back to article Quantum takes on GPFS and Lustre in commercial HPC market

The entertainment and media market has not been typically seen as a part of the high-performance computing (HPC) market, with the associated massively parallel file access and data set management. In the HPC world file access software such as Lustre and GPFS, now renamed Spectrum Scale are often seen. HPC was an academic and …

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

I wonder how many people remember...

... that before it was called IBM Spectrum Scale storage, IBM Elastic storage, or General Parallel (I think) File System, GPFS was actually called the Multi-Media File System?

The evidence is quite clear, because as per normal, even though the name of the product changes, the names of the commands within the product haven't.

A huge number of the commands you run to configure and control GPFS start mm-, things like mmlsfs, mmlsconfig etc.

The original product was developed to provide a many server striped scaleable and reliable filesystem for IBM SP/2 Scaleable Parallel (sometimes called Supercomputers), often known as lan-in-a-can clusters, when IBM tried to sell them as media storage and delivery systems for what was then an almost non-existent on-demand video market. This was in the mid-1990s, before the likes of Netflix even thought of an over-the-net video delivery service, and when Amazon was just shifting books.

1. fredesmite

Re: I wonder how many people remember...

shoosh ... don't spill the beans the old stuff has been rehashed with a new flashy name and logo

2. Wild Westener

Actually - if you look in /user/lpp/mmfs/bin you will see that most of the commands that start "mm" point to commands that start with "ts" which dates from the time that GPFS was the "Tiger Shark" filesystem.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

@Wild Westener

Good point (which I did know), although I was commenting on the fact that the Quantum filesystem is being touted as a media filesystem, something that GPFS had been intended for 20 years ago.

3. kb3m

Lizardfs

Lizardfs looks like a good alternative to Lustre and GPFS. It's a fork of Moosefs which mimics the proprietary Gogglefs. The media targeted EditShare EFS is based on lizardfs. It does require a fsd but I'm beginning to think that having the storage vendor in control of both sides of the equation may be a good thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021