back to article Vodafone to block its ads from appearing next to 'fake news'

Vodafone will block its advertising appearing against so-called "fake news" and hate speech from today. It said the decision was a response to evolving technology within advertising and media and the algorithms being used in ad placements. It said that it will use "whitelisting" controls put in place by its global ad agency, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Most Vodafone ads are fake news already.

1. Baldrickk

Most Vodafone ads are fake news already.

I've been with Vodaphone since 2011/12, they had good coverage in my area at the time SW, and good coverage in the area I live in now, SE.

Coverage was a little dodgy when I was in the NE, but it improved.

Recent trips to Wales, the Peak District and other out of the way places showed that, at least for where I was, the coverage was far better than the 3, EE and O2 networked phones other members of my family were using, and I lost coverage only once, when down a narrow, twisting valley where no phone coverage could reach. When leaving, my phone was on the network (and I was making a call) long before my Father's phone had reconnected to his network.

I'm sure there are still deadspots around for Vodaphone, as there will be for all carriers, but I haven't found them lacking myself.

2. ArrZarr Silver badge

How?

If Vodaphone are able to work out what is fake news and what isn't with an algorithm, I think Google and FB would quite like that algorithm so they can apply it to all their advertising in the first place.

This does of course require Vodaphone being either more adept than Google with their algorithms or really unspeakably lucky.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: How?

My understanding id that there is a 'MK1 eyeball' being used and they are whitelisting organisations and maybe individuals - which might be a little difficult if applied across Twitter and Vodaphone's estates.

2. abbibi

Re: How?

Their reference to an algorithm is probably just technobabble. The real piece of information in the article is that WPP is offering an online whitelist service for advertising. WPP is an umbrella corporation that owns dozens of large advertising agencies, including Ogilvy, Grey, Y&R, J Walter Thompson and many others.

This will probably be the next big thing in advertising. Controlling not just the content of the ad, but the context of the ad too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: How?

I guess WPP is offering a whitelisting service of some description - that doesn't require much computational grunt - a few mechanical turks can do the donkey work - This is what JP Morgan did.

For Voda, this is merely an attempt to return to status quo ante.

Until the advent of www. or, to be more precise, Google, advertisers - via their agencies - always controlled the context of their advertising. They can still do this on the internet if they trade directly with publishers and other reputable content providers.

It's a different story when advertisers prioritise performance at the expense of brand safety. Programmatic ad tech is filled with cowboys; search engine marketing will get you into trouble one day, no matter how hard Google tries to clean this act up; and syndication - Taboola / Outbrain - is an enormous cesspit.

3. Christian Berger

Simple...

... they look at the top 100(00) sites their ads are already shown on manually, and then whitelist those which seem to be OK. That's feasible for any ad company.

If you have a business model based on selling ad spots, that puts you in a difficult situation. Unless you are already among the top sites you'll never be able to run any ads and therefore have no or less income.

3. wolfetone Silver badge
    Coat

Anyone asked the Daily Fail and The S*n for their comments on an advertiser pulling adverts from them?

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Boffin

If an advertising agency placed a Vodafone advert next to a Daily Mail article about mobile phones causing cancer, you'd soon find the advertising agency dropped. You do get some level of control about what your adverts are placed with. That's all that Vodafone appear to be trying to do - hence the whitelist rather than a blacklist.

4. P. Lee

>outlets that are "fundamentally at odds with their values and beliefs as a company"

This does appear to be the working definition of "fake news" for most organisations. It isn't about truth, it is about values.

5. djstardust

Ha ha

Advertising billboards showing 4G in an area where you only get GPRS could be considered fake news.

Are you listening Vodafone?

1. wolfetone Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Ha ha

"Are you listening Vodafone?"

You can't listen with your eyes...

1. Commswonk

You can't listen with your eyes...

Hear Hear!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I see where you're coming from.

6. Doctor_Wibble
    Boffin

For sufficiently large values of 'fake'

The usage of 'fake news' seems to vary wildly between 'bus found on the moon' and 'that headline was a bit shouty', and anything insufficiently pedant-checked in between.

It always used to be by proxy anyway, e.g. let someone who is not the official spokesperson say something that everyone understands but might not be literally true, then have the official spokesperson deny that the literal version was ever policy.

See also mischaracterisation of remarks, or misleading headlines like the ones we've had for donkey's years, now it's all 'fake news', a phrase surely now in a 'top ten unhelpful descriptions' list.

7. Jonathan Miles

There are companies that can classify and categorise content indexed by URL, e.g. Double Verify.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Private Eye have been running a column giving examples of "unfortunate" advert placement for quite a while - looks as though someone has finally got round to asking their marketing agency wtf they're playing at.

9. handle
    Happy

"fundamentally at odds with their values and beliefs"

Like paying taxes, you mean?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like