back to article Irish! data! police! are! preparing! to! whack! Yahoo! over! that! hack!

Yahoo! is set to get a spanking under European Union data protection laws for the biggest of the many megabreaches it copped to last year. The Irish data protection commissioner has stated that a probe by the office into Yahoo!'s megabreach of 2014 – the one in which more than a billion user accounts were affected – has almost …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

So Ireland doesn't mind Apple being a tax dodger (and losing Ireland loads in tax revenue) but a 'slight' snafu by anyone with data protection failings and they're over it wanting money. I know which is a more regular income stream.

1. Kevin Johnston

Yep, data protection breaches are a monthly or even weekly event, if you went the tax route you only get that once a year.

Oh I see, you meant...my bad

2. joeW

It isn't like Yahoo don't get the Apple treatment on Irish taxes too though. A few years ago they reported over €300 million in revenue here, posted a €3 million profit from that, and paid just a few hundred K of corporation tax as a result.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

Headline writer?

Would that be Dr. Seuss? Brilliant....

Maybe Yahoo! should just put major Gov'ts on the payroll, and eliminate these tiresome court cases?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Headline writer?

> Maybe Yahoo! should just put major Gov'ts on the payroll, and eliminate these tiresome court cases?

They'd have to compete with the movie industry, which already has them well in pocket.

3. SeanC4S

I see that country is already following the UK's lead in sanctions for welfare recipients and zero hour work contracts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021