back to article Don't let cloud slurp all your data. Chew it on the edge, says HPE

Public cloud will become unaffordable for players who reckon the best thing to do with industrial data is shovel it en masse into the white 'n' fluffy stuff, reckons HPE. Colin I'Anson, HPE's IoT evangelist, spoke to The Register at length earlier this week, mainly to extol the virtues of the firm's edge computing offering, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good to see Colin moves from loony to loonier - but always interesting (well often amusing ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems like HPE trying to invent a market by coming up with a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Which actually they've been doing for years (and are in a death spiral as a result)

They are terrified of public cloud so are clinging to the last scraps of FUD that remain. HP's own public cloud was an unmitigated disaster, they missed the boat on Cloud full stop - and as a consequence will be left behind in the next 5-10 years

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree, I was just talking to someone whose company is moving to Google G Suite who is convinced that they need an edge box for latency purposes.... Have people ever used Google or Gmail from their personal computers without an edge box. I haven't noticed any latency issues. Actually, I would fall over if any enterprise on prem app worked with the responsiveness of Google search. Solution in search of a problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like