back to article Done and done: BlackBerry ties up $940m settlement with Qualcomm

Former smartphone king BlackBerry has today finalized its settlement with Qualcomm in their long-running battle over royalty payments. Under the terms of the settlement announced on Friday, Qualcomm will give $940m for back royalty payments and for legal fees accrued during the years-long court fight. BlackBerry said that …

1. hellwig

Who's their Lawyer?

Under the terms of the settlement announced Friday, Qualcomm will be getting $940m for back royalty payments and for legal fees accrued during the years-long court fight. BlackBerry said that Qualcomm will pay the full amount by May 31st.

Qualcomm get's $940m, but has to pay it themselves? BlackBerry really lucked out on this decision.

1. Lennart Sorensen

Re: Who's their Lawyer?

The article was wrong. It has been fixed after it was pointed out. It is Blackberry that is getting a nice pile of cash.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Big pile of cash

After their recent spat in Korea and now this, how much is left in the QC Coffers for Apple and the rest to fight over?

I expect that Apple's (and others) lawyers are licking their lips and hoping that QC will be weakened by this.

Popcorn anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Popcorn anyone?"

I have very mixed feelings. On one hand, Qualcomm is a very unpleasant company in many ways. Their licensing practices are as aggressive and obnoxious as IBM's were back in the day. They're notorious for treating their engineers very poorly. On the other hand, they did invent quite a bit of the fundamental technology used for modern cellular communication. On the third hand, they're the only high-end SoC manufacturer that sells to third parties (Samsung and Apple both make their own for internal consumption). Damaging Qualcomm really messes up all of the other wannabe players in the cellular market.

1. bazza Silver badge

If you're referring to CDMA and CDMA2000, Yes they did create those (building on other pre-existing ideas, just like everyone else did), but CDMA2000 and it's slavish copy UMTS were "A Bad Idea", really. Only the Japanese and Australians managed to make the most of 3G.

And I'm not sure how much input QC have had into LTE... The Europeans have been very strong in creating good standards. There was a definite feeling that LTE was going to be it, and there was no way the USA / Qualcomm could plough it's own path.

Snapdragon has been a very good thing indeed - I'm using one right now, on a BlackBerry Z30..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like