back to article BIG open-source love Microsoft and Google? You still won't catch AWS

Open source wasn’t supposed to matter in the cloud. After the Free Software Foundation’s failed attempt to rein in network-delivered software services, some wrung their hands and waited for the open source apocalypse. Instead of imploding, however, open source adoption has exploded, with ever more permissive licenses rising to …

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Windows

So Google and Microsoft talk about it, but AWS actually does it?

Sounds about par for the course

1. RyokuMas Silver badge
      Coat

"Sounds about par for the course"

... but... but... but... developers don't care about golf...

... I'll get me coat.

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

That does remind me

Of "Leaderboard" on the C64. Much as I wanted to know how it was done, I used to enjoy turning on autofire on the joystick while I went for a bath and see how many strokes it took on the course. I think the record was over a thousand (1,238 if I remember right)

2. Paul Matencio

Not really

That's your opinion. There are big open source on Google Cloud and Azure. Moreover as Amazon compete with the Open source projects they host, there is no reason that these Big open Source will not migrate to GCP or Azure in the future. As for instance Pivotal Cloud foundry has moved from AWS to GCP and they are saving money while getting better performance ( faster VM provisionnng and booting 50% faster than AWS, etc .)

2. Paul Matencio

May be But

Google is offering a lot of free services, there is no reason not to use them. Moreover there is absolutely no reason to stick to one cloud provider. All in all, there is not reason that Google will not catch AWS as long as their cloud services will be cheaper and faster.

3. dgap

Microsoft Azure is going hell for leather over open source - the level of investment there is nuts. But having said all that, I'm not sure what developers think really matters that much at scale. At smaller companies I've seen devs and tech architects define the platform. As companies get bigger though, developers opinions are not really factored in - it's senior decision makers who decide which cloud platform, which software platform is going to be used. Whether for big consultancies and SIs or "end user" commercial businesses. And these are the organisations that generate the real money for cloud providers.

4. philnc

Not just branding

A lot of what has been written about open source in the cloud, like this artcle, simplistically treats it as if it were a brand like DirectX [TM] or Naugahyde [TM]. Clearly it's not. It is, first and foremost, a licensing choice. Depending upon the specific license it might also be about requiring contributing back useful improvements to the source project.

Which gets us to one point the article got right, the distinguishing feature that makes open source attractive to beheamoths like Amazon: the communities that exist in and alongside open source projects. Those communities aren't just customers, they're also part of the product. Big companies (Oracle?) who have stumbled in dealing with open source usually get their by ignoring or actively excluding those communities. Amazon, Microsoft, and to some extent even Google, have succeeded in not making that mistake. Of course, there's no accounting for what a megalomaniacal CEO might Tweet or fart out in the future, so the old adage still applies: "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021