back to article Putting AI to work in finance? Think algorithms, ethics first

Ethics, algorithms and finance are all key areas for machine learning and AI, which is why we’re chuffed to announce three more excellent speakers who will be joining us at MCubed London in October. Dr Catherine Flick, of De Montfort University, will be talking ethics and morals, and while she doesn’t promise “any easy answers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew Smith

AI, banking and ethics.

I can see where this one is going. The next time that there is a banking crash so that people lose their jobs and homes, the bankers will be able to point to their computers and claim "Hey, look, it wasn't us! This naughty AI did it. I deserve my bonus for switching the machine off. It would all have been so much worse if I hadn't.".

1. Bucky 2

Re: AI, banking and ethics.

I was thinking along similar lines.

If they added ethics to a finance AI, that would certainly be a new addition to the industry. I wonder how long it would be before they removed it because it hampered performance.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All you need to know is...

The Computer says No!

Wanted to buy something recently. Had the cash in the bank but decided to take advantage of a 0% deal only to find out that apparently my Credit Score was no good. Checked when I got home. Aparently a score of 497 is not good enough to get a loan.

Computer says no.

Was so annoyed at being told 'No' that I didn't buy the thing anyway.

This will only get worse mark my words.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've just moved back to the exact same address that I had two years ago and, doing so, Vodaphone said that my credit rating wasn't good enough for a £15 per month SIM whereas the week before I had moved it was rather good.

Computer Says NO.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ethics and finance?

I LOL'd ...

3. Daz555

Clerical staff where I work are already being fed the line about A.I. and robotics being the way forward, allowing staff to be free of the mundane tasks they do and freeing them up to do more worthwhile activities........hmm I've heard that line before......oh yes, it was when IT started offshoring jobs to India.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021