back to article Wi-Fi sex toy with built-in camera fails penetration test

Sex toy designer Svakom decided that a vibrator needed a camera on the end, and it also needed a Wi-Fi access point – with the utterly predictable result that the device is hackable. Pen Test Partners – these jokes just write themselves, really – took a look at the device, and the researchers probably wish they hadn’t, because …

1. mr. deadlift
    Coffee/keyboard

the smut level.

Is off the scale.

You could have at least posted this on Friday.

Rooted dildo, ::snigger::

Ah, so much for a professional look at my desk...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This story deserves an indepth review!

ElReg should make a deep dive investigation into the matter, penetrating the issue to the core, & end the story with a thunderous climax revelation!

Don't let them pull the wood er wool over your eyes, don't let them fap you off with buzzword bullshite, make them give it to you straight.

Demand answers, demand full disclosure, & don't settle for anything less than full satisfaction.

*Cough*

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the plastic splash guard over the top...

3. redpawn

In other words

its just another security cam only more so.

1. Peter2 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: In other words

In other words, security wise it's completely fucked.

4. Long John Brass
    Gimp

Rooted via back door

Svakom Siime Eye

Damn; I misread that as sLime eye.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: Rooted via back door

I misread it that way too. Serves me right for only giving the article a brief glans.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

I misread that too.

I'd suggest any malware that uses this backdoor be named "Brown Eye"...

1. Long John Brass
        Paris Hilton

I'd suggest any malware that uses this backdoor be named "Brown Eye"...

Rodger that

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's the problem with the sex toys industry: you can't notify them because they understand something different under "a heads up"..

Originally I assumed they must have come up with some nifty image stabilisation if they get decent pictures from something that vibrates, probably viscous damping..

2. Unicornpiss

There used to be malware called "Back Orifice", after Microsoft Back Office. Seems kind of fitting too..

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re. Slime Eye - me too. That's all I can see when I read the article. And I now can't unsee it.

1. Simon Harris

I presume one gains access to the device using a tunnelling protocol.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

They could have used a dial-up rather than WiFi for security by obscurity, although it might need a special STD code.

5. fidodogbreath

Wide open and ready

I wonder what they'd find with deep packet inspection.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wide open and ready

I wonder what they'd find with deep packet inspection.

Isn't it more deep pocket inspection?

Uh, can you grab me the mind bleach, please?

:)

6. T. F. M. Reader

Reg-inspired?

Someone took the "Pictures or it didn't happen" meme a bit too far... eh... deep...

7. Andrew Jones 2

Is there actually someone out there who suggested this as a product to someone?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

I'm guessing that it could become popular for Chaturbate performers, especially given that Bluetooth controlled toys became popular so they would vibe at different rates depending on the *ahem* tip.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WiFi in a device inside pussy, a really bad idea!

WiFi is Pulsed Microwave, so may cause cells to malfunction or die, like for mobiles; not the kind of thing you want happening to sex organ cells, especially eggs!

1. Meph

Re: WiFi in a device inside pussy, a really bad idea!

@Anon

One would hope that they were smart enough to put the antenna at the base of the unit, but after reading how they managed the security aspects of the tech, I'm not willing to place any bets..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably less risk than men carrying their mobile in their trouser pocket.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not really - sperm cells have a lifetime of a few days, but new ones are created all the time.

Eggs have a lifetime of 30 years or so, but new ones aren't created, so if you irradiate all of them, your done.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Not really - sperm cells have a lifetime of a few days, but new ones are created all the time."

The mobile in a trouser side pocket is very close to them for most of every day - and there are many millions present in the testes at that time. So if the radiation can cause mutations then the probability is there. If the probability is low then any mutated sperm are unlikely to be the winners in the fertilisation race.

There are fewer eggs in the ovaries - but even these sex toys will get nowhere as close to them.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: mobile in their trouser pocket

Especially if its an exploding Galaxy model.

And no, I am not *that* pleased to see you!

3. Updraft102

RIsk or free extra benefit?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can never have enough chlorine in the gene pool, so this slime self neutering gizmo is welcomed.

4. Crazy Operations Guy

*Sigh* how many times do I have to tell people that battery powered devices like this are completely incapable of generating ionizing radiation since they lack the high-voltage components to do so. You'd need to figure out some way of dumping an entire battery's energy into a burst of a few nanoseconds to get any ionizing radiation, and even then, that radiation is no where near harmful to organic matter.

Being within a meter of another human is going to generate an infinitely larger amount of ionizing radiation (Due to the natural break-down of carbon-18 into carbon-16 as part of life) than a cell phone would produce, much less something like Bluetooth.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"*Sigh* how many times do I have to tell people that battery powered devices like this are completely incapable of generating ionizing radiation "

An awful lot, I'm afraid. With the real mumetal underpants wearers, the argument that microwaves are non-ionising tends to result in some kind of woo that perhaps they make proteins or DNA vibrate in a way that causes damage. Of course you can cause thermal damage to proteins and DNA if you concentrate enough microwaves, but not with wifi. Phones can in exceptional cases cause burns - if they are in contact with skin and the battery and CPU get hot - but that's good old heat, not microwaves.

However, given the intended use of this - er - device, the biggest risk is probably an STD transmitted by inadequate sterilisation between users.

Not so much the Internet of Things, more the Internet of Thing Substitutes, with the same risks.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Coat

"and the battery and CPU get hot - but that's good old heat, not microwaves."

Heat? But, but, but, that's infra-red RADIATION!!11!!1ONE!!11!!

2. Richard Pennington 1
        Mushroom

Re: Isotopes

Carbon-18 and Carbon-16? Only if you've REALLY gone nuclear. Natural decay of Carbon-14 to Nitrogen-14 (or Potassium-40 to Argon-40 or Calcium-40) is more plausible.

9. frank ly

Details

I assume the 'device' has a light at the tip. Considering the skill level shown so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd forgotten that on the prototype.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Details

I assume the 'device' has a light at the tip. Considering the skill level shown so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd forgotten that on the prototype.

That's easy, you just hook it up to Darknet instead..

10. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Coat

I wondered why your missus asked me to remove the GoPro5 that was duct-tapped to the end of her dildo :-)

I'll get my coat - it's the one with a war-driving antenna poking out the front !!!

11. Stoneshop
    Facepalm

these jokes just write themselves, really

They missed out on using Bluetooth, with its pairing of devices.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Whoredriving...

Welcome to the Internet of Turpitude!

13. Steve C#

Check this out

Guess what I just found:

https://www.amazon.com/Svakom-Siime-Wireless-Lighted-Camera/dp/B00UAM114M

Fun, no reviews yet....

1. Tom 38

Re: Check this out

$145?!

Fuck me

1. Alumoi Silver badge

@Tom

With the Slime?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Tom38

Not unless you are a bottom catcher .

4. John__Smith

Literally!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

\(|)/

I think more analysis of the penetration is needed.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A dildo that fails a penetration test is pretty useless.

April the 1st has passed hasn't it?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like fun

I'm renaming my hot spot to “Siime Eye” just to get on the wigle charts ... as I drive down the interstate to work.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Pam Ayres

I've long been a fan of Pam Ayres, haven't we all, so I feel moved to write a poem to hopefully capture how she would've commented on this story. Here we are:

I got my girl a Siime

To use under her slacks.

She used it up front,

She used it round the back.

It saved my soul

When I was feeling knacked,

I'd fire up my iPad,

And watch the attack.

One day around nine,

She put her Siime

Where the sun doesn't shine,

I was close to getting mine.

I was having a whack,

When I read in The Reg,

That the Siime could be hacked,

My composure was cracked,

So I pulled up my pants,

And put on a bet,

That most of the net,

Had seen her all wet*

(* in the shower of course)

18. Tom 7

Thats one in the eye for design

NToilet paper.

19. creepy gecko
    Facepalm

That's not the backdoor action you're looking for.

Move along.

Move along.

20. kmac499

Come on, the important questions are How waterproof and How much??

I've got some drains that need checking and it might be cheaper than a Dyno Rod survey, especially as it can 'wiggle' past obstruction under it's own power.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Getting a drain to unclog by making it contract is certainly a novel approach..

:)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've got some drains that need checking...

F'narr! F'narr!

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

USB connected endoscope is much cheeper...

...for checking drains. Not sure about the other things a Siime can do.

21. Philip Stott

WhyFi?

No, really, FFS why!?!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WhyFi?

It's a BDSM thing some of us are into. The Dom(me) can trigger the dildo to vibrate surreptitiously and embarrassingly at his/her whim.

1. Philip Stott

Re: WhyFi?

Fair enough, I can understand that, but I still don't get the camera bit. A rasher of bacon flopped over the top would probably not look too dissimilar to being buried inside ... er, the up close and personal view.

22. Andy 97

My only hope is the one day, El Reg hacks will be running the Daily M*il.

23. Unicornpiss
    Happy

Kudos for the headline

I'm assuming the penetration test was a simple in and out. (Repeat)

24. Christoph

How long before the government demands access to the camera feed from these "to prevent terrorism"?

25. adam payne

At first I thought this was an April fools.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

1. Vinyl-Junkie
      Unhappy

Re: You couldn't make this stuff up.

Well you probably could, but what's the point when there's such a rich seam of idiocy to mine in the real world?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You couldn't make this stuff up.

"Well you probably could, but what's the point when there's such a rich seam of idiocy to mine in the real world?"

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken September 19, 1926

26. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Is it a hairy fanny?

Exit 1970s bawdy hospital...

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security?

I'd have thought this is more of a 'Personal Tech' story.

28. handleoclast
    Coat

Internet of shit?

Surely it only qualifies for "internet of shit" if it is used anally.

29. d3vy

Yeah!

I've found a new name for my mobile hot spot!

1. Unicornpiss
      Coat

@d3vy

But is "mobile hot spot" a euphemism for something else?

30. Alistair

Resist.... .Resists ..... resis... (oh hell)

One of our ..... associates/acquaintances a few years ago was aware of my skills with computers and one weekend evening asked me to 'give her a hand' with her system, which was misbehaving at the time. The lass in this case was ... gainfully employed ... apparently in the entertainment industry ... There have been umm ... rather a few .. connectible devices manufactured ... mostly USB based, a few bluetooth. She had several and had unfortunately contracted a trojan of some sort in hunting up 'drivers' for one of them.. I'm just *not* going to comment on the rather awkward conversation that ensued.... Firstly having to explain to her that the reason her connections were so terrible of late being that everything she was doing was being tapped off to at least 2 additional destinations, and that the "really nifty ads" for 'outfits' she was getting in her "work email" were (each and every one of them) carrying a copy of one or more trojans.

(as an aside, we did get to know the lass a bit, and some would be quite critical of her, but she was dragging herself out of some very bad places, and is now doing much much better for herself and her 2 children. 'nuff said)

My wife knew about it and had to run off about 15 minutes into the discussion to avoid breaking out in hysterical laughter. Considering the lass in question was only about 3 years older than our eldest, I think I spent the entirety of the time I was there shaded about the colour of the 'fail' icon. I have to give the lass credit, she was quite open about the whole thing, I suspect since it was making her a tidy sum.

WIFI? directly in a ... device... of this nature? *that* deserves a "fail" at the very least.... mind you, bluetooth data transfer rates suck *cough* ass and are liable to fluctuate rapidly depending on *cough* alignment of the antennas .....so I suppose they were hoping to improve *cough* throughput of the data, whilst having the transmitter moving about rapidly.

31. Stevie
    Coat

Bah!

Internet of Slit.

I'll show meself out.

32. Bucky 2
    Coat

If I got a sex toy with a camera in it, I would be buying it so that my activities could be viewed.

The fact that it's hackable gives me plausible deniability. "Gee, officer, I didn't KNOW that all my neighbors could see me putting that thing up my behind at exactly 7:00, 6, Central and Mountain time."

33. Portent

Plugins and Exits?

Does it support plugins and user exits?

34. Christoph

Nearly there ... Nearly there ... Oh god, nea ...

Please Wait while Microsoft installs updates to your system.

35. Shaha Alam

you might thing 'Pen Test Partners' is a sexy place to work.

just wait till they help you sort your bic's from your biro's.

36. Cynic_999

It's perfect

For use on a virtual dogging site that only geeks can access.

37. KBeee
    Thumb Up

Hacking "personal items"

Never underestimate the ingenuity and engineering skill shown when it comes to "Personal" toys.

http://scanlime.org/2012/11/hacking-my-vagina/

38. JaitcH
    Happy

A Few Years Ago I was Sourcing a Chinese manufacturing Contractor . . .

I visited one likely candidate and the Director proudly showed me his then current production run of a custom BlueTooth device.

Basically it comprised a BlueTooth App that communicated with a spherical ball in which there was a BlueTooth receiver, a cell handset vibrator and an inductive charger and battery,

The App would be in a remote cell handset and an SMS message directed to the equipped cell handset would trigger the vibrator, The spherical device was intended for use in the vagina of the message recipient.

The Lover 1 would trigger the vibrator to show Lover 2 they were being thought of by way of a clitoral stimulation.

I asked if they sold well in China, to which he replied No, we do 'it' the natural way. Later I learned he made hundreds of thousands of these devices, which likely explained why he wasn't interested in batches of 500 units of our product!

For some strange reason he gave me a sample of the product. I find it ideal for mixing drinks a la James Bond - "shaken, not stirred".

39. Evil Auditor Silver badge

"so that pervs can figure out where the device is in use, and tune in to its output."

I thought that was the whole point of this device anyway.

40. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

The question has to be asked

So, now, looking at that dildo ... are you Brits a little bit on the "thin" side, or what is the story there? Do you need some rhino horn?

1. anonymousI

Re: The question has to be asked

Not at all.

British women are like Goldilocks - not too much, not too little - just right.

41. Herby

Jokes just write themselves.

From the comments, it appears that in the given context, the jokes are pretty good. The subject matter appears to be one that common readers of ElReg are quite familiar with, and appear to have experience.

May they continue. Keep calm and carry on.......

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why all the mocking?

Maybe, in future there could be a competition !

eg. Mine is thinner, wider, bigger, longer,deeper, colourful etc than yours ! All online of course.(to maintain the IT angle)

Hell, there could also be a TV show. Imagine what would be the prizes on offer .

Then theres the serious side to it. Self examination for polyps, Ovarian cancers, other issues, etc. Kind of a DIY endoscope. Think how much it might save the NHS in consultants ! See, there's always a silver lining.Am sure devs they are already working on the apps !

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Candid Loving Internet of Things.....

.... do I need to go further? Not so much of a hotspot....

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Internet of Dongs?

(gets coat)

Seriously though, what we should now do is go through the video(s) and if something abnormal shows up email the person it belongs to and "politely" suggest they might want to go for an appointment.

It would also be handy to correlate certain uhm, "problems" to particular users so that we can track STDs.

45. adam payne

Well it's penetration but not the one they were expecting.

46. boatsman
    Holmes

B

the answer is B

;-)

47. CarkQuinn

That really is insane!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon