back to article Microsoft's Q2: LinkedIn In, Mobile out, Azure up, Xbox down

Microsoft is crediting growth in its cloud services with helping it to top expectations for the quarter. For Redmond's 2017 Q2, the returns were mostly strong, though enterprise services and Xbox sales were down: Revenues of $24.1bn were up 1 per cent from Q2 2015. Net income of $5.2bn was up 5 per cent on the year-ago …

1. inmypjs Silver badge

"Facebook-for-suits operation brought...

$228m in revenues, but ended up with a net loss of $100m due to intangible asset write-offs"

ROI for the $26 billion they paid is looking good then :)

1. TheVogon

Re: "Facebook-for-suits operation brought...

Microsoft's market value just went over $500 billion. Yet another set of good results - especially where it really matters for the future - in cloud....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Facebook-for-suits operation brought...

"Yet another set of good results"

At least their grip on the industry has been loosened quite a lot over the last ten years. That company has been such a repetitive obstacle to worldwide tech progress over the past couple of decades that it's good to see them finally getting some strong competition in many of their key markets. I'd hate to see those bad old days return.

2. Frank N. Stein

I stopped using LinkedIN the moment Microsoft got hold of it. No Thanks!!!

1. joed

I bet that MS has kept your profile data. The slurp is one way traffic.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
        Holmes

@joed

"I bet that MS has kept your profile data. The slurp is one way traffic."

LinkedIn propably already kept profiles people already deleted before MS. This rule of thumb applies to all social networks, Google, Dropbox(!) and others who offer free services. If the deleted data still lingers the companies can always blame bugs or rogue coders...

2. Maventi

Good plan! Just look at what happened to Skype, unfortunately.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where Satya Nadella messed up...

Where Satya Nadella messed up was in making Windows 10 free. Microsoft should have charged $40-$50 Dollars for each copy and given $50 in free credit, on registering a credit card with the App Store. Universal Apps might have had a future then. There would have certainly been an incentive for developers, with such a potential slush fund waiting to be tapped.

He got the rollout of Windows 10 fundamentally wrong, to the point Microsoft purposely hobbled Windows 7 Updates and destroyed a decent product, to push this lame duck.

The Privacy/Data slurping issue in Windows 10 (now backported to 7 too) has now come home to roost, with Trump's Privacy declaration regards non-US citizens. At the same time, Microsoft pushes an absolutely pointless Cloud based Privacy tool for Windows 10.

What do they take their users for?

It just exacerbates the whole Privacy thing into Windows 10, as you need a Microsoft Account (with registered phone number) and everyone knows deleting anything held in the cloud, doesn't mean delete.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Where Satya Nadella messed up...

Slurp is faced with a serious choice in the future. EIther they concentrate on enterprise oriented products or they learn to compete in the consumer market. Windows became dominant partially because of smart moves by Gates but also by the incredibly stupid moves by others. The market is splitting into a business area and a consumer area. Device usage is very different in the two areas. Successful marketing in one is usually a complete disaster in the other. The business market is a fairly stable, somewhat boring market, but one were companies can make decent money. The consumer market is a more fickle and one were last month's hot trend may be passe today. In the business market many companies like to partner with a limited number of key suppliers for many sound reasons. Businesses do not mind subscriptions because of how the tax rules treat expenses versus depreciation. While in the consumer market, while more fickle, often inertia rules then suddenly the herd moves to a new thinging. Consumers do not normally benefit from subscriptions and thus more likely to prefer outright purchase.

2. inmypjs Silver badge

"Microsoft should have charged $40-$50 Dollars for each copy and given $50 in free credit"

Sure, forcing you you buy $50 worth of windows 10 crapps would make the steaming pile of spyware shit that thinks it is a phone more palatable?

Everything I loathe about windows 10 was added. Added specifically as an attempt to foist their shitty mobile platform on their captive desktop market. If the added crap that I don't want wasn't so thoroughly baked in I might consider running Win 10.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Everything I loathe about windows 10 was added. Added specifically as an attempt to foist their shitty mobile platform on their captive desktop market. If the added crap that I don't want wasn't so thoroughly baked in I might consider running Win 10."

And yet, everything that went into Windows Phone 10 that made it more unstable and less usable than previous versions that had started to get enterprise market was ported in to support Desktop use. That's why Windows Phone 10 OS failed in the market.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long before they dump Xbox?

4th attempt and it's yet another failure and huge drag on profits. Time to focus on core products, and ditch the poorly performing also rans. Xbox one is the new Zune

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like