back to article Chinese stealth outfit reckons the smartwatch isn’t quite dead

With fitness gadgets fading fast, and the smartwatch category gathering flies, it’s strange to report a blazing success in wearables. Even stranger, it hasn’t come from an established consumer electronics brand or even a “wearable company”. And it has sold tens of millions with few people noticing. The latest pair of products …

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I visited Frog's NY office once. They were found by Hartmut Esslinger and did work for Wega (before Sony bought them) and famously for Apple (the 'Snow White's design language). They are also responsible for that Logitech mouse, the one styled to look like a real mouse.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So why are they on Kickstarter?

Yet again here is a company with existing products, big funding, corporate backers, etc etc. Reducing its risk by using Kickstarter- that’s not what Kickstarter is for or was intended to do. Why is Kickstarter allowing itself I become a cut price “pre order” service for established companies and allowing them to outsource their setup costs? Why are we letting them do it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Re: So why are they on Kickstarter?

Because people are gullible, companies have no risk and Kickstarter makes money.

It's a win all round.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

> Because people are gullible, companies have no risk and Kickstarter makes money.

What's the issue? The person who puts money down is less likely to lose out if the company has successfully brought products to market before are only waiting for enough (demonstrated!) market demand before tooling up for production.

Heck, you only have to read these forums to be aware of products that people *say* they want... Psion-style keyboards on phones, for example. It's only waiting for people to put their money where their mouths are.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It could be that they have used Kickstarter to judge market interest. Basically they're using Kickstarter to de-risk their investment, but this then also flags up a tacit admission by investor Google that they don't have as tight a finger on the market pulse as their marketing people seek to suggest.

Apropos Google as investor, that was the point I bailed from this product. I don't want to wear the equivalent of a GPS prisoner tracker so they can gather even more intelligence.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why are we letting them do it?

I think it's because we truly don't care.

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

> Reducing its risk by using Kickstarter- that’s not what Kickstarter is for or was intended to do.

Surely it's whatever the people who chose to place their money on it want it to be?

3. werdsmith Silver badge

Why is Kickstarter allowing itself I become a cut price “pre order” service for established companies

Because $$$$$$$$$$

4. Alastair Dodd 1

it's a great way to gauge interest

and for a Chinese company with limited resources in the west an ideal way to deliver a product before locating western partners or full distribution.

I backed the first one and I'm getting this one too as they are excellent.

Well worth the $119 here http://kck.st/2uluDXp

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: it's a great way to gauge interest

I wish you luck with receiving and enjoying your watch. In return, can you send a small amount of good luck my way, so I get my Vega +?

5. James 51

I have a Pebble Steel. After two years the battery is starting to show some wear, it needs charging every three or four days now. If it ever broke I'd happily pay £100 for a replacement but the only thing on the market that is similar are second hand Pebbles.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like