back to article Huawei picks SUSE for assault on UNIX big iron

Huawei's tightened its relationship with SUSE for extremely high reliability computing, while also denting Microsoft's and Red Hat's prospects. The Chinese company's high-availability offering is its KunLun servers, 16-or-32-socket beasts that can pull off tricks like non-disruptive hot swapping of like CPUs and memory. Of …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The prize here is the chance to convert those running UNIX on the Power, RISC and Itanium systems often used in the most resilience-hungry computing environments."

If I were a sysadmin running on one of those environments I'd not be as easily tempted by Linux as I once was. Linux seems to be moving away from being a Unix lookalike. I'd be more interested in a BSD. OTOH I'm not sure about the extent to which commercial S/W has been ported such as the proprietary databases I'd probably still be running.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Linux seems to be moving away from being a Unix lookalike.

While I suspect you may have a point regarding generic "Linux", I'm not sure SUSE Enterprise fits that generalisation. It still seems (just my opinion) more unixy than other distros and seems to hold its enterprise status because of that.

2. returnofthemus

The prize here is the chance to convert those running UNIX on the Power???

Hmm!

I'm not sure I'm seeing any sort of prize here either, RHEL, Ubuntu & SUSE all run on Power Architecture, as well as the Mainframe in fact IBM and SUSE introduced Linux to the mainframe 17-years ago, POWER8 bi-endian support sees support for mixed workloads on a single system, all three popular Linux distros, including AIX and IBM i.

2. IanMoore33

hot swapping - old news

I worked on Tandem's NUMA HA systems 2 decades ago that features hot swapping of every component of a running UNIX systems and even expanding them by adding CPUS and devices . I roll my eyes when people think this is new magic trick invented recently.

1. stephanh

Re: hot swapping - old news

Nobody claimed this was new, just that Huawei is entering this market. Also first time a Linux system is sold as a high-availability OS.

1. Lars Silver badge
        Coat

"Also first time a Linux system is sold as a high-availability OS by Huawei.". To be more precise, assuming it's the first time.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IMO - The HA fault tolerant (FT) equipment has been replaced by cheap(er) commodity products and Cloud computing where you have redundancy in Cloud by multiple instances. Does the HP product line ( inherited from Tandem ) even provide hardware FT anymore ? I thought botox Queen Carly F killed all of that by removing the "Invent" logo and propriety HW.

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Tandem is old-news.

Unfortunately, the RAS features that used to be around in Tandem and Stratus (bloody hell, Stratus still exists!) are apparently feature that vendors do not consider useful any more.

In the same time, customers have been encouraged, for power and supposedly manageability reasons to consolidate all their systems onto ever-larger single systems divided up by visualisation.

And what happens when features fail and need swapping? Well, I/O cards can be swapped, as can drives, power supply components and fans. But once you get to core features like CPU and Memory, the only way is to take part or all of a system out of service.

Even in the modular IBM Power Systems (770, 780, 870 and 880) systems, where supposedly you can power down individual drawers, I've never come across a situation where a CPU or memory repair action has suggested just powering down the affected processor drawer, but wants the whole system powered down.

The solution to this? Well, on-the-fly workload migration is normally the current suggestion, but that means that you have to keep the same capacity as your largest system spare, and there will be performance and time constraints while migrations are carried out. Otherwise, you de-construct your workloads, and place them onto smaller systems that you can afford to have down for service actions without affecting the service.

Of course, hardware will continue to run in a degraded state now (if a CPU core or memory DIMM fails, the rest of the system may well continue to run), meaning that you can plan your outages rather better that you used to be able to do, but to restore full performance, some outage will probably be required.

If Huawai can produce servers at a reasonable cost where CPUs and memory can be replaced without shutting a system down, I can see current buyers of Power and SPARC systems looking at them vary carefully, but it will need some OS modifications to allow hardware to be disabled and not considered for work. It's possible, but will need work in the scheduler, and the memory allocation code. Power, IBM I and AIX can do some of this already, but I'm not sure that Linux on Power can, and I think on Intel, it's still in it's infancy.

But with the integration of memory and PCIe controllers in modern processor dies, system builders will have to know a whole lot more about the internal architecture of the systems to provide resilient configurations that will allow processor cores with all their associated on-die controllers to be removed without affecting the service.

I personally still favour a larger number of smaller systems, rather than relying on increased complexity in the design, and I think that, whether knowingly or not, customers embracing cloud are making the same decisions.

3. Velv
    Gimp

The Chinese company's high-availability offering is its KunLun servers, 16-or-32-socket beasts that can pull off tricks like non-disruptive hot swapping of like CPUs and memory.

So others have mentioned Tandem doing this, we were also doing it in Windows Server 2003 in, er, 2003 on HP ProLiant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am fairly certain the non-stop/superdome systems are not called Proliant, which are x86 systems and have never supported hot plug CPUs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hot Plug CPUs

The comments in this thread are all hardware-oriented.

Let us not forget that if you want to do hot-plug CPUs, there are multiple software-oriented approaches to increase performance, memory capacity and addressable storage. Having this trick built into the hardware architecture may be useful, but has a decreasingly limited appeal as architectures evolve.

1. returnofthemus

The comments in this thread are all hardware-oriented.

Yes, partly due to the ineptitude of the author who conflated instruction set architectures with operating systems. put two 'n' two together and came up with 13

2. fredesmite

Why anyone would waste time having a Windows turd run longer without a reboot is beyond me !

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linux on business servers?

Until recently, the largest Linux scale-up servers were 8-sockets. And Linux scaled awfully bad on those. The SGI UV3000 servers are HPC clusters for number crunching, they can not run general purpose workloads such as business workloads like SAP, large OLTP databases, etc. That domain exclusively belonged to Mainframes and large RISC servers (16-. or 32-sockets) running Unix.

The earlier 10.000 core Linux servers were clusters only able to run HPC number crunching embarassingly parallel workloads. Recently the first Linux 16- and 32-socket servers have been released (HP Kraken, Bullion) and this. These are general purpose servers that are able to run business workloads such as SAP and databases. I do suspect though that the performance is very bad, as these are the first generation of large Linux business servers. Linux is developed on 1-2 socket desktops. Until recently no one had access to 16-socket Linux servers - they did not exist. So how can Linux scale well on 16-socket or 32-socket servers? It will take decades before it does.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like