Lacklustre reporting.

This topic was created by Known Hero .

1. Known Hero
    WTF?

Lacklustre reporting.

In all honesty, Why is there not a single story about the AMD Ryzen launch from the Reg? I was looking forward to reading an article on it and going through the comments and gauging the feel of the community here at the reg.

They are cutting the price of computing in half and you don't have a word to say about it ?

Intel have been caught trying to speak to reviewers in seemingly underhand attempt before they review Ryzen.

AMD have performed the biggest turnaround of a failing tech company and nothing nada bumcus !!

What's with the Stony silence ????

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Lacklustre reporting.

It doesn't launch until March 2. When it actually arrives, we'll write about it.

C.

1. Known Hero
        Unhappy

Many Thanks for the response, it is greatly appreciated that you took to the time to let me know.

Personally I don't believe the reason given considering the number of stories on hardware not yet released e.g. Samsung S8 and Gear VR yesterday, Hololens still not out for a while, there is a plethora to choose from of stories about items not released.

Ah well, only tomorrow to wait then, I await with baited breath for the avalanche of stories in regards to high end computing affordability being cut in half.

Well, I'm sad you don't believe me, but it's the truth. I wrote about Zen last year. When Ryzen was announced at the end of 2016, all that was revealed was the name, and then later on, the on-sale date was announced, and tomorrow it's coming out.

At El Reg, we don't really do the whole trickle-feed of hype. I'd rather wait for the thing to arrive and do one decent story on it rather than act as an external marketing wing for AMD.

We've written about Hololens and the S8 and so on, but we also wrote about and mentioned Zen last year - in August, September, April, and October. Where I've written about Hololens, it was either in passing about Windows 10 or was an exclusive on the headset's DSP chipset.

I can tell you're a massive fan of AMD, and I'm pleased for you. But I'm not going to act as the advertising wing of a multibillion-dollar corp, especially when other sites are tripping over themselves to say nice things about the CPU.

C.

1. Known Hero

Haha, yup can't hide that fact that I am a AMD supporter, wouldn't quite say Fanboi, as I do have Intel gear and Nvidia gear dotted around the house, where it is cheaper/better.

I honestly do appreciate the time you have taken to respond to me, when I searched for Ryzen I couldn't find anything, Although you are quite right "Zen" does bring up results, I wholeheartedly apologise for not searching hard enough.

I genuinely look forward to reading your reviews be they good or bad, and couldn't agree more regarding acting as a advertising branch through Hype, but not even a small note regarding the press announcement had me wondering considering how big a shakeup it is going to cause. I promise now I'll behave in the comments ;) if not I'll refrain from posting :D

2. Anonymous Coward
        Terminator

"It doesn't launch until March 2. When it actually arrives, we'll write about it."

Too late Microsoft has already disabled Windows on AMD Ryzen processors: "When you try to scan or download updates through Windows Update, you receive the following error message: Unsupported Hardware" link

2. jake Silver badge

Well, I dunno about ElReg, but I don't have all of my version of the Slackware-current desktop compiled for it yet. My variation of BSD (servers) seems to be running fine, but some of the optimizations are a little flaky. Probably my compiler ... it's a hazard of working with pre-release parts. I certainly wouldn't presume to offer an opinion based on what I've seen so far, even if I were allowed to say anything.

Maybe give it a week or three after it's generally available, and NDAs are expired?

jake, in out of control California ... "We Break Stuff"

2. Known Hero
    Unhappy

Ahh well, still waiting to proven wrong :(

https://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=ryzen&advanced=1&author=&date=the+dawn+of+time&results_per_page=20

*edit, also why are my posts now moderated ? I only asked a reasonable question and have been quite civil about it.

Re: Ryzen

I know, I know. I've been really busy, I'm completely stressed out, give me time. I'm at OCP Summit on Wednesday and cleared Thursday to focus on AMD. In the meantime, a colleague in the UK is covering the Zen server chips for this week.

At El Reg, bad news is a priority: crashes, hacks, cockups, scandals and crime come first. And lots of that has been happening.

PS: We're seeking a full-time semiconductor news reporter to take chips off my hands. If you, a friend or anyone else reading thinks they can cover CPUs, GPUs, ucontrollers and ASICs and FPGAs for The Reg, email me: cwilliams at theregister dot com.

C.

1. jake Silver badge

If I could clear (quite) a few NDAs, would y'all hire me for the chip gig? Or would that cause mass resignation at ElReg?

2. Known Hero

My apologies for my impatience, in my current role, to much work is hard to imagine .... Therefore I was somewhat thoughtless about your situation.

I would absolutely LOVE to review CPU's, but unfortunately I don't have any further experience than just a simple consumer, albeit a eager one. I think somebody with some job history in the semiconductor business would be much better suited

Sorry for moaning on ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon