back to article Microsoft touts next Windows 10 Creators Update: It's set for a Fall

Microsoft has announced the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, a second wave of updates to its "Windows as a service" operating system. The first Creators Update was released in April 2017. Why is this new release also called “Creators Update”? The reason, Microsoft told the press, is that this release is a continuation of the …

1. johnnyblaze

One does have to question - how high do MS plan on building their garden wall? Microsoft Graph - all built around the Microsoft Cloud, which in turn requires a Microsoft account with the user running Windows 10 with all that nice telemetry collection turned on I assume (which MS will kindly do for you again when the next patch is released). We're all going to have to start taking climbing lessons, or if not, get damn good at digging tunnels.

1. James O'Shea

One of these http://norfolktankmuseum.co.uk/centurion-avre/ should have little problem with even the highest, thickest, wall.

2. Mark 110

What makes you think you need Windows 10? You just need a Microsoft account signed in on the device if I read the article correctly. Presumable an even better experience if you have an Office 365 subscription as well.

It seems to me that they are just playing catch-up (and trying to get ahead in some places) with what happens if you have a Google account signed in on a device.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fall not be confused with Fail as I did when reading the headline.

1. The Corner of Moron

Possibly, that's implied.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You fall because you fail. And for Southern hemisphere people it should come in Spring/Summer... Seasons names are really stupid in worldwide product names, and just show how narrow minded product managers are.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Seasons names are really stupid in worldwide product names,"

Especially when it's called Autumn for most places outside of the US....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not as bad as in the days of ever slipping delays of various windows version when they played the "when we say available in xxxx we mean in our fiscal year xxxx so we'll be on time if we deliver before end of september xxxx+1" card - even a year didn't mean what people thought it did!

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Updates yes, but please stop breaking working programs

Lets hope they fix the scaling for Remote Desktop which they have completely botched up for HDPI screens.

Especially on their own damned Surface Pro....... Remoting in to a server on 2736x1824 using a 13" screen is a nightmare.. Mstsc.exe can no longer use, or ignores the Manifest files ( + the Side by Side Regkey) The MS Remote Desktop adds a French keyboard layout which I can't make disappear, and the other alternative solutions are no where near as useful as mstsc.exe.....

GGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrr

1. Not also known as SC

Re: Updates yes, but please stop breaking working programs

You should try using Microsoft's SCCM remote access tool onto a Surface Pro attached to multiple monitors. I have to use this often at work and my cursor is usually displaced around one or two inches in a random direction. Even when the user switches to a single monitor the scaling is completely out.

2. d3vy

Try Microsoft's remote desktop connection manager.

I had the same issue and it resolved all of the scaling issues that I had.

I think v2.7 is the one I had success with some of the later ones had some issues if I remember rightly (though now I've said that it might have been 2.5)

1. EddieD

Or - and I recognise that this is a pain - you can right click on any executable, select compatibilty, and turn off the scaling for that program.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For something really funny, try enabling DXR hosted tunnelling via H/IOP when there's a manifest-based incompatibility between the incoming and outgoing QAL levels. Believe it or not, this actually used to work fine in Vista; the ODM mini-driver would presumably step in to ensure fast active packet redirection to available nodes as needed. Alas no more. If you're trying to use Windows 10 to enable ASR force-forwarding or shadowless deep G/LO 2 impersonation, then you're out of luck, with no sign that Microsoft has even noticed the problem.

4. The Corner of Moron

My Windows Wish-List...

...contains one thing, just one.

I really wish MS would offer the option to restore windows/apps when logging in, so I can log off/reboot/shut down with them all open and then have my PC log me back on to exactly where I was.

The times I have to start from scratch when Windows wants a reboot, it'd be great if it restored it all for me.

macOS does it and I love it.

Personally I'd swap this simple feature for all the mixed reality guff they're including.

It is nice to see a continuity-like feature creeping into Windows though for cross device work.

1. g00se
      Linux

Re: My Windows Wish-List...

macOS does it and I love it

... as do several Linux desktop environments

2. joed

"It is nice to see a continuity-like feature creeping into Windows" - this one is not just creeping into but also creepy. One can no longer just copy paste without big brother Satya x-raying your stuff (including passwords). Opt-in as usual so clueless masses leave it at default setting. Curious if the content is uploaded even for user that have not yet signed in with MS account, just in case.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        FAIL

creepy indeed.

from article: "a history of your tasks, such as applications you were working in" "these features require sign-in, either to a Microsoft account [snip] or Azure Active Directory" "Microsoft is encouraging developers to write applications that take advantage of this" "Project Rome [snip] is being integrated more deeply into the operating system." "access to some of the features will be under the user's control."

and, then, the lamest excuse of all: The users "can always opt out."

opt OUT? opt OUT??? And only control SOME of the "features"???

Yeah, yet more CREEPY SPYWARE from Micro-shaft. No thanks.

5. Naselus

And the working version of the Fall creator's update can be expected the following spring.

1. Naselus

Can't tell if the downvoters were Microsoft fans, or just people who don't believe there'll ever be a working version of the fall update.

6. Nolveys
    Meh

The Microsoft Graph is an intelligent fabric

...and it's moist and chewy, like cake.

7. Jeroen Braamhaar

Failed Creation Edition!

All I wanted was a Windows where I'm in control.

Not looking like it's gonna happen, think I'll sit this one out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Failed Creation Edition!

Microsoft CEO Doublespeak at Build 2017.

"Microsoft’s CEO has warned the technology industry against creating a dystopian future, the likes of which have been predicted by authors including George Orwell and Aldous Huxley."

"[Think about] what Orwell prophesied in 1984, where technology was being used to monitor, control, dictate," continued Mr Nadella. "Or what Huxley imagined we may do by just distracting ourselves without any meaning or purpose.

Neither of these futures is something that we want. So the question is: what are we going to do? Are there practical ways we can make progress?"

Read full article here

1. fidodogbreath

Neither of these futures is something that we want. So the question is: what are we going to do? Are there practical ways we can make progress?

Why, yes, there are a couple of ways to make progress. Switch to Linux, or buy a Mac. (Yes, I know, Tim Cook's garden has walls, too. But at least Apple explicitly says that monetizing user data is not part of their business model.)

Meanwhile, SatNad refuses to say how M$ use and monetize the mass quantities of user data they collect. Given that Windows 10 has been dogged by negative press about data privacy since day one, maintaining the veil of secrecy just keeps that suspicion alive. Presumably, M$ believes that the ongoing controversy is better than what would happen if the truth were known...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Why, yes, there are a couple of ways to make progress. Switch to Linux, or buy a Mac. "

Other ideas:

1. Start a flower garden in the front yard

2. Take up a hobby where something is created - sewing, knitting, welding, carving, cabinet/furniture making, etc

3. Find every hiking trail within 50 miles of home

4. Find some friends

5. Buy a motorcycle, learn to ride

6. Buy a gun, learn to shoot

7. Buy some rum, learn to drink

There's plenty of ways to fend off a dystopian future, most of which do not rely on hi-tech stuff at all.

2. hplasm
      Coat

Not a Creationist, then?

8. James O'Shea

Has anyone actually got the Creator's Update?

I haven't.

I haven't even been asked. <wipes tears> What's the matter, Redmond? How did I lose your love? What do I have to do to get it back? <wipes more tears> Woe is me...

<exits, singing Queen's 'Hammer To Fall'>

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Has anyone actually got the Creator's Update?

I was offered by Windows Update the Anniversary Edition but it refused to install......

So I did a clean install using an Anniversary Edition ISO and very shortly afterwards was updated to the Creators Edition, which broke Remote Desktop, as mentioned above.

Which version are you currently running 15xx or 16xx ?

1. James O'Shea

I could have sworn that the Asus was at at least 15xxx, but it's not. MSInfo32 says Win 10 Pro 14393. That's the Anniversery Update from last year. It should allow me to update, but the gods of Redmound just don't love me anymore. Such a pity.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Well, a good question, given from a previous recent announcement MS have effectively withdrawn the "Spring" Creator's Update it from general release, while they sort out all the issues that many users have been having with it.

Certainly all my Win10 systems are still on build 1607 "Anniversary Update" and have been happily receiving updates for that builld.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No linux comments yet?

Ok ill oblige.

Linux yay wooo!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No linux comments yet?

l33t, not.

2. d3vy

Re: No linux comments yet?

I know it's a joke but don't encourage them!!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it going to be called Autumn over on this side of the pond? We don't have a fall, I fell down once but that's unrelated. I only grazed my knee so was ok.

11. Wensleydale Cheese

This Holiday

“Our partners plan to market and sell these controllers on retail shelves this holiday,” says Myerson.

Translation needed.

Does he mean "Next Christmas"?

1. d3vy

Re: This Holiday

"Does he mean "Next Christmas"

Personally I'd rather they used neither of the above and just said "mid to late December" much clearer.

12. Tezfair
    FAIL

1703, not for me

Windows 1703, BSOD, refused to install

Office 1703, Sage refuses to work with Outlook, Publisher missing photos, other issues. Had to go back to 1701

Windows as a Screwup

1. Gis Bun

Re: 1703, not for me

Did you get the request to upgrade or you did it on your own. If latter, not as much as MS's fault. They issued a warning not to upgrade until asked.

Did Sage's web site say v1703b is compatible?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 1703, not for me

The Enterprise version of 1701 is obviously the best.

Just ensure you run scott.exe service, to take care of any issue.

13. bowaters

New Feature? Really?

Quoting: A new Cortana feature that lets you continue working on a document, website or app, even when you switch devices, such as closing you PC and going out with your smartphone or tablet.

So like Google Docs and so many others have already done?

1. stephanh

Re: New Feature? Really?

And another question: why is this tied to Cortana? It seems fundamentally a OneDrive feature, seeing as Google Drive and Dropbox have APIs for similar functionality. Possibly an attempt to force-feed Cortana to more people.

14. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Cycles of re-invention

This Microsoft Graph rubbish sounds like it is intended to create an experience where it doesn't matter which device you used to create something, or which device you are now using to access it, and perhaps both at once. In such a brave new world, one might say "The network is the computer.".

As I recall, *that* failed partly because people didn't much like having all their stuff on someone else's server and partly because the wire between you and that server was a piece of wet string compared to the various high-speed busses in a PC. Neither of those objections seems to have gone away.

15. Jason Hindle

Updated to it today....

Broke OneDrive....

1. Gis Bun

Re: Updated to it today....

No loss there. :-)

2. d3vy

Re: Updated to it today....

Updated to what? The fall release?

I have no doubt that it broke lots of things bearing in mind how far from release date we are.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 F' CU (NT) S, then - using all the current acronyms

As Title...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Set for a fail?

Ooooh, a fall. Sorry, my beer got the best of me :)

18. Gis Bun

Unless they changed their mind, MS already dubbed the fall update "v1709". But "v1703" was RTMed in march but only released in April.

19. Terry 6 Silver badge

Ho Hum

Just Ho Hum.

20. G2

any dial up networking fixes coming soon for error 633 on Win 10?

so,,, do they plan any fixes for the broken DUN / RAS anytime soon?

dial-up modems (including 3G cellular dial-up modems) are not usable anymore in 1703.... it complains about not being able to open the port. (error 633)

A lot of mobile units (firefighters, ambulance, police) have been affected and ended up with devices that cannot connect via cellular 3G modems when their in-vehicle systems upgraded themselves to creators update.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/dial-up-error-633-wbuild-15063-1703-creators-pro/2c5b280e-e246-4105-b8e6-58e413d2668e

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: any dial up networking fixes coming soon for error 633 on Win 10?

Firefighters firefighting Windows 10, you just couldn't make it up.

Scribbed Note: WINDOW 10, C U HELP is thrown down to them, the Firefighters say, F'cuk this, drive off, leaving them to burn!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: any dial up networking fixes coming soon for error 633 on Win 10?

"Firefighters firefighting Windows 10"

someone needs to re-think reliability for emergency responders, and NOT use Win-10-nic!!!

21. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Got as far as "Cortana"

No thanks

22. a_yank_lurker

Sort of nice features

The touted 'features' do not seem to be the type that makes one want to run out and get a copy on release. They seem something that some might find useful on occasion but for most its more of a yawn. With all the other problems Slurp has with Bloat one almost gets the feeling that Slurp is trying to find ways to get Bloat out from home and SOHO markets and make it an enterprise only OS.

23. Barry Rueger

Mixed Reality

Seriously? Augmented and Virtual Reality weren't nonsense enough?

Why not just call 'em "Space Goggles" or something similar?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pick Up Where You Left Off

and that's for WORK? Between desktop and my phone? The only "work" shared between those two would be watching certain videos in the privacy of my home, and then picking up in the privacy of the bus / train / other private location favoured these days.

I'd rather carry my computer with me, even on a stick, thanks MS! But it won't be running windows 10 anyway.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They can always opt out

Perfect example of a a selfie taken mid-freefall. Somewhere above, over the edge, there's the "They can always opt in" option, and now you're just a sec before "they can opt out, under certain conditions" option, getting there... bang, Windows 10 volume licencing, passed! And here's your crater, look mate, the one with "opting out" not even mentioned. Nevermind, have a nice flight.

26. Wade Burchette

Microsoft still giving us everything except what we really want

Imagine if you asked your son to cut your grass. When you come home from work, he washed the dishes, swept the floors, and washed the cars. But he did not cut the grass. Would you be pleased?

Microsoft is doing the exact same thing. What do we want? (1) Aero, at least as an option; (2) A proper, logical start menu; (3) Privacy; (4) The ability to control our updates; (5) The ability to permanently disable Cortana; (6) A working pre-boot F8 again. (Everything can be summed up by saying we want Windows 7 with the performance improvements of Windows 8.) What do we get? None of what we asked for. I am not pleased.

SatNad recently mentioned he was worried about a Orwellian 1984 future. Later in the same speech, he talked about the Microsoft cloud. He said this without seeing the disconnect. SatNad worries about 1984 while at the exact same time promotes technology that helps make it possible.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Microsoft still giving us everything except what we really want

Imagine if you asked your son to cut your grass. When you come home from work, he'd sold the cat, sandpapered the cars and dug up the floors.. And he'd he sprayed herbicide on the grass. Would you be pleased?

FTFY

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slow SSD Blues

Did you know that many new laptops come with no hard disk, but a small and very slow ssd with just enough space to store windows and Office 356 and not much else(25-30GIG tops)?

Did you know that Windows automatically stores your docs, photos, videos etc. on the same tiny SSD?

Did you know Windows 10 still has no media center?

Welcome to your new Fascist tech overlords world.

1. Patrician

Re: Slow SSD Blues

Did you know you could inspect the specifications of any notebook you wish to purchase *before* you hand over any cash?

Did you know that if you think that the installed SSD is too small you can choose *not to buy* that make/model?

28. ChrisC Silver badge

“I don't want anyone to think that the next version of Windows has a dramatic look and feel difference,” said Gallo.

Meh :-(

That said, right now I'd happily put up with the continued eye-gougingly bad UI if they'd at least let us control exactly when updates got installed and, more importantly, when the resultant reboot then occurred. It's now got to the point at work where I've had to leave one of my personal Win7 laptops permanently in the lab just so I've got access to a PC that I know won't decide to spontaneously restart itself overnight, at the weekend, or, from time to time even during the middle of the working day, and which therefore is suitable to use as part of a long-ish duration data capture test.

Someone drag me away from the keyboard before I get onto the hardware compatibility issues with some esoteric (and not so esoteric) development kit which was absolutely rock-solid on the same PC running Win7, but which either now doesn't work at all, or does so at a level of flakiness that risks it being reclassified as an item of chocolate-based confectionary and stuck into a big dollop of ice cream...

To then have MS rub salt into the wound by labelling these latest builds of 10 as "Creators Updates" is really taking the proverbial. For at least some people who use (or try to use) their Win10 PCs to create stuff, each update to the OS takes us ever further away from the point we'd like the OS to be, and where we quite happily would have remained if only corporate IT hadn't decreed that we all needed to switch over to 10 from whatever older but wonderfully reliable versions of Windows we happened to be using.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mixed Reality

"Uses the Microsoft Graph to transform your photos and videos. It automatically brings your memories, or even your friends’ photos and videos together to create stories with a soundtrack..."

This is the part where we get multiple nsfw collections and families pics combined and accidental uploaded again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like