back to article Google borks Nexus 6 with screwy over-the-air Android 7.0 downgrade

Google’s bad week continues with an emborkened Android update pushed to some Nexus 6 users. A serious cockup at the Chocolate Factory caused an over-the-air (OTA) downgrade to people who had side-loaded Android 7.1.1, dropping them back to Android 7.0 and sending their phones into meltdown. “It makes no sense," complained …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whew

Good deal as first though on seeing headline was oh sh1t missus phone going to get borked (and then remembered I got her the 5x, stupid models hard to remember). I have learned my lesson though and handed it to her still in box and haven't touched it since. Still if I had put a rom on it would have been CopperheadOS anyway.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Move along nothing to see

A serious cockup at the Chocolate Factory caused an over-the-air (OTA) downgrade to people who had side-loaded Android 7.1.1, dropping them back to Android 7.0 and sending their phones into meltdown.

Anyone who sideloads an OS onto their phone should be familiar with the risk of potential data loss especially when they okay the downgrade.

Want Android 7.1 on a Nexus 6? Go with LineagesOS

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Move along nothing to see

Want Android 7.1 on a Nexus 6? Go with LineagesOS

Still suffering from the Cyanogemod problem, that its great for devs and hardened tinkerers willing to risk bricking their phone, but as clear as mud for the rest of the planet. Depends on what success looks like for LineagesOS, but if those behind it want people to install and use it, they need to attend to three key failings:

1) What the software is and does - Android equivalence, fit with Google Play and Google apps - this just isn't obvious from the web site, and Wikipedia is better but fairly scant.

2) How to install it - clear simple instructions that an intelligent person can follow.

3) The install process needs to be far easier and more automated, since it appears to be the same convoluted series of additional packages and libraries that need installing. I have played with Cyanogenmod and Android sideloads in the past, and if I'm finding it tedious and problematic, then there's little chance that the masses will be able to use it.

And I've even got suitable handsets kicking around that I could try it on, I'd take the risk, but the whole process is just too clunky, time consuming and in my experience falls over at one step or another. One click install needs to be the ambition for the project, and in 2017 I don't think that's a big ask is it?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

One click install needs to be the ambition for the project

There are several reasons why this isn't necessarily the case. This is all about installing onto devices that block root access for security reasons. If installing a new OS can be done in a single click then so can installing a compromised OS. For the rest, I think the failed CyanogenMod installer shows just how difficult this is when you don't own the hardware.

I've had LOS on my S5 since January and it's generally been pretty good, even the time when there were conflicts with Google Play Services. An increasing number of apps require the services in order to run but LOS itself runs fine without it and alternative App stores are easy enough to use. But basically most people sideload the OS to get rid of vendor and network bloatware and keep their phone as up to date as possible. YMMV.

How easy it is to install depends mainly on the hardware and how easy it is to root and install TWRP. I've only ever had Samsungs and they're pretty easy but definitely not for the faint-hearted. AFAIK LOS is completely open source and driven by volunteers. This means that spit and polish isn't necessarily the main focus, though I personally have been impressed by how quickly the necessary build infrastructure has been put in place and the increasing number of devices supported.

A smoother experience would need the hardware manufacturers to get involved to provide drivers and sign releases so that an OTA install would be possible.

2. bazza Silver badge

Anyone who sideloads an OS onto their phone should be familiar with the risk of potential data loss especially when they okay the downgrade.

Hang on a mo, that's a pretty far stretch. Unlike a lot of other software companies, Google seemingly cannot make an installer that does version compatibility checks. I mean, not even Microsoft have pushed out an update that downgrades one's OS to a previous version by mistake. Which is a shame, there's a lot of people who'd like to go back to Win7...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Meh

Google seemingly cannot make an installer that does version compatibility checks.

Then again, as 7.0 is the highest version they've shipped for the device, why would they check for a higher one prior to install?

If you tweak it yourself, you need to take responsibility for what subsequently happens to it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like