back to article VMware user group fight leaves community diminished

Ongoing tension between Nutanix and VMware has spilled over into Virtzilla's user groups, which have decided to exclude volunteers who work for rivals. That decision has left both vendors somewhat diminished and the user groups' governing body facing possible rebellion by individual user groups. This story starts in the last …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

quite surprised

I'm quite surprised by this, I didn't think anyone still cared enough about VMware to get worked up. They have a nice hypervisor and a huge marketing department but seem to have lost their way in this cloudy landscape.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMware's reaction is more proof for what you could see coming when working in the hyper convergence is your daily business. Nutanix's offering is superior to what VMware has to offer today and I don't see it changing any time soon (architectural limitations). I can only encourage everyone who is looking at hyper convergence as a an alternative to look at the details. They are bigger than you might see at first glance.

I think VMware's reaction is quite obviously a reaction to their worries when looking at Nutanix achieved within such a short time frame.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not surprised

I am pretty sure Nutanix would not allow VMware employees (or SimpliVity, etc. employees) to lead Nutanix user groups. No surprise here.

4. Androgynous Cow Herd

I didn't know

HPE had a user group.

Why?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I didn't know

HPE have a user so why not?

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No access to Nutanix Community for VMware employees.

Try to sign up on https://my.nutanix.com/#/signup with a VMware.com email address.

You'll see "Unauthorized Email Domain"

Nutanix has been doing this for a while. Pretty obvious that Nutanix wants to look like the aggrieved here, when they've used VMUGs as a platform to undermine VMware solutions.

This isn't a technology conversation, but rather a business conversation.

What's the policy for Microsoft User Groups? Citrix User Groups? Pretty certain that neither of these competitor/partners would allow a VMware employee to be a user group leader for them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No access to Nutanix Community for VMware employees.

I just tried signing up with my yahoo.com email - same thing. But comcast.com worked. I wonder what the criteria is?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good business decision, bad marketing decision

VMware's efforts to control VMUG are likely a good business decision. However, for advertising and marketing it is a terrible situation.

I see upstarts like Nutanix chipping away at VMware more and more and making VMware less and less relevant: Large cloud vendors do not use VMware ESXi hypervisor and, since everything is gradually moving to the cloud, I believe you will see their relevance lessen quickly.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How times have changed...

10 Years ago VMware was a cool, innovative company. Microsoft was a bully and Steve Ballmer called Linux a cancer. Fast forward to today and we have powershell and MSSQL server for Linux, the hypervisor has become commoditized, and VMware is grasping to hold on to their market share and alienating their former supporters, employees, and users.

Hopefully the next CEO of VMware (and Cisco - another bully) will be as progressive as Satya Nadella and start embracing their ecosystem instead of pushing them away. I just installed powershell on my Mac last night to evaluate Azure - was never an option before because I didnt want to be walled in by Windows. This is how it works guys, get with the program!

9. agonzalez

competitors

Nutanix hired lot VMware VCDXs around the world few years ago to have a good position in the vmware community/customers at the beginning was fine because all Nutanix appliances were running VMware hypervisor and they were just selling hardware and a hyperconverged storage solution and that didnt conflict with VMware interests.

The problem now is that Nutanix pushes their customers to replace VMware hypervisor with Acropolis KVM hypervisor in their solution and they are not consider anymore part of the vmware ecosystem but a direct competitor and of course you dont want competitors to lead your community beause they will try to steal your customers.

You probably will not see an Oracle employee leading a Microsoft SQL server or .NET community, when oracle interest is on Java/Oracle db.

10. TLC28

Two are Better Than One

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer. Cutting them out altogether reveals insecurity, pettiness and is generally bad for business. No one likes a bully or sympathizes with an obvious opportunist. VMWare and Nutanix should realize the advantages of partnership even if it's not monogamous.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I could see this happening. Its never a good thing to disrupt community groups. I wonder if there were Nutanix guys preaching on Acropolis and what not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like