back to article Infinidat slims down in UK: Storage upstart has just handful of Brit staff

Infinidat has slimmed its UK office from 17 heads to just four since January 2016, and has not won a new customer in that time, we're told. The company, headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts, is Moshe Yanai's creation that eschews an all-flash design. It sells monolithic storage arrays in competition with EMC VMAX kit, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They need a lesson in maths, and launching a startup outside the US

Gone from 17 staff to 4. But then says they plan to triple headcount in the UK (I make that 12). Erm, how about laying off 5 people instead of 13?

Anyway, you don't launch a startup in the UK with that many staff, no-one does. The last company that went overboard on employees from day one was Pillar - and we all know how that turned out.

I've never seen a customer this desperate that they're using El Reg and Twitter to ask for advice on what file protocol they should develop. They must have no idea of what their target market/customer base is.

Wow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They need a lesson in maths, and launching a startup outside the US

Apparently you need a lesson in comprehension.

Infinidat isn't a UK startup, it's Israel based. They've a few hundred employees worldwide: the UK arm is simply a sales/marketing edifice.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Their technology is fine, but development is slow

Their go-to-market strategy is poor too. They actually entered the UK market in mid 2014. They were talking about SAN, NAS and Object even back then. They were already testing in Barclays at this point. Their smallest box, was a full 42u shelf with a minimum, 2PB deployed. Their first issue then, was they had a small (but lucrative) addressable market, but they didn't have the people/kudos (or channels) to execute in this space. It doesn't appear like much has changed. They now have smaller units to help widen their market, but they still cannot find the right people to execute with what they have - so there's either an issue with recruitment (I cannot believe they hired all bad people) or product strategy, probably both. Problem is the market's moving on and they are not moving fast enough. Shame. I think it's good kit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not impressed that you've named names. At least some of these people are likely to be on the job market and you may be jeopardising their chances given that:

- One of them may be the source of this story

- They may have been pushed out due to failure

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity but I don't think that's true here. I don't expect you to name your leak, as anonymity rightly provides people with the opportunity to speak out, but equally I think the innocent deserve the right to not be associated, whether for better or for worse.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know some of these people...

...and they aren't muppets. The technology isn't feature-complete, but it's got a nice architecture.

Infinidat choosing to slim operations in the UK down isn't even close to being their fault.

AC because I work for the competition.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022