back to article Where there's smoke there's a Galaxy Note: Refurbished Model 4 batteries recalled

Samsung's got another combustible phablets SNAFU on its hands, after the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled the batteries used in its Galaxy Note 4. This time there's smoke but the fire's someone else's fault: the problem this time applies to “batteries placed into refurbished AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 4 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blast!

Knew it was just a matter of time.

Checking model number and battery serial now, as this phone *might* be an import.

Ironically have a non OEM cell as a spare, it would be irritating if the spare is actually fine and phone stock battery is recalled.

Do these all have NFC chips, spare does not original does.

1. GruntyMcPugh

Re: Blast!

Seems the NFC thing varies, I've bought spare batts with NFC, although I don't use NFC for anything other than pairing my old Gear. Would be a PITA if I used any banking apps that used it I guess, couldn't hot swap spare batts.

2. Charles 9 Silver badge

Re: Blast!

And people wonder why I insist my batteries be REMOVABLE. I have a Note 4 (T-Mobile model, not affected here), so I know it's ONLY because the battery is removable that the solution is so simple.

Given the fire risks associated with Lithium-based batteries, ALL of them should be required by law to be removable to control that fire risk.

2. NanoMeter

LOL

I LOLed a little after reading the title.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. NFC

I use mine to find NFC tags, seems that some clever folks worked out how to make active tags which run off a CR2032 and run for months.

Namely folks at Digital Greenhouse

1. Charles 9 Silver badge

Re: Re. NFC

Why bother with that? You can do the same using Bluetooth 4.0, get similar life, and actually get some range out of it (and the Note 4 can do Bluetooth 4.0). Stick-N-Find, Tile, TrackR, they've been around for years, since soon after the Bluetooth 4.0 spec was finalized.

1. Conundrum1885

Re: Re. NFC

Yup, was aware of 4.0

The reason I think they used NFC is that most older phones do not work with BT tiles, their intended market seems to be holidaymakers who often use (in many cases) burner phones so if they get damaged/lost then its inconvenient but not catastrophic.

We had this discussion at the Hackathon last year!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Well done Samsung!

Another winner!

1. Kernel

Re: Well done Samsung!

"Another winner!"

You didn't actually read the article, did you?

If you had you'd know that it's not the batteries that Samsung installed (or most likely were installed on their behalf by a Chinese manufacturer), but replacement batteries installed in the USA by a 3rd party.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love Apple.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022