minority who aren't sure who or what they are, and ensuring that the rest of society don't casually ruin their lives because of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Not knowing and aren't sure are the same me thinks.

Each to their own, tolerance is not something anyone has the right to withhold however it should not be used as a tool to shame other people.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

*sigh*

Of course they're the same.

Once more, for the benefit of the hard of thinking.

You seem sure what sex you are. I know what sex I am. As such, gender fluidity neither helps nor hinders us, and it certainly doesn't mean inserting any doubt into the equation.

A small minority of people aren't sure (or, if you prefer, don't know) what gender they are or should be. Gender fluidity means it's OK for them to remain unsure, or identify as a gender other than the one on their birth certificate. This is of massive benefit to them, especially if the general expectation of the rest of society is to let them get on with their lives without harrassment.

Tolerance isn't a tool used to shame people. You were being called out for being intolerant, which is a very different thing.

4. rtfazeberdee

"I said that the weak pound was more due to low interest rates than brexit and only the other day the pound gained back some lost ground when the bank of England talked of interest rates being raised." considering the rates have not gone up in 10 years, why did it take so long to devalue? No, its was the brexit vote that crashed it. And yes, interest rates going up will raise the value, personally i prefer lower interest rates but a sterling value based on the strength of the economy and investment.

4. Redstone
    Holmes

What the CONTEXT analyst (& the article) skipped over

is that there has been a global price increase in components along with the requisite lengthening of delivery lead times, especially from chip makers.

Does this mean that Brexit is responsible for the global upturn in the electronics industy too?

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: What the CONTEXT analyst (& the article) skipped over

Not because of Brext, DESPITE.

Get with the programme.

1. Redstone
        Happy

Sorry, what was I thinking?

Note to self: Everything good [from June 23rd, 2016 into perpetuity] = DESPITE Brexit.

Got it, now.

2. big_D Silver badge

The story did mention that there has also been a general rise in tech prices during the same period (even comparing the UK price rises with those in the rest of Europe).

3. The Indomitable Gall

I think you mean what you skipped over, because the article I read specifically made a point of comparing the prices rises on continental Europe over the same period to identify the part of the UK price rise that can be attributed to currency differences.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Boffin

PSA: For the confused

The markets have decided that Brexit in March 2019 is a bad thing. They want clarity from the government and assurance that in future international trade will work similar to how things are done now and they're not getting it. The pound has plummeted accordingly now in anticipation of that event.

Thanking you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PSA: For the confused

"They want clarity from the government and assurance that in future international trade will work similar to how things are done now"

Not going to happen anytime soon with this lot in charge. "Taking back control" of the borders means that international trade will not work in the same way and will probably incur additional costs.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: PSA: For the confused

Not going to happen anytime soon with this lot in charge.

Not going to happen anytime soon no matter who's in charge. Governments are even worse at predicting the future than stockbrokers are.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Pound

The pound collapsed, expect inflation.

1. cambsukguy

Re: The Pound

What do you mean expect?

The last number I saw was 2.9%, seriously higher than for many years.

Back in the silly days of 8% inflation I saw my mortgage costs plummet and my wages go up and up.

Seems like that doesn't happen much any more.

1. big_D Silver badge

@cambsukguy I bought my first house as the interest rates were around 17 - 19%, it was a struggle, but we figured they couldn't climb any higher. 18 months later, they were well under 10% and the house price had shot up and my salary had increased.

Very lucky that time around...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Back in the silly days of 8% inflation

You haven't lived son, I'm old enough to remember 25% in the 70s and bolshie unions helping to wreck our manufacturing base.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Except that this week it's up against both the weakening Dollar and Euro. Though it has not yet recovered to pre-June 2016 levels. I'm not in the markets but there could be several reasons for this: changes in the UK's position on the negotiations; anticipation of tighter monetary policy from the BoE to combat inflation; a sustained uptick in economic activity. I suspect the exchange will react to Treesar's speech on Friday, the Tory Party conference and particularly whether the EU Council of Ministers greenlights trade talks in October. Particularly the latter will increase both political and economic uncertainty so hedging is likely to increase.

Of course, if the prices of imports were to rise less quickly as a result of a higher exchange rate you shouldn't expect the savings to be passed onto consumers.

3. codejunky Silver badge

@ Ian 45

"The pound collapsed, expect inflation."

About time isnt it. We were warned our currency was overvalued before the ref, and we have been trying to get inflation up for almost 10 yrs! At least now there is talk of increasing the base rate just like the US is planning. God help us if we were in the same position as the EU right now and of course another recession is about due.

7. djstardust

Hmmm

Despite the currency fluctuatiion et al, I still can't help thinking Apple, M$, Samsung etc have just used this as a bloody good excuse to increase margins and shaft UK punters at the same time.

The price of Apple products especially are horrific (and the actual products aren't too great either) so it will just take people to stop buying to reverse this worrying trend.

Interstingly Huawei/Honor products have gone up too (although not nearly as much) and they're good value for money unless you want to impress with the latest shiny shiny.

Give it 18 months to see how it pans out.

Hopefully by then Ryanair will be gone too :)

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Hmmm

"have just used this as a bloody good excuse to increase margins and shaft UK punters at the same time."

Brexploitation

Heard it first on El reg, though a price rise was inevitable given the way the pound tanked when the markets realised what a lot of wombles we are.

1. cambsukguy

Proper Capitalism is supposed to fix price gouging.

Apple et al put up their prices... Others step in and undercut them because they can make a similar product much cheaper.

Except it happens less than you might expect because, in a rich country like the UK, it is like people paying twice as much for a loaf of bread that really isn't much better than the cheaper one. They pay the premium because it is not actually a break-the-bank kind of extra cost.

So, the people that buy the new phone are usually people with a lot of money to spare - I see huge numbers of people with old iPhones, broken screens, cables hanging out of their pockets because they require power blocks to keep them running.

Of course, there is probably a general trend downward as harder times bite but this is still a rich country and Apple/Samsung will still have a market at the high end.

Me, older phone not Apple or Samsung and I prefer it that way of course, because I could pay the premium if I wanted, I just don't want.

Older phones have so many useful selling points, the main one being less worry about dropping/losing/stealing. No case required. No fear that some twat will rip it off. No worry that it is going out of date soon. Really, much less stressful.

And, since no compelling additions have been made to phones to make one wish one had the newest shiny, even fewer issues. Screens still remain similar or lower res than mine (564ppi), cameras are similar or worse (20MP Zeiss), unlock with a face/iris, yeah, super useful. Tons of RAM, tons of Flash.

The only real USPs that would make me want to move are:

1. Essentially unbreakable, although I have dropped mine several times, caseless, and the glass remains unblemished.

2. Power breakthrough, a new tech that makes a phone last, say, a week. My battery is removable already so new battery tech could conceivably be used anyway.

3. Running PC apps, real ones. Not critical but I would just have one because it would remove the need to have a Surface or a laptop in many (more) cases.

As long as it remains supported and updated, which mine still is, at least monthly, I will stick with it.

1. NonSSL-Login

Long story short....tech companies have always taken the piss and will continue to do so with the UK where a $999 piece of equipment will cost £999 here when it should only cost about £750.

1. Joe Harrison

Surely though these days nearly all tech is made in China. Buy your stuff directly from China in dollars and Bob's your uncle. You might (very unlikely) have to pay a bit of import tax, and if need to send back for repairs then it's more work than taking it back to Currys, but you're only paying 2/3 of the piss-taking price.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

£999 here when it should only cost about £750

US prices are always quoted before sales tax. £750 + 20% VAT = £900 so it's not quite that black & white.

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Long story short....tech companies have always taken the piss and will continue to do so with the UK where a $999 piece of equipment will cost £999 here when it should only cost about £750.

While I hate this kind of pricing "parity", the reality is slightly different. Due to batshit insane point of sale taxes in the US, all US prices are quoted exclusive of sales tax (federal, state, county, city, whatever). UK prices, on the other hand, are usually quoted including the local, fixed all over the UK, sales tax (VAT). As a result the differences aren't quite as despicable as they look. (just spotted an AC has already noted this difference, curse you "next page" :) )

Spending £1000 on a phone on the other hand... that's breaking many people's acepptances of "sensible", including die-hard Apple users who would very much like to not leave one ecosystem for another but at this point are most definitely not considering spending that amount of money on a phone. An easily losable, breakable, thief-magnet phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

As noted by others, sales tax/VAT makes up a lot of the difference between the US and UK prices. The rest is usually put down to "regionalization", which is generally assumed to be a piss take as we just get the american english version of the product rather than a UK-specific one. However, the regionalization costs are more attributable to covering the warranty requirements in each territory - the UK (and EU) generally have much stronger consumer rights law than the US, so the warranty liability is consequently much higher. On this basis, a 1:1 £:$ exchange rate for tech products isn't actually all that bad. There are still a few companies who routinely do take the piss by having even more unfavourable $:£ exchange rates for their products/services, but examples of this are fairly rare.

I generally take the line that comparing US and UK prices is pretty pointless, as it's too much a case of apples and oranges. Comparing EU and UK prices is perfectly sensible though, as both taxation rates and consumer protection law tend to be pretty similar between the two.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

> As noted by others, sales tax/VAT makes up a lot of the difference between the US and UK prices. The rest is usually put down to "regionalization"

There are still a lot of items where the US$ price (ex tax) of $N is matched by a UKP price of £N(plus a bit).

In most cases, that's attributable to the UK importers believing they can charge what they want as they have a monopoly - it's been interesting telling them their prices are silly and I can get the same item 30% cheaper from Germany, to have them tell me I can't do that as they have an exclusive distribution deal.

The phrase "single market" and questioning if they're admitting to illegal activities usually has interesting effects.

In one egrarious case (Serverlifts), the UK importer managed to grab EMEA distro rights and was charging an insane markup - resulting in an extremely useful device with reasonable sales volume in the USA being bloody expensive here - to the point that the importer was making a big deal that they'd sold ONE in London (to the met police) and a couple into Australia. (I had a discussion with the manufacturer, suggesting that "exclusive distribution deals" were counterproductive for sales and quite possibly illegal under EU law. The prices demanded by said importer suddenly dropped dramatically)

2. madeofjam

My company do a lot of work through distribution channels, as we provide hardware (amongst other things) to charities and small businesses.

We got stung quite badly by these price rises. We used to shift a lot of HPs, then they upped the price by about £100 per laptop and when you are used to working with organisations on tight budgets of around £400 to £500 a machine that's quite a lot! Then Dell did similar. It's become rather difficult to offer a consistent(ish) price and machine range this past year.

Also, the fact that Intel announced 8th Gen quite early into the 7th Gen cycle, meant that manufacturers have not been producing as many 7th Gen models at 'reasonable' specs and prices, presumably to clear a backlog of 6th Gen machines. Which, to be fair, more than meet the needs of 'standard office use' for most people...

But even so, it would be nice to get a bit more stability back into the PC market.

2. mrfill

I doubt that our then Prime Minister, Kim Jon-un, would allow that.

3. The Indomitable Gall

" Despite the currency fluctuatiion et al, I still can't help thinking Apple, M$, Samsung etc have just used this as a bloody good excuse to increase margins and shaft UK punters at the same time. "

Well that would be a legitimate claim if it wasn't cheaper to buy Apple products in the UK that in Europe. This is particularly surprising given that they've just launched a new product range.

The base iPhone 8 costs £699 (€788) at UK RRP or €829 (£735) in Ireland. It's not a huge difference, but it's in our favour... so it seems a tiny bit paranoid to cry "price gouging"...

1. Fading

They could be price gouging both the UK and the EU?

4. rtfazeberdee

yes, the companies like Apple can price their goods as they like because of the vanity of the buyer and they will milk every opportunity to do so. The UK buying public is so gullible

8. BeakUpBottom

Could have done more with this article ...

If they'd actually told us what the same prices did in the Euro and USD markets we might be able to draw some more meaning out of it, there's bound to be a shift to cope with the sliding pound, and I'd imagine that everyone in the chain will try and price that in with a margin given all the uncertainty, but without knowing what consumers in the other markets are being treated to it could be entirely the opposite.

9. MickyMc

As far as I understand things most technology purchases occur in dollars and the dollar has been subject to quite a lot of fluctuation in the last 12 months.

The big players insulate themselves from the vagaries of the international currency market by pushing up prices.

The deciding factor is not the strength of currency in the country of the end user country but what the market will support.

10. ColonelClaw

The laptop that last year I bought for my mum cost £450. The equivalent laptop I just bought for my dad cost me £630.

Thanks Brexit!

11. blokedownthepub

Dell prices

In June 2016 I bought 50 medium-spec Dell PCs at £390 each. At the time Dell said they could keep the quote open for only a week.

In November I asked for a further 20 of the same config and was quoted £510.

That's a 30% increase in 6 months.

What were decent affordable PCs are now out of the reach for a state school like us. We just can't buy computers at prices like that. I had to buy inferior machines from another vendor.

12. Baldrickk

SSD Prices

I'd quite like a new SSD to replace the old spinning metal in my new PC.

But while Solid State remains nearly an order of magnitude more expensive than a disk, I'm just going to stick with the disk

Whatever the cause for SSD price rises, we the consumer are losing out.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silly Remoaner El Reg

Do you also refer to the referendum in 1975 to join the Common Market as the time "the majority of Brits (that voted) opted to join the Common Market"?

I would like to have said "when we voted to join the EU super state and dictated to by some third rate politicians with delusions of grandeur" but of course that never happened.

Those that didn't vote literally do not count. They'd have probably all have voted brexit anyway because the Remainers are too clever to have not voted, am I right? ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Silly Remoaner El Reg

No, you're wrong. The one thing you're right about is the bit about third-rate politicians with delusions of grandeur but we have plenty of those in the UK. Plus their cronies.

14. Scubadynamo

Lots of arguing here about how good/bad brexit is. Well thats pointless, brexit is happening regardless now, especially since Gina Millers efforts passed it into Law.

Part of the reason we have a tumbling exchange rate is investor confidence. Right now we have 48% of the country telling everyone that the UK is about to implode. Im not suggesting that remainers are responsible for the lower exchance rate. But they really ought to get behind brexit, especially considering that it is now definitely happening. Brexit was never going to be easy but hysterically going about telling everyone that the country is ruined because of it will only make things worse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>But they really ought to get behind brexit, especially considering that it is now definitely happening. Brexit was never going to be easy but hysterically going about telling everyone that the country is ruined because of it will only make things worse.

Brexit was never going to be easy if we had world-class leaders to take us into the brave new world. Unfortunately, none of the people tasked with it would qualify as being competent leaders and nearly 18 months on still don't appear to have considered half of the issues or have a clue what they want, never mind how to actually achieve it!

As you say, it will probably happen now, but the effects are not going to be good. Seeing as most of us work in a service industry (IT), which is effectively going to have the largest part of the market removed, we will probably see a lot of redundancies (or roles moving to the EU from the UK) in our sector and a general fall in wages across the board. We might get away with a few thousands jobs across the country and maybe a 10-15% fall in wages. If they open access to Indian migrants for a trade deal, you could increase that by a significant amount.

If you are happy with that, then fine, you are welcome to get behind it. I wasn't before the referendum, am not now, and probably never will be. If Brexit is a success I will congratulate the people responsible and admit I was wrong. I don't expect that will happen though.

15. Alan Brown Silver badge

30% increase is far less than the fall in the pound.

And before you all shout me down, here's why:

If your pound is worth 2 frobnutz and it falls to a value of 1 frobnutz, the value of your currency may have FALLEN 50%, but anything imported which used to cost 2 frobnutz, and therefore 1 pound, is now costing you....2 pounds.

That's a 100% increase in COST for a 50% fall in the value of the currency.

A 30% fall in the value of the pound translates to a 50% increase of costs

A 25% fall is a 33.3% (1/3) increase

20% fall == 25% increase.

etc.

The simplest way of working this out this is to invert the divisor

IE: if your pound is worth 2/3 of what it used to be against XYZ foreign currency, then anything which is traded internationally in that currency will now cost you 3/2 of what it used to be.

when comparing on the money boards, it's (currentvalue / oldvalue) to get the fall in value and (oldvalue / currentvalue) to get the increase in costs.

I've had to explain this a number of times to management who have been loudly griping that "the pound has only fallen 30%, why are these scalpers charging 50% more?" - bringing to mind the adage that those who can't do basic algebra are doomed to bankruptcy.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: 30% increase is far less than the fall in the pound.

Yes, that reminds me of a teacher I had long ago. I think the topic was called "business mathematics" then. His main occupation was with the stock exchange, why he bothered with us I do not know. Anyway, he told us he had this dream of some day being invited to the "parliament" to teach them how to deal with this magic % sign. According to him the country would do x % better then. I am inclined to believe he had a point there.

16. Eponymous Howard

Well, yeah...

....that's what will happen when Sterling tanks and the vendors have to reprice the risk.

17. SimonHayterUK
    Stop

Confidence has a strong influence on the value of the British pound therefore those scaremongering just as they did before the result are directly and indirectly devaluing our currency. The pound will remain unstable and uncertain until 2019 and with the likes of Corbyn and everyone trying to undermine democracy is only creating more of a mess. Out means out... people need to stop QQing about it and focusing on the negatives.

18. Charles Smith

The pound has recently risen against the Dollar and Euro. I guess we'll see those price increases reversed promptly?

No? I thought not.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mark Carney openly admitted that artificially lowering interest rates was a palliative to Brexit, that tacitly implied that it was all a disaster.

Naturally the pound crashed.

It was the only project fear prediction to come true. Because it was engineered to come true.

Unfortunately its also made Britain fiendishly competitive on the world markets with exports booming and a now cheap labour force almost fully employed looking highly attractive to inward investment.

To be honest, the UK needed a 30% drop in effective wages to be in the game. Austerity never happened at the policy level. But a crashed currency is nearly as good.

So thank you Mr Carney, for doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons.

1. MonkeyCee

Economics is not simple

"Unfortunately its also made Britain fiendishly competitive on the world markets with exports booming"

I know the theory from first year macro economics is that devaluing the currency will lead to an increase in exports (both quantity and value), but that's only true if everything else is held steady. This is generally true of pretty much every "steady state" economic model, the assumption that only a single factor changes and you can ignore the rest.

Alas, the real world is annoyingly more complex than that.

So in the case of the UK, the drop in the value of the pound has led to no increase in exports during the same time. None, nadda. Now that maybe will change, but assuming it will solely on the weakening pound is a bad prediction, based on the last years data.

The UK's credit rating has been downgraded, specifically due to brexit, the UKs current disarray in negotiating brexit, and the expected regulatory workload for implementing brexit in the UK.

"To be honest, the UK needed a 30% drop in effective wages to be in the game"

Bollocks. The UK is first world country, so attempting to compete directly with the eastern europeans or the Indians on labor costs is doomed to failure.

What the UK needs to do is start being as productive as other western countries. Whilst I don't expect the UK to ever reach Dutch or German productivity levels without a cultural revolution (PHBs to the wall!) France manages to be about 20% more productive than the UK whilst having a very elitist and.class driven management structure.

So rather than cut wages by a third, produce 20% for the same cost.

Probably not going to happen. Well, not with british management :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like