back to article Dell EMC to release Azure Stack in small, medium and Oh My!

Dell EMC has confirmed it's getting into the Azure Stack business. The company revealed its ardour for Microsoft's hybrid cloud caper in September 2016, when it showed off a PowerEdge R730xd rack server running Redmond's code. Now the company has emitted a curious non-announcement in which it pledged the devices would offer “ …

1. DavidCarter

You do realise VSAN Ready Nodes are VMware only, right? If anything, they'd use ScaleIO or Microsoft's Storage Spaces/Pools

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@DavidCarter -- Azure Stack only supports Storage Spaces Direct. Microsoft doesn't support ScaleIO or any other external storage at this time. Why is beyond me. My customers aren't going to put their applications on a new storage environment with an unproven market record, even if Microsoft ends up claiming it to be the 'storage' behind some apps in Azure. The extra long beta cycle without any public references of note also makes them nervous.

In short, this seems to be a legacy Dell project to continue its relationship with Microsoft, cover a larger swath of the market (and hedge its bets).

1. TheVogon

"Microsoft doesn't support ScaleIO or any other external storage at this time"

Lots of hardware will be supporting Storage Spaces Direct. For instance see https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/08/fujitsus_storage_spacesbased_hyperconverged_boxes/

2. TheVogon

I wonder how this compares to Google and Amazon's hybrid cloud options? Oh, wait.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Azure Stack + Dell/etc will try to compete against Oracle Cloud Machine

The only alternative to Azure Stack w/Dell is the Oracle Cloud Machine that’s been shipping since March 2016, over a year ago. Theres quite a few advantages I see for the Oracle Cloud Machine. The new Azure Stack needs to be stitched together with Dell and various other SW/HW partners so its not fully integrated and optimized for cloud as a service deployments. You cannot subscribe (instead of purchase) to the entire solution. Unlike Azure, Oracle Cloud Machine offers a single-pane-of-glass hybrid cloud management for PaaS, IaaS and hardware, while the Azure Dell hardware and its related management tools are based on third party components creating more complexity. Also, Microsoft plans to provide new features and patches on the public cloud Azure first and move them on to Azure Stack only a couple of times a year. So, Azure Stack will always be behind Azure on public cloud in features. In short, features on Microsoft’s public and private clouds will be divergent, making complete portability of all workloads difficult. On the other hand, Oracle’s single pane of glass management enables migration of workloads from on premises to Oracle Cloud and back with ease and Oracle has stated that Oracle Cloud Machine will be kept regularly in sync with the Oracle Public Cloud.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Azure Stack + Dell/etc will try to compete against Oracle Cloud Machine

How come it's the best kept secret in the industry?

3. Nate Amsden

The impression I got from reading the article is they might use the same hardware as VSAN ready nodes, because they fill a similar purpose.

Obviously it would run different software on top.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another Cloud Solution to drive a stake into IBM's heart. #AWESOME!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021