back to article Dell and Intel see off IBM and POWER to win new Australian super

Dell has won the gig to build Australia's newest supercomputer. Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) issued a tender for the machine late last year and then amended the tender after The Register pointed out it nonsensically suggested it be able to run Windows Server on POWER CPUs, an …

1. Leitchy
    WTF?

Editor anybody...anybody? Bueller?

There are so many errors in this article; not factual errors, grammatical errors. Don't you guys have to submit these stories to a sub-editor? If not, then get somebody...anybody...to read over it before you hit the submit button, so you can catch the rubbish we all miss when we write stuff.

2. Captain DaFt

Hey dude G'day mate, you're getting a Dell!

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

I know a Dell too, small world...

1. Alistair
        Coat

I rather like Adele.

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Joke

Bionic Vision

An early user of the machine will be “bionic vision” research that Dell says “aims to restore sight for those with profound vision loss”.

I'd hate to have to lug that machine around in a back-pack just to enable me to see...

4. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

A dual boot Supe!

I'd love to see the grub configuration for those nodes, and indeed the method used to switch many systems at the same time.

Do you think they will be able to split the cluster, and have part of it running Windows while the rest runs Linux?

1. HPCJohn

Re: A dual boot Supe!

Well, on a large cluster you would have provisioning servers for every N racks.

The images from the cluster head nodes are pushed out to the provisioning nodes, which should be well able to handle the load of rebooting and imaging the number of systems which they are responsible for.

You also stagger any power sequencing, both to stop surge loads and to smooth the load on the provisioning servers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

wouldn't it have been quicker just to say "yes" ?

2. Korev Silver badge

These days servers have so much memory that they can hold the image in RAM which should lessen the load greatly; moreover the IB network should mean that the provisioning node(s) can heave out the images quickly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Do you think they will be able to split the cluster, and have part of it running Windows while the rest runs Linux?"

Yep - that amount of hardware could run as a couple of Hyper-V clusters and then you could run whatever OS you wanted on top within reason...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like