back to article O2 continues to splash out on 4G ahead of rumoured IPO

Mobe operator O2 continued to splash cash on its 4G network in its final quarter results, with industry watchers believing it is moving at pace to complete its commitments before an IPO at the end of the year. O2's daddy Telefónica reported UK sales of €1.6bn (£1.35bn) for the quarter, with earnings before interest, tax and …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

You know, there's more to the United Kingdom than just London.

Hard to believe I know, but those outside of the London area also use mobiles, also use the internet, have access to clean running water and warm homes.

So come on, throw some love to us outside. We throw enough money in to London, give us something back.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

What a pity BT bought EE. They could have had O2 flogged back to them.

3. handleoclast

O2 "bargain" deal

Coincidentally, my paper today carried an advert for a "fantastic" data package from O2.

30GB/month for the price of 10GB/month. On phones supplied by them in the first place. Which is probably why they don't bother to tell you what you'd pay for 10GB/month (from the ad it appears this varies according to unspecified factors, possibly including phase of the moon). Oh, and it ties you in to a 24-month contract. After which it reverts to their standard 30G price. This special offer is available until 28th June.

Their standard 30G price is £38/month. Really.

I have a SIM-only package from Three which gives me 30G/month. It allows tethering (the O2 package doesn't say it permits tethering, so it probably doesn't). The price was £17.50/month (less than half the O2 standard price). Except there was some sort of special offer when I got it, so I have 12 months at only £15/month. Except there was another special offer on top of that, such that after I'd paid for 3 months I got the next 3 months free. So over a year that works out at £11.25/month.

So, prior to this special offer starting and before it ends on 28th June, O2 works out more than three times what I'm paying Three. And to qualify for it I'd need a handset from O2, which would add to the cost.

I'm persuaded! I can't see understand why anybody would think O2 are cunts when they can offer fantastic deals like that.

4. PNGuinn

Hey. O2

Reliable GSM coverage just north of Sudbury in Suffolk would be nice, you know.

When you can get that to work, we'll talk about 3g, OK?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like