back to article Facebook's 'delightful' AI Clippy the Paperclip creeps into Messenger

Facebook's first practical attempt to implement machine learning blew up badly. After suffering a 70 per cent failure rate, the Messenger Bot was redesigned to provide a potentially useful menu driven service. This week Facebook introduced M, a Siri or Alexa-like AI assistant into Facebook Messenger, hoping it will fare better …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It looks like you are sexting, can I help? - Messenger Bot

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It could know what each of them were into from previous sessions, and suggest hints to get the conversation really 'going'. What larks!

Him: wanna cyber?

Her: Sure, what are you into?

M: Try calling him 'big boy', 70% of his previous sexting sessions got really steamy afterwards.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Her: your profile pic is hot, let's meet up!

Him: ok, how about a drink?

M: Looks like you're arranging a hook up, shall I order some more extra small condoms?

3. Sir Sham Cad

It looks like you're sending a dick pic. I suggest sending a picture of someone elses looking at the size of that.

1. Jay 2

It looks like you're sending a dick pic. I suggest editing the picture to use the enlarge tool first.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It looks like you are sexting, can I help? - Messenger Bot

Well that's going to be hard when you don't have any hands...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Woah woah. You're all assuming accuracy here.

Friend: That Jeremy Corbyn is a bit of a prick.

M: It appears your friend is talking about Jeremy Beadles penis. Might I suggest a joke to break the ice? E.g. Jeremy Beadles cock is tiny, but on the other hand, it's massive.

5. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

More to the point

Facebook is saying that it actively monitoring the content of your communications. Which means it's all monitorable by law enforcement or other government entity, and its subpoenable.

2. Hollerithevo

When I said I was going mad...

...I didn't want a suggestion to phone Uber.

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

and it will be as broken as Google is

... or Amazons refinement filters

I have a document with "unGoogleable" queries which seems to be growing exponentially. Thus reinforcing my assertion (which I get paid for) that the internet is drowning in shit.

Also applies to the spooks, by the way. Good luck finding anything of value in there ....

1. Bandikoto
      Flame

Re: and it will be as broken as Google is

And the search engines aren't helping when they decide that you've mis-spelled something or that what you're really interested in is actually something else, or when it starts to return random rubbish related to one of your search terms when you would really most sincerely rather prefer that it return no results for your carefully-crafted query. Sometimes one feels safer knowing that there are no musical groups comprised of alto clarinets, bagpipes, banjos, and violas.

1. 's water music
        Joke

And the search engines aren't helping when they decide that you've mis-spelled something or that what you're really interested in is actually something else, or when it starts to return random rubbish related to one of your search terms when you would really most sincerely rather prefer that it return no results for your carefully-crafted query. Sometimes one feels safer knowing that there are no musical groups comprised of alto clarinets, bagpipes, banjos, and violas.

Searching for rusty trombones again?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Sometimes one feels safer knowing that there are no musical groups comprised of alto clarinets, bagpipes, banjos, and violas."

I think our local arts centre could probably assemble one at fairly short notice.

3. Phil.T.Tipp
        Pint

@Bandikoto - Oh, but there is a musical group comprised of alto clarinets, bagpipes, banjos, and violas.

Mumford and Sons.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

M> It looks like you mentioned shit. Should I order two tons of toilet paper?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Allow me to reprogram your memory banks with a rather large axe Clippy!

5. Mage Silver badge
    Facepalm

No,

Absolutely no.

Though it's OK if you can actually disable the snooping and the stupid bot responses. Default should be OFF.

Do Tech companies not realise that the HHGTG was NOT a blueprint for the future but a mix of satire about stupid stuff already existing and egotistical stupidly idealistic SF? Are they competing to see which is most like "The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation"?

Just like 1984 was highlighting EXISTING 1948 totalitarian states, not a blueprint for government.

Actually Machiavelli's "The Prince" might have been illustrating existing evil leaders, not a manual, though I'm not sure.

Silicon Valley / US Tech are mostly a bunch of greedy exploitive sociopaths. They are not giving us the future we wanted, but one that people like Harry Harrison warned about! (Read "To the Stars Trilogy"), or read "Shockwave Rider".

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Flame

@Mage Re: No,

I think you missed a very good point... when you said snooping.

What it really shows is that anything you do on FB is monitored with the intent to monetize you. Everything you look at, talk about, or post is captured so that FB can then sell your information based on demographics as well as to tailor your news feed to tailor your viewpoint.

The AI is an extension of it and a constant reminder that you're their product.

Note: The flame isn't for you... but that I am agreeing with you and the flame is meant for Facebook.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Mage No,

If something is free, YOU are the product being sold.

6. fidodogbreath

Yet another reason...

...not to install Facebook Messenger. As if there weren't enough already.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: Yet another reason...

Or to avoid FB all together.

7. LeahroyNake

Clippy

Bite my shiny metal ass !

8. Down not across
    Happy

Salmon Days

Is it just me or was the headline picture lifted (or very similar) to Salmon Days clippy episode?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Salmon Days

exactly what I was thinking...

"It looks like you're writing a letter"

"F. Off"

"F... Off!"

"F! Off!"

"I'm NOT WRITING A F***ING LETTER YOU STUPID F***ING PAPERCLP!"

Classic. I just wish their other stuff had been as funny as that sequence...

9. fedoraman
    Boffin

Citation Needed

I refer you to one of the best (and sadly fictional) works on the subject - "Artificial Intelligence - Real Irritation", cited in 3001 - The Final Odyssey, Ch 24, A. C. Clarke, 1997.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: Citation Needed

I think you would find a better example from Larry Niven. One of the tales from the Drago Bar.

(And it also was in another anthology of his works. Its been several years since I re-read his stuff)

10. cosymart
    Thumb Up

Fits My Profile To a T

In a brand survey earlier this week, teenagers ranked Facebook Messenger as almost as uncool as the Wall Street Journal, or Vice.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jimmy No-Mates

Facebook.

Why?

12. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

M?

M will send you on suicidal missions and greet you with condescending remarks when you make it back.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

No

that might actually be fun.

13. J. R. Hartley

Just what do you think you're doing, Dave.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Christopher Reeve's Horse

Reminds me of something...

Toaster: Howdy doodly do. How's it going? I'm Talkie, Talkie Toaster, your chirpy breakfast companion. Talkie's the name, toasting's the game. Anyone like any toast?

Lister: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast. In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. No toast

Toaster: How 'bout a muffin?

Lister: Or muffins. Or muffins. We don't like muffins around here. We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and definitely no smegging flapjacks.

Toaster: Aah, so you're a waffle man

16. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Coat

A talking paperclip? How quaint.

mine is the one with the cattleprod in the nasty pocketses...

17. Wyrdness

Misplaced quotes

FTA: People have already enjoyed "machine learning" (sic) in the form of data detectors

Surely that should read: People have already "enjoyed" machine learning.....

18. Francis Boyle Silver badge

A poll?

Well, that's world peace done, then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like