back to article Amadeus airline booking system TITSUP and it's not ransomware

The Amadeus airline booking platform is suffering another outage, so far mostly seen in a follow-on TITSUP (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance) hitting Australian airline Qantas. The Australian carrier is telling customers its booking systems are unavailable, and says it's not the only airline worldwide to be hit. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

helpline

I hope they are playing Mozart's requiem down the help lines (the piece he was trying to finish when he died)

2. Amos1

What other airlines are affected? Southwest Airlines in the USA announced at the airport last night that they had a reservations system outage.

1. Mike Richards Silver badge

Iberia, Cathay Pacific and - yes - BA all use Amadeus.

3. Herby

So...

If the booking system is down, and the flights are operating, how do they know who is flying? Those that are, have no boarding passes, and can't get through security.

Maybe the flights are free, "Why of course I booked first class, why do you ask!"

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Re: So...

I was wondering along the same lines except thinking that there's an awful lot of planes flying empty of passengers then.

4. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Could It Be The NSA? The ONLY GDS Not US-Based.

Of the plethora of international travel reservation systems, ONLY Amadeus has it's database outside the USA and the many privacy-breaking Acts such as PATRIOT. This upsets the USA government historically.

This means the whole operation is subject to the EU privacy rules which are far better than the essentially non-existent US domain.

The US-based GDS systems provide the FBI, et al, with very unlimited access to data.

If you are crossing adjacent borders, and want to limit your 'visibility', use ground transportation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021