back to article UK splurges £20m on six regional HPC centres

A UK government research council is spending £20m to build six regional high-performance computing (HPC) centres. The Engineering and Physics Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) oversees a three-tier HPC structure and is building out the second tier. The top and most powerful tier is the ARCHER supercomputer, a Cray XC30 …

1. Flakk

ARCHER Supercomputer

Danger Zone!

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: ARCHER Supercomputer

Located at Brookfield Farm, Ambridge?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cirrus Specs

Are publicly available here: https://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/facilities/cirrus and http://www.cirrus.ac.uk/about/hardware.html

Upgraded from the original 56 nodes to 280 and 406TB disk (up from 112TB).

3. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese

The Midlands Plus system will have 65.5TB of RAM on the x86 system, 5 x 20-core POWER 2.86 GHz nodes with 1TB RAM/node, EDR Infiniband, 1PB GPFS file system and a 10 TB SSD-based filestore

Give me a file editor, a C compiler and about 20 minutes, and I reckon I could still have an application that mis-uses and/or leaks enough resources to bring that bad boy to its knees.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmm. You may be correct, but is that a reflection of competence or incompetence on your part?

When I look at the bloatware that clags up clients, servers, and standalone devices the world over, I can't help thinking that Hanlon's razor applies.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

When you look at the size of some of these machines then realise that an old bank employer had a 25,000 core grid compute facility it puts it into perspective just how much money they were throwing at a problem and what it could have done with spare compute cycles.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Glad and Sad

Glad the secretaries who run the IT dept. at my employer have nothing to do with this.

Sad that the rest of us have nothing to do with this.

Good luck to Loughborough et al.

Anon because colleagues...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021