back to article So few use Windows Phone, Microsoft can't be bothered: Security app is iOS, Android only

Microsoft has introduced a new authentication method for logging into its online accounts: rather than remember and type in a complex password, use an app on your smartphone to confirm it's really you logging in and not some miscreant. That's great news because it should thwart the vast majority of attempts by hackers to …

1. Max Vernon

No Windows Phone Version?

I have it on my Lumia 950 XL. It's available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/azure-authenticator/9nblgggzmcj6

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: No Windows Phone Version?

Did you have to type in a password? This latest version (for iOS and Android) skips the password part.

In any case, kiss goodbye to further app updates. Microsoft doesn't care.

C.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. big_D Silver badge

The Android version has had the accept/reject since the end of last year / beginning of this year.

How does the new version differ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Different app, different capabilities. The one you linked to is essentially obsolete, as is your phone...

1. cambsukguy

My WP authenticator got updated very recently and does have the 'accept' button in the sample images. I only use the authenticator to log into Lastpass usually because the PC never logs me out of the MS system.

I couldn't get a login attempt to prompt me to use the mobile Accept thing though although, since it is on the samples I presume it is an active feature.

As I said, I use it so never that it is kinda meaningless for me and typing the six digits is almost as fast anyway.

3. BaronMatrix

Now if Only I could easily buy one... MS really screwed the pooch on this... They made a decision to base the OS UI/UX on a platform with little share and few choices...

And they doubled down with Modern UI continuing though EVERYONE hated it and EVERY Adreno could do limited AERO, not to mention the latest Intel/AMD/nVidia GPUs for tablets and 2 in 1s...

I just got the Crapators Update on my laptop and the UI STILL looks like Win3.1... I RDP into and the side by side with my Win7 desktop is JUST UGLY...

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
        Windows

@BaronMatrix "I just got the Crapators Update on my laptop and the UI STILL looks like Win3.1"

If Win 10 looked more like Win3.1, it would probably be an improvement...

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

With the WM version you still need to log in with your password before confirming with your phone. The iOS and Android versions just let you confirm with your phone without any need for a password.

The WM version is more secure... logging in requires something you have and know, versus the other two versions that just use something you have (don't get it stolen).

There's a lot of two factor authentication that isn't that, what they mean is they've just shifted authentication to your phone.

But the fact that MS couldn't be arsed to update the app means WM is still dead.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Remember that there is password or biometric security on your phone before you can open the app, or at least there should be.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Given that on Android you can often wipe the lock screen PIN/pattern with ADB and Samsung phones were caught storing the fingerprint in a world readable file I wouldn't trust it that much.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Dan 55 Cite please.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          2. Planty Bronze badge
            FAIL

@Dan55

" This method requires root access and debugging enabled. "

Kinds missed that important note, if you have rooted, all bets are already off...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
              Meh

And (again depending on the model, I'll give you that), it is not that difficult to enable root via recovery.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Please be specific, as every phone I have ever seen, HTC, Samsung, Nexus, Sony, until you unlock the bootloader (which doing so turns it into a untrusted device that will fail dmverify and prevent you using most banking apps, Android Pay and stuff like that), until you unlock the bootloader, you can't just root using adb... If you can, it's using some exploit and again, dmverify will have detected the chain of trust is broken.

This isn't even remotely similar to your claims. On Windows, you can swap out a hacked DLL, and Windows is oblivious to it unless you invoke a scan to check things. Read up and dmverify and you will seen it's not even remotely similar.

https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot/

"Because the hash values are stored in a tree of pages, only the top-level "root" hash must be trusted to verify the rest of the tree. The ability to modify any of the blocks would be equivalent to breaking the cryptographic hash. "

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    5. TheVogon

This was available on Windows Phone first. I already use it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well that's odd, I've got Microsoft Authentication on my Lumina 820 that I've had for over eighteen months and also had it on the Lumina I owned before that - just checked and it is still there and working.

1. Max Vernon

The latest version on Windows Phone 10...

allows you to authenticate without entering a 6-digit code. You just press a button on your phone's interface, and voila you're logged in on your PC. I have it on my Lumia 950 XL, and can confirm it works exactly like the iOS and Android versions.

Re: The latest version on Windows Phone 10...

The latest Android and iOS versions don't require a password. From the Microsoft blog post:

'Here in the identity division at Microsoft, we don’t like passwords any more than you do! So we’ve been hard at work creating a modern way to sign in that doesn’t require upper and lowercase letters, numbers, a special character, and your favorite emoji. And after a soft launch last month, we’re excited to announce the GA our newest sign-in feature: phone sign-in for Microsoft accounts!

With phone sign-in, we’re shifting the security burden from your memory to your device. Just add your account to the Android or iOS Microsoft Authenticator app, then enter your username as usual when signing in somewhere new. Instead of entering your password, you’ll get a notification on your phone. Unlock your phone, tap “Approve”, and you’re in.'

C.

1. Max Vernon

hmmm. Personally, I'd rather have 2FA actually consist of two factors. The way it sounds now, someone could steal my phone and login to my account without issue (assuming I don't have the phone protected with a pin/password). If I do have my phone protected with a pin or password, how is that different from entering the password to sign into my Microsoft account? It's not like I need my Microsoft account password to be 20 characters long if I have 2FA enabled.

This sounds like a solution without a problem.

1. Planty Bronze badge

Keep telling yourself it doesn't matter... The real news is new and shiney Microsoft apps aren't being released not even in development for Microsoft mobile platforms.

It that's not the tell tale sign , then nothing is. Do you want to buy some magic beans? I have some for sale....

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

This sounds like a solution without a problem.

Actually, it sounds more like a solution destined to become a problem.

I have about admin 15 accounts on systems which are 2FA enabled because that is so simple and cheap to do it is hard to argue not to, and all of these are IN ADDITION to a username/password combo. The logons for that are held in Google Authenticator, OTP Auth (a paid for and well worth app) as well as in a browser which gets used if I visit a site I set up using code from https://github.com/gbraad/gauth/ (that just processes the data, the secret is held in your browser).

Why? Well, that's why it is called TWO factor authentication. Just having a phone makes it ONE factor authentication again because most phones don't really have that great access control because typing in a proper passphrase for access is (a) tedious and (b) annoying like hell if you have to do that 20x in a day.

Granted, it is Microsoft so bad security is not exactly news. If there is one thing I have been consistently overwhelmed with when it comes to decades worth of Microsoft it's their approach to and knowledge of security. QED again, I'd say.

3. Orv Silver badge

"If I do have my phone protected with a pin or password, how is that different from entering the password to sign into my Microsoft account?"

Most phones have fingerprint sensors. Few PCs do. This sounds like a way to leverage the phone's fingerprint sensor for PC logins.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Most phones have fingerprint sensors. Few PCs do. This sounds like a way to leverage the phone's fingerprint sensor for PC logins.

The problem is that approach is FAR weaker than a password because a PIN gives you a couple of tries and you're locked out for a bit (or you nuke the phone in the process), whereas you can probably find the fingerprint you need on the actual shiny phone itself. It means you're back to 1FA.

Or even ½ FA :)

2. P. Lee
          Facepalm

So... the phone is a password or certificate vault.

Just how hard is it for MS' coders to develop a tiny app for Windows phone? This is a tiny ui to a cloud authentication service.

Forget revenue, this makes ms look fickle and incompetent. It is a disaster for MS, not just Windows phone.

1. nijam Silver badge

> Just how hard is it for MS' coders to develop a tiny app for Windows phone?

In my experience. developing software for Windows is more difficult than for (say) Linux. I fully expect the same to true of Windows Phone vs Android.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF

Guys what are you talking about?? iOS and Android only???

I use the 2FA on a BB Bold!!! Even then there is 2FA via SMS as usual ('unsecure' as some people say but better than nothing)

4. a_yank_lurker

Irony

Slurp doesn't support its own phone OS with its app.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Irony

Irony? I think you're projecting more schadenfreude than irony.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Irony

Even more ironic that MS have trashed the main benefit they kept going on about with having a single OS across all device platforms: namely, the same app/code could execute everywhere without change...

5. SecretSonOfHG

the mobile Windows team won't run up the bill too high

At this rate, it could be cheaper to take out for dinner the customer base instead of the developer team.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the mobile Windows team won't run up the bill too high

"customer base" AKA those two guys that complained.

OUCH! Me very sorry. I actually use this app with my xbox365 [sic] and my not a windows phone device. TBH M$ forced me to during my futile attempt to use "Microsoft Brand X-Bucks (so much like real money you'd think we stole some from you)" as a form of payment to try Golden Live X-Live for one month for the low low price of $1. Somehow my "X-bucks" failed to meet their stringent currency requirements to test the goat herd feeder orifice for a month. Bah. I'll just do without their X-box Live Golden Shower. But the app does not seem to smell as bad as the Word for iOS one did. It looked like a crappy shell to O369 Word, the online only office orgy of business-like icons, featuring word, excel-123, and team, the ever-the-what-the-crap-do-we-do-with-this-thing app. Just don't try the desktop team app, or you will know the 4th circle of hell. (hint, at the 4th circle your computer has a team app, and that app keeps updating itself all day long, popping up to tell you how awesome a world we live in that you now have the latest updates to an app that is as useless as a the chat feature in skype. and it never stops!)

ATH+++

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the mobile Windows team won't run up the bill too high

"At this rate, it could be cheaper to take out for dinner the customer base instead of the developer team."

Or perhaps gain some really good publicity by buying the remaining customers the Android or iPhone of their choice - like for like in spec terms obviously - and then closing down the operation. It might well work out cheaper.

6. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

You've got this all wrong

If there are no apps there's no data worth protecting, hence no need for a security app. Simples.

7. napalmDaz
    FAIL

Non-article

There is no statement regarding Windows Phone because the Windows 10 Mobile version of the Authenticator app has had this, for like, forever.

Even when scanning QR codes and using it instead of Google Authenticator for things like Github, to authenticate it uses Windows Hello and scans my Iris with near infra-red.

Entering passwords? Since when *yawn*

You'll probably find this is more about pimping out the conveniences of using the Microsoft eco-system over app and Google services.

Non-comment

"the Windows 10 Mobile version of the Authenticator app has had this, for like, forever."

Hey mate - dunno if you noticed but this article is about Windows Phone and all the people who backed Microsoft by buying into WP and now getting their loyalty repaid by being screwed over.

To the apologists: you can argue that this is a minor feature but the message is loud and clear from Microsoft - thanks for believing in Windows Phone, we don't care about you. Don't expect any more support.

Why should anyone buy into Windows 10 Mobile after this shabby treatment.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Non-comment

Why should anyone buy into Windows 10 Mobile after this shabby treatment.

To be fair, anyone who hasn't been pushed that way by golf course inspired manglement will not have even looked at Windows Mobile, but I wouldn't restrict the "shabby treatment" tag to just Windows Mobile.

It's a generic trait.

2. TheVogon

Re: Non-comment

"this article is about Windows Phone"

For which support ended over a year ago. So what this article really says is Microsoft don't release updates for unsupported OSs. Pretty sure we already all knew that.

And it has nothing to do with the number of users.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Non-article

"the Windows 10 Mobile version of the Authenticator app has had this, for like, forever."

No it hasn't. You Judy failed to understand the difference. Just like when you bought (or more likely got given, as nobody willingly buys windows phone)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

While disregarding the Windows Mobile market, remember

- 1% of the SmartPhone market is still ~ 10's of millions of users ~= the size of Apple's user base in the mid 1990's.

- The wealthier / corporate 1% end of the marketplace is more lucrative than the bottom (roughly) ~10% of the consumer marketplace.

- The SmartPhone market is really several different markets as users have different needs, so the best OS for one user is not necessarily the best for another.

- It's easier for an existing player in a market to re-invent itself than for a newcomer to overcome the barriers to entry and raised user expectations.

1. Richard Plinston

> - It's easier for an existing player in a market to re-invent itself

One of Microsoft's problem in mobile is because it _has_ continually re-invented itself and has dumped its previous products. Windows Mobile 6.x was completely dumped when MS re-invented itself as Windows Phone 7. This was dumped, including all the hardware and most of the software, when it re-invented itself as WP8. Most of the WP8 phones have now been dumped. But the real problem is that the complete development process has been re-invented at each stage so that developers have given up after having their development processes dumped several times

1. oldcoder

You mean after having to PAY for yet another "development process"...

No profit for the customer.

So why should they give Microsoft more money?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

MS went as far as requiring you to switch to Windows 8 if you wanted to develop for Windows Phone 8 - you couldn't use 7 because the emulator wouldn't work (and IIRC there were stuff that you could install). It's quite silly when you have a platform in much need of applications to put more roadblocks to developers in a stupid attempt to push your other products that didn't sell well too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1% market share for Windows mobile is wishful thinking.... 0.1% more like...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But apparently it's not canned (at least not officially). Microsoft need to be honest for once and tell external customers the same message they have been telling internal partners for over 6 months, that its Game Over.....

10. the Jim bloke

So how does this work..

in areas of shit phone reception and poor network capability?

Presumably its irrelevant as the 'services' you are trying to access are also not going to work, but still.

I have to walk out into the carpark to use my phone, and our office network regularly fails.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: So how does this work..

you enter your password.

or move to a better phone network. And a better LAN.

11. Phil Kingston

So the same functionality as Google's had for quite some time then?

Microsoft Authenticator joins Office and other MS apps/services that get updates/features on non-MS platforms first/only.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You still have to enter a password for Google on the website and then also enter the 2fa code sent to your mobile or generated using the authenticator app don't you?

That's how mine works?

1. Orv Silver badge

Maybe thinking of Google Smart Lock? If I have my phone near my Chromebook and unlock the phone, the Chromebook unlocks too.

12. jonnycando
    Facepalm

Nothing new here...

Microsoft have long had great ability to put foot in mouth, and then pretend it wasn't there.

13. Mikel

So typical

Lots of Windows Phone users claiming to have had this new feature for years when their phones have never had it and never will.

"Works for me!"

14. Sceptic Tank Silver badge

Hey, yeah ... I knew a guy once who had a Windows Phone....

(aka: oh how we laughed)

15. Timmy B

It still makes me giggle

That a 5% market share for windows phone is a total failure but a 2% desktop OS share for Linux is considered to be the impending year of linux on the desktop. I'd say both are either failures or niche products that won't ever become mass used due to all the current users being too stuck in their ways. Ironically stuck the opposite ways - windows desktop stuck there and android phones stuck there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It still makes me giggle

Well, as the future for computer interface adoption among the masses is currently showing a YoY increase towards mobile, and Linux dominates (and non-Windows completely monopolises ) then Linux has 'won' and is a complete success.

If you add in Servers, Embedded devices, IoT, etc etc then Windows becomes a statistical error margin.

Does it matter? Nope.

Windows Phone is nowhere near 5%, it's way less than half a percent. The issue is, Windows Phones are still for sale, the Windows phone supporters were fairly loyal and Microsoft have basically said our phone strategy is still alive keep buying into it, at the same time they are also saying, our phone customers are not important and so we're not going to spend any effort on developing for them - even a simple app like this.

1. Timmy B

I think we're heading for a situation where people tend to have laptops that they replace every 5 years, tablets they replace every 3 and phones they replace every 2. I think that the laptops will stick to windows until perhaps chrome os takes off. This certainly seems to be the case with people I know and occasionally support.

2. nijam Silver badge

> ... a 5% market share for windows phone is a total failure ...

a 5% market share for windows phone is a total fantasy

1. Timmy B

>...a 5% market share for windows phone is a total fantasy

In Europe it's something similar to that. Worldwide it's close to the Linux desktop 2% share.

3. nkuk

Its arguable that WP ever got to 5% worldwide marketshare, I thought it was more like 3-4%, but regardless even 5% is a small percentage. At WP peak it was niche like Linux, the problem is that since then, its little marketshare has collapsed to literally nothing. No one at this point could argue it hasn't been a total failure. Microsoft has spent umpteen billions, even going so far as to buy Nokia, and all its left with are unhappy ex-customers and unhappy ex-developers.

That is in contrast to desktop Linux that is organically growing, ever so slightly, year upon year, despite having no mega-corp advertising and pushing its adoption. We've had multiple "year of Linux" but the people that were joking about "year of Linux" were looking in the wrong direction.

1. Timmy B

If I had a plant organically growing at the less than 1% year on year that linux is then I'd worry and perhaps invest in some miracle grow.

1. nkuk

I think you would have to question who would be doing the worrying. Being open-source I would have to guess that the developers would generally be more altruistic rather than megalomaniac. The people that are using it must like using it as the usage is climbing rather than dropping like desktop Windows. Its a niche that people enjoy developing and using.

I think for it to really compete against Windows on the desktop it would need a large company with deep pockets to market it to home users, for I time I thought that might be Cannonical, but they seem to be content to be going in their own direction and experimenting rather than focusing on providing and marketing an attractive alternative to Windows.

4. Richard Plinston

> That a 5% market share for windows phone is a total failure

It probably wouldn't be a failure if it had ever been 5%. It is currently much less than 1%. It is a total failure because at one time Microsoft smartphones had 42% of the US market and have been going downwards since in spite of throwing billions at them and never making a profit. Microsoft also killed off several potential competitors: Symbian, Asha, Maemo/Meego (N9, N900), Meltemi, Nokia-X, WebOS; but it didn't help their marketshare.

> but a 2% desktop OS share for Linux is considered to be the impending year of linux on the desktop.

Desktop Linux doesn't lose billions of dollars and isn't decreasing. 'Personal' computers are no longer just desktops. The most personal are those that you carry in your pocket.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Shouldn't UWP apps have fixed this?

Or nobody at MS writes UWP apps already? Another example of MS trying to shove a platform down your throat, just to change mind the next day? What about Xamarin and its cross-platform abilities?

17. Simon Rockman

Windows Phone is dead, long live Surface

Perhaps the reason there is no Windowsphone version is that Microsoft sees Surfacephone as The Future.

But it does look pretty bleak for Windows Phone, not only are new apps not being developed for Windows Phone, existing ones are being discontinued. I paid for Flightradar24 and now no longer have it. Even the BBC has discontinued, iPlayer as an app, saying that you can use the browser instead, but that's flakey. When The Today Programme goes quiet I don't know if it's the cellular connection, browser or bluetooth to my headphones which are to blame. I think I'm going to buy an FM radio..

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Re: Windows Phone is dead, long live Surface

Surface: And with a majestic sweep of the arm, he proudly proclaimed it can run Internet Explorer.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"But it does look pretty bleak for Windows Phone, not only are new apps not being developed for Windows Phone, existing ones are being discontinued. "

Yep, with support for Windows Phone ending over a year ago - all development effort is now in Windows Mobile. For which universal apps can be written that run on both desktop and mobile....

1. Richard Plinston

> all development effort is now in Windows Mobile. For which universal apps can be written that run on both desktop and mobile....

Exactly, so all the developers who wrote for WM6.x and had to dump all their work to start again for WP7, and then had to rewrite for WP8, will now have to dump their work again and start afresh - of go to a more stable environment such as Android, or iOS if they haven't already.

3. Munkstar

... a week before the FM switch off!

18. Danny 5
    Mushroom

Nothing to see here

As a fairly long time windows mobe user Ive gotten used to getting a regular "fuck you" from Microsoft. With the Lumia 950 disaster I'm carrying, I too have had enough and will never user another windows mobile device again.

The real Nokia Lumia 710 I had as my first mobe was awesome. the (still fairly real Nokia) Lumia 1020 I had as a successor was even better. The 950 I got after that has been so horrible, that I can hardly believe it's from the same line of devices (it isn't really, as it's the first and probably only one branded as Microsoft)

Loyal customers have been "rewarded" with a steaming pile of shit really.

Way to alienate your customers!

When the news came out that new Nokia branded phones with Android were coming, I did a little dance!

1. Bob Vistakin
      Mushroom

Re: Nothing to see here

Same here - I'm holding out for the top end Nokia Android model - what a combination.

It's puzzling to see why Microsoft failed so catastrophically in mobile with such a visionary guru running the show.

19. graeme leggett Silver badge

Not as bad as

When new apps come out for iPhone/iPad only.

Like the new UK airspace flight tracker from NATS.

20. TomG

Previously had a Windows 8 phone that I used for several years. Dropped it and broke the screen. Replaced it with a Windows 10 phone. Bought another Windows 10 phone for my SO. We are both happy with the phones. We use them for talking, texting and a few apps. We don't put our lives on the phone. Maybe that is why we don't seem to have any problems.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xamarin?

Don't Microsoft own Xamarin - which touts it's cross-platform dev chops - as well as build apps using React and Electron ... so this is an example of them not doing what they're trying to get other developers to do

22. billdehaan

Windows Phones is OS/2 all over again

From a technically strong (if not necessarily "better") code base, definitely/possibly/maybe/okay no on running Android apps, to being "platform agnostic", to supporting their competitor's operating systems before/instead of their own, Microsoft is take the same steps that IBM took to make OS/2 a success back in 1992-1995.

OS/2 hung on, up to about 2000 for die-hard hangers on, but by 1995 is was all but over. The same thing's true for WinPhone.

And I say this sadly as a happy Nokia 520 owner.

23. Munkstar

Still useable

Still a good mobile OS without certain apps, such a shame they went with a myriad of cheap models instead of big shiny headliners sub £500.

24. largefile

I'm dealing with my sorrow.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/stockdetails/fi-126.1.MSFT.NAS?ocid=edgsp

All you haters can keep on hating. Microsoft keeps on posting big gains and big numbers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like