back to article Can you spout digital bollocks? London is hiring a Chief Digital Officer

The Mayor of London is hiring a chief digital officer for the capital, advertised at a cool £107,000. The job advert on the Greater London Assembly website says: As London's CDO, working in the Mayor's Office, you will convene GLA officials, the Smart London Board, local authorities and the technology sectors to encourage …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me begin by stating that my vision for London is a perfect synergy of cross alignment in the this new digital era where I intend to combine the visions of the stakeholders to develop a strategy based on the expectations of the tasks.

I can waffle bollocks like that for hours and can guarantee not actually achieving anything other than many meetings where nothing actually gets done. I would apply for it if it wasn't for nepotism.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I would apply for it if it wasn't for nepotism."

Is Bob your uncle? He seems to be having lots of trouble with Eve.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

It sounds more like Bong's his uncle

2. Pedigree-Pete
        Pint

Bob's your Uncle....

@the good Dr. S. I understood Uncle Bobs other half was traditionally Fanny.

Bob's your Uncle and Fanny's your Aunt. PP

ICON:>>>>>Friday Eve.

2. hatti

Let me begin by stating that my vision for London is a perfect synergy of cross alignment in the this new digital era where I intend to combine the visions of the stakeholders to develop a strategy based on the expectations of the tasks.

I can waffle bollocks like that for hours and can guarantee not actually achieving anything other than many meetings where nothing actually gets done. I would apply for it if it wasn't for nepotism.

...When can you start?

2. frank ly

"interest-free bicycle loan"

Is that the loan of a bicycle that nobody else is interested in?

1. maffski

Re: "interest-free bicycle loan"

No, it's one of those solutions governments around the world are so good at.

Problem: Low wage factory/warehouse workers finding it difficult scheduling shift work with public transport

Policy Wonk solution: Tax free salary sacrifice for a pushbike

Real world result: Middle managers riding around on £1,000 carbon bikes at the weekend paid for, in part, by the taxes of those low wage workers

Sensible solution: Increase the tax free earnings threshold

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sensible solution: Increase the tax free earnings threshold

IME of commuting in London, the painful sloth of public transport is matched only by its over-loading and discomfort anywhere near peak hours. The cost is not actually unreasonable.

My idea of a a sensible solution is to stop trying to crowd ever more jobs into a city that can't properly support the number it already has.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"My idea of a a sensible solution is to stop trying to crowd ever more jobs into a city that can't properly support the number it already has."

What we need is a combination of flying cars and Musks underground roads. Although I think the underground roads should be limited to mass transit only, something like buses designed to fit the tunnels. And maybe use guided buses, or put them on rails to minimise the chances of accidents. Now all I need to do is patent the idea and....PROFIT!!!!1!!11!!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Sensible solution: Increase the tax free earnings threshold

Alternative solution ... start to audit people wiht "bike to work scheme" bikes and see if they really meet the criteria (requirement of the scheme is the bike is used "mainly for journeys to/from work or between workplaces) so maybe if a few middle managers find that they have their weekend carbon fibre bikes disallowed from the scheme and then find that the "tax savings" they thought they would get was mainly taken by the retailer putting prices up/not giving them a discount then that might also solve the problem!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

In keeping with the utility and impact of this job, you get a free bicycle, along with a fish to ride it.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Chief Digital Officers are considered both the new stars of the C-suite as well as faddish or transitory roles which will eventually go away.

The CIO show also noted that two years ago the average UK salary for one of these faddish transitories was £114,750, meaning tight-fisted Khan is underpaying by a good few grand once inflation is taken into account."

Maybe the roles are already starting to go away and the salary reflects this. I don't think I'll bother applying - it would probably mean living in London.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Id apply...

But im not very adept at winding up the Chief Analogue Officer.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"... to encourage collaboration and adoption of common standards around data and service transformation, to drive the development of smart city technology..."

Here you go:

- For data, use JSON.

- For service transformation, use REST.

Job done. Can I have my £107K now please?

1. Alan Sharkey

Sorry, you are far too technical to be a CDO. Have a job in development for 1/3 the salary

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Yeah, reminds of todays announcement that the new M&S head of fashion buying is....the CEO of Halfords, the car spares/parts business.

It seems that at high levels of business, actually knowing the business and the product is a distinct disadvantage.

2. tiggity Silver badge

Not JSON

Its too easy for any hipster with 1 days worth of Java Script skills to use.

Something like XML takes a bit more effort (and you can specify schema so no ambiguity thus good for standardisation) - plus more hassles for JavaScript so more chance of it being done with a proper language with decent typing, debugging facilities, test frameworks etc,

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you ALL don't get it

because you don't have a VISION, oh, ye little people of little faithe! And for this handsome salary, an appropriate visionary will step up to spout it, you just wait and see...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perfect for Dave Birss.

8. Lars Silver badge

At least Sadiq Khan stopped that hopeless Garden Bridge project that the idiotic Boris wasted millions on.

9. fidodogbreath

Is there a corresponding Chief Analog Officer?

10. GrumpyKiwi

Sooner not later please

The next big increase in office productivity will come when companies realise that pretty much any role with Digital, Sustainable, Gender, or Communications in the title can be nixed without the slightest impact on company performance. (Anything with Bicycle in the description unless you are working for Avanti, Yeti or a Tour de France group too).

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Sooner not later please

Surely bicycle should be de riguer for Deliveroo C suite job descriptions too?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sooner not later please

Deliveroo has a C suite? What do they do? Presumably not much, based on number of their people cycling on the (no cycling) pavements / footpaths / tunnels alongside or near to marked out roads & cycle lanes ......

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DevOps

They should just go to the DevOps conference you're constantly pushing at the moment and throw a brick to choose their candidate.

Any one of the knowledge-free buzzword-wibblers that feel the need to attend a conference about the fairy-fart that is DevOps should be more than sufficiently fluent in techno-bollox to take the London CDO role on ...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: DevOps

"They should just go to the DevOps conference you're constantly pushing at the moment and throw a brick to choose their candidate."

If the candidate selected by this is still standing they didn't throw the brick hard enough.

12. Dominion

Exciting?

Does it say anywhere that the role is "exciting"? If it's not "exciting" like every other role then I'm not applying.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

13. channelswimmer

It's pretty obvious that this will go to a well connected member of the establishment, like Dido Harding. Expect somebody with a private education, a PPE from Oxford, and parents who have got their own pages on Wikipedia.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this person going to go "infrastructure free" or other random bollocks that makes no sense. They will pick someone who is unqualified but able to speak "bullshit speak" and fool them with their deluded crap.

Several years later when said person has rinsed them for all the money they can get they'll realise they did nothing but talk bollocks and produce nothing. By that time said person will have moved on to con some other company.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like